Author Topic: Updates  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Updates
« on: January 19, 2010, 12:10:07 PM »
From Jackie:

Hi everyone,

I hope you had a wonderful break. I hope that you're all rested for a new semester. I'm sending this e-mail out with a link to Doodle. Because there are a lot of students interested in helping this radio thing move along, we might not be able to find a meeting time that works out for everyone, BUT we'll try to accommodate for as many people as possible. Maybe we'll be lucky and find something that works for everyone. I know that there was mention of meeting on Thursday evenings like the first meeting we held, but the Board of Student Publications will be meeting at that time and that would leave this group without me. We'll try to find another time. If your schedule does not work out, please don't worry. We'll send you updates with all the information that we've covered and how things are moving along.

Over break I was able to find all of my broadcasting books from my previous school. This may help a bit. Ryan has been (or should have been, lol) going over some information I gave him. The idea, as of right now, is to do the Internet station, but run it just like a terrestrial station, until we can make the terrestrial radio station happen. We can get an Internet radio station up and running before the end of the semester if everything works out well. I have talked with Dr. Boyd about securing a space on campus for the station, but I was run around in many, many circles trying to talk with him about it. I will be e-mailing him telling him what would be necessary for a "home" for this venture.

Attached are notes from the meeting that was held in December. It's brief notes, but if you need a refresher, it's here for you!

For those of you unfamiliar with Doodle, you will click the link, put your name in the box and then click the times that you are available for:
http://doodle.com/p7qduhtav7mbu4zq

Thank you!
Jackie DeMolee

Hi everyone,

I received two e-mails from Dr. Boyd (Vice President of Student Outreach Services) today. I have forwarded them onto you below with the e-mail that I originally sent him. This will more than likely be the topic of discussion at our first meeting.

So far, of the people who fill out the Doodle link, Thursday at 4:00 p.m. works out. Because we're not an official student organization, we cannot reserve a room in Memorial Union, however we can meet on the second floor and look for a room that isn't occupied when we meet. If you cannot meet at 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, I'll still send e-mails out keeping people updated.

Please read the e-mails below. Think about what we can do and how we can go about tackling these pieces of a puzzle. I would like to meet next Thursday, for less than an hour because I have a meeting at 5:00 with BOSP. Come with ideas comments and some thoughts. I also hope to hand out some titles to those who are willing next week.

Thank you so much!
Jackie DeMolee

Date: 13 January, 2010 12:11:19 PM CST (CA)
To: Ryan Howard <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject: Fwd: UND Student Radio

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Jackie,

One more thing.  It is always helpful to include in a request for space for a new project information on how the project is to be funded initially and sustained in the future.  Thanks.

Bob

Robert H. Boyd
Vice President for Student and Outreach Services
P.O. Box 7140
Grand Forks, ND  58202
Phone - 701/777-2724
Fax  -  701/777-2596
[email protected]

Date: Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 7:32 AM
Subject: Re: UND Student Radio
To: Jackie DeMolee <[email protected]>

Jackie,

Congratulations on being awarded your degree and admission to graduate studies!

The type of space you are requesting will need to be considered by the Space Committee.  I am a member and would be willing to carry your request forward.  What I will need is a one-page explanation of the radio station project and the space you will need in as specific terms as you can make it.  For instance it would be helpful to know the following: the kind of electrical service needed, size of space needed, and any special accommodations like sound proofing.  Once you have the memo prepared, I would be glad to review it before it goes to committee.  It should be addressed  to Alice Brekke, Vice President for Finance and Operations.  Alice chairs the Space Committee.

It would be helpful to also have some endorsements of the idea from student leaders in Student Government, Barry Brode, faculty from the Department of Communications, and any others you think can speak to the merits of the project.  Such endorsements are not a requirement but they help strengthen the case.

I wish you well as this project continues to develop.

>>> Jackie DeMolee <[email protected]> 1/12/10 2:56 PM >>>

Dear Dr. Boyd,

I apologize that I haven't e-mailed you sooner. Between finals week, graduating with my undergraduate degree, the holidays and admittance into graduate school at UND, I have been extremely busy, as well as preparing for another semester as the chair of the Board of Student Publications.

I know that before winter break I was in contact with your secretary as well as Barry Brode. You called me and left a voicemail when I was taking a test about finding space on campus for this student-run radio station venture that students are trying to put together. We would really like to find a home for the radio station. We have a good lift off on what we plan to do and students are prepared to meet once a week in preparation for putting the radio station over the Internet. We currently have the bandwith and server to run the station, many students who are interested in being on air, my years of background experience in radio broadcasting (as well as my books and education), alumni support, faculty and staff support.

For a "home" we would like to see a room that has a room within it. The room within a room would provide a place for a studio as well as space for students to work and prepare for their shows as well as do research. We have access to computers, an automation system and furnishings for the rooms. The room (and the room within it) would need to have Internet access so that we can "broadcast" online as well as have Internet access for students to work.

I am confident that the students I'm working with have a passion for getting this radio station off the ground. I can't wait to see that students have another venue to express themselves, educate themselves and see student development within their collegiate experience.

If you have any other questions about our request or need more details, please feel free to e-mail me at this address. Thank you very much for your time!
Jackie DeMolee
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:10:43 PM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything