Author Topic: Enrollment in ND  (Read 10919 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Enrollment in ND
« on: October 08, 2009, 04:53:43 PM »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: Enrollment in ND
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 06:34:31 PM »
what are you getting at though?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 06:45:16 PM »
I'm not getting at anything; I thought it was an interesting dataset.

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 07:08:37 PM »
Oh... that it is on account of them BARELY holding onto a D1 status. I think the whole system is pretty stupid tho.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:09:25 PM »
I still wonder if we wouldn't be better off with more jobs as apprentice/journeyman style learning as opposed to getting a piece of paper... sure enrollment is up but doesn't that mean harder chance for people to find a job requiring those degree's??

just had a conversation about this today and threw it out there. Would like to hear other opinions on it.

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 01:17:55 PM »
Im a very blue collar type of dude. One of the reasons i wanted to fly was this. Its very... learn from the dudes that fucking did it. Not the dudes that wrote books. Like realistically, I'm learning things from dudes that learned things, from dudes that learned things, from dudes that learned things, from the wright brothers. You know.

Also why I enjoyed being an EMT.
Also why I have an affinity for mechanical things.
Also why I... I agree. I just agree.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 02:13:42 PM »
You know I like both.  The college experience provides many useful things ranging from general knowledge topics to social experiences to learning how to live in society.  However, I think it is imperative to have things like on the job training and learning from people that know how to do it.  That is all very important.

You are an EMT?

As far as enrollment, its good and bad.  But I think we need to focus on educating people from ND and I suppose the region and serving the people of ND through various programs, etc.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 11:49:24 PM »
As far as enrollment, its good and bad.  But I think we need to focus on educating people from ND and I suppose the region and serving the people of ND through various programs, etc.
I think its a great idea, but when I can make as much as someone with a 4 year degree, even more. with no college piece of paper. Its quite a sad place to have a job. (this is happening with my girlfriend and me right now. She has a 4 year teaching degree. I have 2.5 years of college done, with 4 attempts at college algebra and no passing grades yet :D And I make more)

Maybe in another year I can justify going back to school to finish my degree. But right now when I'm making enough to get by. Why put myself into debt more, when I can't guarantee I'll be making more/be able to pay it back. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have my degree. But right now there doesn't seem to be any real motivating factor to make me get it. Will I make more money? Most likely not, will I have more bills after I'm done? Most definitely. The pro's and con's list is heavily listing in one direction :(
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 11:50:56 PM by Meest »

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 04:29:10 PM »
That is true and its a sad situation.  I suppose its not always that case, but it is at times.  I the option should be left up to the individual, they should know whats best for them.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• UND
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 05:52:40 PM »
Some people just don't need college.  Sadly, I don't think I'm one of them.
IT'S A TRAP!!!!1!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 05:54:16 PM »

I would think that a lot of people are in school just because everyone else is.

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 10:31:41 PM »

I would agree with that also. many are just force fed in high school that you need to go to college after high school. I don't think thats the case. I myself would have taken a different route if my parents hadn't pushed the idea and such. I'd already most likely have my current car paid off, along with being able to start my own business in place quicker than what it currently is taking... but meh. life is learning. can't live in the past.

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 07:32:36 PM »

College is the new highschool and grad school is the new college. Advanced degrees (doctorates) are the new masters degrees.

People are DEFINITELY only going because its socially the thing to do. Many people have no idea why they're here (hence the party scene (there are good parties, and then there are parties that get thrown because people have nothing better to do)) Also, I see a LOT of people struggling in their fields in the sense that... if you get a degree in say marketing, you MUST get a job in marketing... which is completely untrue.

pmp6nl: Yeah... i used to be an EMT back in NY. I let it expire when I moved to ND tho and didn't use it while I was in NC. I've been 1st aid and CPR cert'd up until this year tho. But thats sort of hokey to me.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 01:45:06 AM »

College is the new highschool and grad school is the new college. Advanced degrees (doctorates) are the new masters degrees.

People are DEFINITELY only going because its socially the thing to do. Many people have no idea why they're here (hence the party scene (there are good parties, and then there are parties that get thrown because people have nothing better to do)) Also, I see a LOT of people struggling in their fields in the sense that... if you get a degree in say marketing, you MUST get a job in marketing... which is completely untrue.

So how do you change this situation, or do you even bother?

pmp6nl: Yeah... i used to be an EMT back in NY. I let it expire when I moved to ND tho and didn't use it while I was in NC. I've been 1st aid and CPR cert'd up until this year tho. But thats sort of hokey to me.

Cool, im actually a paramedic

CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 08:55:57 AM »

So how do you change this situation, or do you even bother?

Cool, im actually a paramedic

eeehhhh... it requires a change of societal norms which won't happen. In the 50's it was the thing to hit up high school, so people did. Now its the thing to goto college so people do. Somehow this country has decided that college = millionaire. Since our lifestyles in this country are based totally on being 100% financially successful, this is what people do.

Sweet that ur a medic. Where at? I had considered getting my certs here to do work when I moved, but with all my other nonsense there's no way I'd have time. Do you guys have the same "scale" as we did... EMT-B EMT-D AEMT-I AEMT-P??? Then of course NRAEMT-P

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 01:06:57 PM »
Yea, aparently its cool to become deep in debt from student loans. that will make you financialy successfull! :D

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 02:41:58 PM »
Well in true American form, someone buys first and figures out their payments later.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 04:07:34 PM »
I've got $30,000 or so in debt.

I figure my educational experience was worth going without things like a new car for a few years.

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 08:40:39 AM »
I've got $30,000 or so in debt.

I figure my educational experience was worth going without things like a new car for a few years.

yea i was saying that as most of my friends that are coming out of college aren't finding anything worth while, nor have they for a few years now. My girlfriend is baffled that she's making the same as me, when she has a 4 year degree and i have 2.5 years of college/tech school and no piece of fancy embossed paper. She's going for her masters now... hopefully she might make some money with that... :D

I'm quite happy with my decision to wait and get some "Life" experience before persuing a degree... its given me a better idea of what I'd like to do, and what would be a good decision for me, as I know now what and how to market my skill's.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 10:30:01 PM »
Ohhh how I love my college debt; though I think it is a good investment for me.  While I have probably as much debt as Sal, I think it was worthwhile and I will make it back someday.  But personally I am not going to college so I can get a job that makes a lot of money, I am going so I can get a job that I will like... but that is just my situation.

I am not working in ND as I didnt transfer my license.  I actually jumped from EMT-B to Paramedic.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic