Author Topic: High School Cycling  (Read 9251 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
High School Cycling
« on: March 08, 2008, 09:16:06 AM »
Hey all,
I've been thinking about this for a couple weeks now.  I know all of the Cycling Club isn't from the GFK area, but I thought it was an interesting idea nonetheless.

I think a large part of the problem with Grand Forks is that there isn't a lot to do.  I say this as a grad student, and so I'm old enough to get into bars and to do pretty much what I want to do.  I can't really imagine what it's like for the local high schoolers, especially over the summers.

I was wondering whether anyone was interested in working on some sort of "high school cycling club" that would be around to get kids involved in the sport, by loaning them with some road-worthy bicycles, teaching them how to ride, how to maintain their rides, and how to follow the rules of the road.  I think it would be beneficial for a lot of people: giving the teenagers something to do, getting more cyclists on the roads, possible recruitment for UND, etc.  If you get the kids involved, maybe the parents will become interested, maybe they'll start paying attention to cyclists more or even start riding themselves.

It's just an idea, and maybe you guys already do outreach like this, but if you don't, I think it would be right up your alley.  Whaddaya think?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: High School Cycling
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 01:38:25 PM »
Personally I think its a great idea.  You are involving others and it can be a recruitment tool.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 02:48:54 PM »
If I stay this summer UND Cycling will likely be hosting a "Cycling Camp"

Thats like one of my dream "jobs". There is no high school racing team in NY (in the Buffalo area anyways) however there are plenty of high schoolers that stop out and race with us. One of the biggest faults that the club has had over the past years is that they've never done anything that SOLIDLY sets up a future. Toaster and I were talking about this last night actually.

This is the purpose of our kids race. This is what the purpose of the former GF cycling club was as well. I've heard from some x members that there is already talks amongst the ranks to start that program up again... all fused by the kids race.

But this is on our list for even an afterschool program for the fall semester.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 07:37:45 PM »
An afterschool program is really what I was thinking, and one that could be extended into the summer.  What sort of things are you going to do for the Cycling Camp (if it happens)?

Offline Plantains

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 10:20:10 PM »
There are pros and cons for an afterschool program. Mostly cons though. Of course... I speak in regards to the over policed NY streets though.

Here's a good thread on it. http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=335975

One of the target goals that we as a club NEED to have is bringing a future product into the system. This is what we're hoping to eventually accomplish with our kids race (may 3rd).

Eventually... enough interest could be brewed up and you could get some kids that are interested but need the guidance.

Such things a cycling camp would cover would be:
1. Rules of the road and cycling etiquitte.
2. How to properly handle the bike (braking, accelerating, clipless systems)
3. How to properly care and maintain your bike.
4. How to ride in a group.
5. Pacelining and types of pace lines.
6. Beginner racing.

etc. etc. etc.

I have a huge amount of experience on the bike in both recreational riding... and racing both road and MTB. So my connections are there, my resources (brain) are great... I just need my army.

Please feel free to critique. Certain cyclist minds are far different than others. Obviously the way to make a good thing better is through discussion (plus it'll get posts flowing  :o)

Laters.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 09:19:06 AM »
So the kid's race is going to be everyone up through high school?  Do you think you will get them on board if you call them "kids"?  Just thinking they may think they're too good for a "kid's" race (if they are anything like what I remember high schoolers being like).

After school as in after school, but not necessarily affiliated with the school itself, at least not right off the bat.  If you get enough kids interested in cycling, they can push it on the school to become an "official" club much easier than we from the outside can (plus you get parents involved, etc.). 

I'm dreaming, but in the end it would be sweet for Grand Forks to be known for its excellent high school cycling rivalries...

I definitely think the interest is there, you just need to approach things in a way that works.

Your idea of cycling camp is about parallel with mine.  It would be very interesting to be involved in (if I were going to be around, and if I could ever get time for a real ride...).

Offline Plantains

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:33:21 PM »
No... the kids race doesn't include high schoolers (but it doesn't not include them)

The event and the race course are setup to target elementary schools.

Grand Forks used to have so much cycling... for lack of a better term I'll use this incorrect one "ethnocentrism". Andy Hampston is from GFK. He raced for 7-11 in the pro - tour. He was a hero to alot of people here.

Our Advisor Dr. Yearwood did alot of significant things with cycling as well and the "old" Grand Forks Cycling Club which has all but been disbanded (unfortunately)... well I've been hearing some rumors flying around that with this new resurgence of cycling enthusiasm in the area that they're talking about getting back together.

I feel as though this entire town really still enjoys cycling. I mean... everywhere we go, people say... hey are you guys the cycling team? People at the bakery... hey nice bikes, where'd you ride from? People want to know... these people do ride, they WANT to ride.

We just need to give them that voice. It sounds gay... but we need to be out there in our spandex so other people say... hey... we can wear spandex too if all the college teams do it. You know... stupid nonsense like that.

For anyone that has a bike you should know that every time you're riding it around the area you're effectively taking part in changing the community.

But we'll see I guess. Don't forget to come to our kids race! As the DS or as MBK.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 02:36:36 PM »
Okay, glad you cleared me up on the kids race.  That's what I thought you meant by it in the first place.

It was great when Andy Hampsten was here-so many people showed up for that ride it seemed!  Maybe this was a normal amount--I don't get to go on group rides very often.

We just need to give them that voice. It sounds gay... but we need to be out there in our spandex so other people say... hey... we can wear spandex too if all the college teams do it. You know... stupid nonsense like that.

For anyone that has a bike you should know that every time you're riding it around the area you're effectively taking part in changing the community.
I couldn't agree more.  That's sort of why I cleaned up my act when riding in town, because I don't want to screw over future cyclists by being a dick to drivers (or by not obeying the rules of the road, but I do that anyway).

I'll be there as MBK.  Hopefully the DS will be too, at least for photography.  If everything goes better, I'll get to ride with you guys sometime before May...

Offline nathan.barten

• UND
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 04:59:38 PM »
Guys, I'm diggin' this thread!  Listen, I'll be around all summer long, plus I work at the shop, plus I've already been trying to get a few of the young whippersnappers who come in to the shop to get on a bike, therefore, (and I realize that the club's got enough on its plate at this point, but...) I propose we roll with it.  I think an "after school program" would be extremely beneficial to the area (and almost as much fun as the cartoons I used to watch after high school).  I'll be more than happy than to make flyers and get this thing going.  Obviously at this point, there's a limited number of bikes that could be used, so at least in the early stages resources would be low.  Send me all of the ideas you fellas can muster.  Also, if anyone has access to some "less than perfect" road bikes (i.e. old Trek 1000's), let me know.  I'll have something ready within the week.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 05:11:51 PM »
Most excellent.  Once my Summer plans solidify, I'll be able to say whether I'm in or out (even if it's just riding point for the person who is really in charge of things).

Offline Plantains

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 08:30:03 PM »
The Green Bike Project is going to be utilizing some bikes that UPD has stolen. Which is funny, because when I asked them about this they never got back to me... ever.

Im all about getting this rolling. The club DEFINITELY does NOT have even REMOTELY enough on their plate (yes Im being serious) so this would work out well.

I would say that a good starting point would be to run either a week long (meet 5 times) or a month long (meet once or twice a week) "camp".

I think the goal of this should not just be to promote cycling, but to also promote racing. The NUMBER ONE reason why people don't race their bikes is because they're scared about what to expect. I think that is well illustrated with some of the less committed club members. Having racing be a focus will give an end goal. You have to have a REASON for people to show up to something like this every day.

I think that the curriculum that I listed is what I've been thinking in my head, and I think the culmination of the camp could be to hold an actual race.

Such things a cycling camp would cover would be:
1. Rules of the road and cycling etiquitte.
2. How to properly handle the bike (braking, accelerating, clipless systems)
3. How to properly care and maintain your bike.
4. How to ride in a group.
5. Pacelining and types of pace lines.
6. Beginner racing.

We could even run multiple camps... like... if they're week long run them once every week or 2, if they're month long then do them every month. Then have a race before school starts (August because then they can have fans around the univ and we might get good publicity out of it) where all the kids from different camps can compete. Furthermore, I think there will be enough cyclists with racing and ACTUAL good skills left during summer so that even if only 1 kid signs up it won't be awkward.

But this idea has some SERIOUS potential. It might even make me stay for summer? Im sure we could get classrooms to discuss certain things and I think the shop would be more than willing to do some basic mechanic teaching things.

We should perhaps get a meeting going with this in mind for next week (after Easter) sometime.

Offline nathan.barten

• UND
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 08:17:40 AM »
Yar, Yar, and Yar... (that's pirate for YES!)  I must say I agree with everything you said Mr. Cardarelli.  Also, It's good to have you and MBK and myself all on the same page here.  I've already sent an inquiry to the Grand Forks Public Schools Athletic Department.  Just to get our name out and in the minds of some school officials.  Obviously, this will be open to more than just school athletes, but I didn't know what other admin to send it to you know.  I'm totally down with running multiple camps.  I've also got a general liability waiver mostly ready to go.  I can have a flyer ready by the end of the week, then if we can get a meeting together early next week, we can get it to Junior and Senior High schools in the area by the end of next week.  I know some kids in TRF also would be interested in something like this, so I'll get in contact with them and Crookston and also Devils Lake area Schools.  I think I could also get someone from U of MN Crookston to post some flyers 'round there.  Let me know what you're thinkin and whathaveyou!

Peace,
Rock Lobster out!

Offline Plantains

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 09:30:20 AM »
Good work rock lobster.

I think we should see about getting Ski/Bike involved in this meeting and see if we could perhaps see about what role they would like to play in this.

UND Cycling has the ability to change things, but companies that are permanently located here have the ability to make the change permanent.

Offline nathan.barten

• UND
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 09:55:56 AM »
Yar!  I kinda figured I'd pitch it to Pat and/or Terry this afternoon when I go to work.  Two steps ahead of ya man!  Actually, I think I'm going to get Ski and Bike in, then I know the bike manager at Scheels, (he's a really cool guy, comes to the shop on occasion) I think I'll see if he's in to help out too.  There's no reason two competing companies can't come together on something like this that'll be good for cycling in all of GF.  Peace, and good tidings... ?

Later,
Rock Lobster
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 09:58:09 AM by nathan.barten »

Offline Plantains

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 11:09:51 AM »
I dunno if Im down to get Scheels involved. Im not against them at all... but I want ski/bike to be the place where people go. I don't think we would need anything from Scheels?

Offline nathan.barten

• UND
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 11:35:59 AM »
Well, just for like putting a poster up and whatnot, is what I was thinking.  There's still a huge population of riders who strictly shop at Scheels for unknown reasons plus many out-of-towners (i.e. TRF, Grafton, Devils Lake, etc.) who don't even know that the Ski and Bike even exists and we need to tap into them as well.  We shouldn't need any actual resources from them, you are correct on that note.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
Ok goody 2 shoes.

Also, keep in mind that these flyers would obviously want to be passed out at our kids race. Thats a straight up target audience there.

This idea is EXACTLY what I was pointing out to people. The cycling club always has good things going on. But there's never a plan to build off of something.

The plan with the kids race was long term of course and eventually, people will become more involved in cycling (if we keep holding it). But NOW. There is an IMMEDIATE goal that stems from it.

NOW. UNDCC has something to be a part of.

Offline nathan.barten

• UND
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 01:31:31 PM »
YO!!

Offline Plantains

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 05:05:28 PM »
Im resurrecting this thread.

Rock Lobster. I know you and beek and myself have been the go-to squad on this project. Mainly you of course now that Im going back to NY.

I VERY much want to collaborate on this program however.

I just got an interview as the Mountain Biking Coordinator for all of the YMCA's in the Buffalo Niagara region. The guy was stoked too because he said I had 10 fold the amount of experience as the next closest chap.

So I'll have to develop or at least organize my program as well!

So I say lets keep this open as a resource.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 05:13:07 PM »
I'll have to get together with Rock Lobster sometime and see what the deal is--I can help out as much as I can, but being around this summer for an extended period of time is going to be hit or miss.

So let's chat.  What have we done, what should we do, and when can we do it?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic