Author Topic: Bike problem  (Read 7382 times)

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
Re: Bike problem
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 12:13:06 AM »
SBS took care of the hub. Cleaned and winter greased. We'll see how that goes before I try more expensive options.

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: Bike problem
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 11:38:36 AM »
Yeah going single speed is pointless here. A single speed freewheel is a freehub contained in the mechanism. Also, if you went SS, you could just use your current RD for a chain tensioner.

Going fixed for the winter would require chain modifications. Basically just use two chain connectors and then you can remove a section of chain for fixed and add it for geared. For fixed, just bypass your RD altogether and make sure its out of the way. (via shifting)

The reason to go fixed is because there are no moving parts to freeze up or break. You also get insane amounts of traction control from your legs since you can instantly feel the wheel slip and just ride on the edge of grip the whole time.

As for a wheel, I doubt you'll find a wheel with a cassetted hub and a fixed threadup on the other side without having something custom made. So I wouldn't get into that too much. Getting a nice rear wheel is a possibility though.

@ MArio... yeah, thats an Easton hub.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything