Author Topic: Are we doing it wrong?  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Are we doing it wrong?
« on: January 10, 2012, 04:34:24 PM »
I came across the minutes from a UND meeting last year about healthy lifestyles and other such things.  They were listing off the pluses and minuses of various aspects of UND/Grand Forks.  One of the cons listed was "Bike path around city doesn't make a clear loop."

I had to stop and think about that one, because its not something I had ever considered.  Why isn't there a clear loop, and how could we design one and let people know about it?  Both Watertown and Sioux Falls, SD have big loops (20 miles or more) of bike path that aren't too hard to get on.  Why not Grand Forks?

But this isn't even all of it.  Sure, having a loop would be great and would be a **good internship or senior project** for someone to make a safe, signed loop a reality, but I realized that in all the years I've been here we've had a set of implicit guidelines for rides that nobody has thought to question:
A - except for "around town" rides, the shortest ride we're going to do on the road is 25 miles or so.
B - on an "around town" ride, we all ride in the street.

I'll address B first.  Some people just aren't comfortable riding in the street because they have absolutely no experience.  We usually take University Ave downtown, which is not the friendliest way.  Why do we do that?  New riders (and those are the people we REALLY want,  because they get super gung-ho about cycling) start riding more because they enjoy it (or because they feel like it's a good workout, but that may be later).  They start by riding in the safest places possible (NOT what we have a history of encouraging) and by riding shorter distances . . . which brings me back to point A.

New riders aren't prepared to go 25 miles, no matter how much they delude themselves.  Honestly, we should bring people out for five or 10 miles on the bike path the first time if they are super new.  I know people are able to go that far on little or no experience, but unless they are as masochistic as most of the rest of us, they don't have a great experience and this may be why we don't see people again.  Another reason may be what is technically called "ass pain" from so much saddle time; this would be one of those things people suffer through and don't tell us about because it would be embarrassing; a survey question for another day perhaps.

What I'm suggesting is another step down from even what we've done in the past (the "no hammering first-timers" rule), and saying that for specific rides we're going to do very, very little.  This might be what we need to get people out of the spin room come slightly warmer weather.

Thoughts?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Peter Olejniczak

Re: Are we doing it wrong?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:36:09 PM »
I think you're on to something Sal.  On thing that comes to my mind is how my HS Cross Country teams had set routes that they 1. named 2. gave distance. 3. scaled 1-5 experience/difficulty level. It allowed for teh middle schoolers to build up to the high schooler's.  I agree new riders need to be exposed gradually and expand their comfort zones. I'm only referencing this method,not really suggesting it, because I think new riders find security in knowing what kind of ride their getting into.  The forum is a great place to find whether its "easy distance" or "interval," yet we could go a step futher by using site like mapmyride to post what the ride looks like for new riders?  I know riding university ave to the Greenway could be crazy at times, but maybe some riders can meet us at certain points like blue moose so they can still ride the "path" section" if they aren't comfortable on the road yet, but what do I know hahaha

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 06:53:36 PM »
I agree that utilizing MapMyRide more could be useful.  There are some routes that have been mapped by the club, but there could be more (and they could be more completely described).

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/my_routes/?username=UNDCycling

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 07:12:58 PM »
your right beek, I never thought about it either.. things will need to be changed a bit.
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline Riley

• UND
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 11:51:07 PM »
I totally agree. A little change from what we're doing in order to get others interested and keep them interested would be good.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 01:06:07 AM »
The bike/multi-use trails in town are a love/hate relationship.  So many good stretches, but mixed with streets it just becames a PITA.  I feel like the western part of town is a maze knowing where there are  trails (if you haven't investigated it in advance).  Not to mention, I always feel safer crossing intersections in the street rather than on the path.  Roads in this section are also busier and I'm not going to lie, taking the lane on 42nd makes me a bit nervous. 

With regards to road rides, I think you can put in some decent beginner rides on the greenway assuming you are willing to deal with sporadic ped traffic.  Entire loop + EGF side is 20 miles or so?  Which begins my next rant: the intersection at the point bridge.  Talk about getting out of a ride groove to go through that light.  They should extend the trail below the point bridge, then build a ped/bike bridge across the river so the greenway feels less disjointed.

My typical GF loop = See below
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/63857878

Greenway loop: is anywhere from 10-20 miles

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 11:31:47 AM »
I think you're on to something Sal.  On thing that comes to my mind is how my HS Cross Country teams had set routes that they 1. named 2. gave distance. 3. scaled 1-5 experience/difficulty level. It allowed for teh middle schoolers to build up to the high schooler's.  I agree new riders need to be exposed gradually and expand their comfort zones. I'm only referencing this method,not really suggesting it, because I think new riders find security in knowing what kind of ride their getting into.  The forum is a great place to find whether its "easy distance" or "interval," yet we could go a step futher by using site like mapmyride to post what the ride looks like for new riders?  I know riding university ave to the Greenway could be crazy at times, but maybe some riders can meet us at certain points like blue moose so they can still ride the "path" section" if they aren't comfortable on the road yet, but what do I know hahaha
Peter, I think these are great ideas.  Route names, distances and difficulties could be added to the club website with links to the MapMyRide maps.  "Difficulty" around here is all about the same until you take wind and the group into consideration.

Do you mean meeting non-UND students somewhere downtown?  That would be something to consider depending on which direction the ride was headed.

Peter Olejniczak

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 10:04:16 AM »
Non-UND students and maybe those students not yet comfortable riding on the road.  Pretty much just meeting at the "trailhead."

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 10:17:20 AM »
How are students (I'm assuming who live on campus) going to make it to the trailhead if they're not yet comfortable riding on the road?  Couldn't the club ride just take a different route from campus?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic