Author Topic: First Impressions of the new Fitness Center  (Read 5778 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
First Impressions of the new Fitness Center
« on: September 26, 2006, 12:05:48 PM »
Okay, so I've got a bad habit of taking people's comments and copying them to here so I can reply.  But it does manage to try to start more conversation at this site at the same time as letting me get my opinion in.  So there :D

Quote from: Matt Schill, DS comments
Matt Schill
posted 9/22/06 @ 10:17 AM EST

What national attention has the Wellness Center recieved? Seems like a claim you'd like to back up.
Story

I Agree!  Although I haven't been over there yet to check it out, I sure would like to know what the big deal is about it.  What do we have that other fitness centers don't? 

I suppose I'll post again after I've been over, but I'm sure someone else here has been there to see what's up.  Who wants to give their first impressions?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline GrahamKracker

• UND
Re: First Impressions of the new Fitness Center
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 04:39:55 PM »
I think its a great Gym.  As for Wellness, I don't think a kitchen, and a room with a waterfall/fireplace cover all areas of wellness.  I would have much preferred a sauna, or whirlpool. 
  I also think that they should be in charge of all of the gear they check out in the bottom of the Union, like the kayaks, canoes, and camping gear. 

On a lighter note...one comment I made when I was leaving was "I love this place because after touring the place and seeing everything, the only thing "Sioux" in the place, was me!"   lolol............

Offline lynsey

• UND
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 07:23:56 PM »
In response to the copied comment....At the Student Government meeting on 9/17, Lori Betting said that seven national magazines had given the Wellness Center attention in their pages.

I haven't checked it out yet, mainly because 10 a.m. Monday was the best time for me to go, and it wasn't open yet. Right now, I have little desire to go. There's no pool or raquetball court, and parts of it, especially the spin room, just seem disgustingly excessive. How is a fog machine necessary or desirable?

Offline talksalot83

• UND
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 11:48:07 PM »
The spin room is what I like to call "the closest to a club you'll get in North Dakota." With a disco ball, strobe lights, etc...

Offline wxgirl

• UND
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 12:34:28 AM »
You mean to tell me a brand new fitness center in a state where indoor pools are kind of the only way to swim which is a great workout does not have one?  How sad.  I wanna go back to CMU with its large two pools to swim in the the largest hot tub I have ever seen.  I lived in that thing during finals week ... best way to reward a hardworkout too.  Sore muscles need hot tubs  :)
"Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet for certain"~DMB

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 09:41:00 AM »
We never had a hot tub for the general students, they were only in the training room where I went to undergrad.  The rest of the fitness center was pretty exceptional though, so I'm curious how supposedly great this one is going to be.  I've heard that they are putting a pool in eventually.

Does anyone know how much extra they are charging for the climbing wall?  That's pretty  :bs:

Offline talksalot83

• UND
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 09:55:10 AM »
I'm not sure of the cost for the rock wall, but I did see the layout for where the pool is supposed to go. There would be a "waterfall" and I think it's estimated at $10 million. The mock up looked nice and the guy who was speaking said that if UND had the money right now (and I don't know how true this is), they'd start buiding the pool.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 10:07:34 AM »
Rock wall is $15 per year, $10 per semester.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 12:39:19 PM »
So I went over yesterday afternoon.  I'm more impressed than I thought I would be, although in a conversation with commando eli we disagreed on this.  However, there is a lot of wasted space and not many facilities.  The building is not designed well, or with people working out in mind. 

The ceilings are low in part of the lifting room and in the run-on-a-treadmill room. 

The television thing?  Eh, not so impressed.  I think that money could have been used better elsewhere. 

Having to cross the track in order to get to that room?  Dumb, and dangerous considering all those pillars are right there blocking your view.

Only having three lanes, when a lot of people like to run to warm up?  Dumb as well.

The climbing wall is nice, but it should be bigger.  For the same reason, there should be more weights, machines, etc., and more space to actually work out.  Why is this?  Because this school has 10,000 students, and the fitness center looks about the same size as the one at my undergrad, which has only 2000.  A good rock wall would be beneficial to EVERYONE in this area, and more machines/weights would make everything easier. 

Why the chairs upstairs, couldn't this have been used for, say, more equipment, or stretching mats, or plyo balls or something?  There is a sign by the track that says "Stretch only in the appropriate area."  Where might this area be?

Now, I don't mean to be entirely negative--I think this space is great compared to the old fitness center.  I can see myself going and lifting and climbing once the first rush wears off.  I just think that it was sort of ill-planned, and could potentially have been reeeeaally cool.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 01:21:07 PM »
Go use it.  It will be fun.  Exercise makes you happy.

Offline wxgirl

• UND
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 03:15:49 PM »
Now I do want to go there ... they have a rock climbing wall.  I wonder if I can still belay?  I did it a lot my freshman year but quit because it was on the same day as my meteorology club after my freshamn year XP.  One day ... I shall free myself from the cubicle and check it out
"Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet for certain"~DMB

Offline commando eli

• UND
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 02:40:12 PM »
I want to use the gym also but am worried about it being too crowded.  also I question why they sold all the old gym equipment...when there could now be two places to workout instead of one....any thoughts on this?
You would be surprised what matt will do for a cookie and a glass of orange juice. -rvb

Offline lynsey

• UND
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 11:15:42 PM »
They traded in the old equipment in an effort to keep the costs down.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic