Author Topic: Veto of Spring Concert by Student Body President!  (Read 5612 times)

Offline hellonewman

• UND
Veto of Spring Concert by Student Body President!
« on: November 17, 2006, 01:37:48 PM »
Thank God Nate Martinsdale finally put an end to this Spring Concert debacle.....this has been the best move I've heard this year done by student government....the Spring Concert is a ridiculous expense to put upon students of this university....even the senators barely wanted it (narrowly approving it 14-7).  Its nice to see that someone in the student government office used their head on this one to prevent ludicrous spending of our student money.......

Offline talksalot83

• UND
Re: Veto of Spring Concert by Student Body President!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 02:37:01 AM »
There's more behind the veto than meets the eye.

Student senate can spend $40,000 on "free" Student Legal Services (which ALSO had survey similar to the one UPC had), but no on a spring concert? Because of what, misleading questions and the amount of money spent? Please!

Now, I don't care so much about the band or who goes, but it's one of a few things that the students do care about, 800 students took a survey to prove that they care about it.

I wonder how students feel about their monies being used for something like, say, a light-up billboard outside of Memorial Union.

The money issue (which Student Senate is encountering now) has been a slippery slope for a few years now. They're running out of money to support everything they have in the past.

Offline sj08

• UND
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 01:38:30 AM »
There is a lot more than what meets the eye. The difference between spending money on the spring concert and the legal services is that the spring concert is a one-time event that has no direct benefit to students besides allowing them to have a good time, when there are lots of ways to do that without spending an outrageous amount of students money.  The reason there was such a debate in SEnate about it was because it was known as a "free" concert to students. But...nothing is free. Everything has a cost. St Cloud State has concerts. They charge 15-20 dollars for them. With that concept, students who don't want their money going to a concert, don't have to buy a ticket.

I support the veto. It was obviously a tough decision, and maybe not popular--but it was smart--financially responsible. There are so many things that could be done with 55,000 dollars as opposed to using it on one thing. I encourage everyone to put their heads together and figure out how the money should be used and bring it up with a STu-GOV member. There's sooooo much we could do and make things better for everyone.

Now...agree or disagree....:)

Offline talksalot83

• UND
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 08:20:26 AM »
Ah... yes. That "legacy" that every senate wants to leave behind because a concert is only a one time event. They can spend the students' money on something that will be around much longer!

Unless my student fees start going to lowering tuition, I don't give a damn how many lasting programs they come up with just to say they came up with lasting programs that add little value. In my humble opinion, that's exactly what SLS is/was. I wonder if they're even keeping track of how many people use the service.

Light up billboard outside of Memorial, that's a great idea! They can sell advertising on it (like they did on the banner that used to be above University Ave) and then recoup some funds. *shakes head*

I think it's time that I put up or shut up.

Offline sj08

• UND
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 11:22:52 AM »
Just to put this out there....lower tuition is a priority. it was actually another reason for the veto of the concert. students pay enough in fees as it is. Come January, going in front of legislators, they don't want to see 35 percent of the money spent on a concert.  It would not help matters. Especially if we want to get more funds from the legislature.

Offline talksalot83

• UND
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 11:28:04 AM »
Uh huh, we heard that argument from Cripe. I've heard other things from senators. I've heard a lot of the arguments.

We're almost through first semester. They've got a handful of months after winter vacation to figure out how to spend a lot of money on something, otherwise it's going to sit in the account.

Offline lynsey

• UND
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 08:37:36 PM »
Maybe it's better off just sitting in the account.

Offline sj08

• UND
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 09:05:59 PM »
currently if the money just sits in the account it carries over into the next fiscal year. Which, the way i look at it, would give us more money next year. It's been suggested to make the concert a bi-annual thing. or do something else not as spendy. So it's a good time to look into these things. and to kind of get on my soapbox here (sorry by the way!lol)... don't rely strictly on stugov members to get things done. if you want something done...do something about it. as far as lowering tuition goes...500 plus voices are a lot better than 5 or 6.  i know i'll be in biz this winter during the session for that reason.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 10:06:52 AM »
Any news yet on where the money is going to go instead of toward this year's concert?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline sierra24

• UND
  • contigo
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 01:03:44 AM »
I heard they are breaking it down into four smaller events a year (so that it's not just one big event);  two events each semester. . .the name of the events will be called "Night Life" and if it does well this coming spring semester it will probably replace the big spring concert event.

Offline sj08

• UND
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 03:16:05 PM »
the "nightlife" bill was tabled in the senate last sunday, so nothing is official with that. the big problem with that program is the group that brought it to the senate wants so much money to go for  the salaries of 3 coordinators that would work with it. and senate doesn't necessarily want money to go toward paychecks. but that is one thing that is being looked at.  we'll see  how it goes in the senate at the next meeting i guess. :)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 04:55:06 PM »
I think you could find people who would be more than willing to coordinate entertainment without being paid.  The senate doesn't have to be in total control over everything, either--why not call for a group of volunteers who will run this thing with senate oversight?  That way you wouldn't have to pay anyone, and the people who are probably the best at making connections in the entertainment industry are the ones who would volunteer anyway.

I would like to see more than two events a semester though.  I think that still makes it into a bigger deal than it needs to be.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline docjenn

• UND
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 07:48:47 PM »
I think the bigger problem is that UPC is not willing (or able?) to raise money on their own.  Every other student group that asks for money for anything has to prove that they are contributing some money with their own fundraising.

I was a senator a couple years ago and one of the UPC members told me straight up that they did not plan on raising any money or looking for sponsors.  Why the heck not?  I think senate needs to change their rules and allow UPC to find a sponsor if they want to do a huge event like this. 

I think the Veto was right - because who wants to spend all that money to entertain a few people for a few hours?  UPC needs to find different funding.

Offline sj08

• UND
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 08:24:37 PM »
i totally agree. i was a senator at a different school last year and part of the requirements to be eligible to get money from student senate was that you had to raise 15% of the amount you request for your budget on your own.  student organizations need to prove they are self-sufficient.  I know i am definitely more cautious about where my money goes. students think the concert is free, but like nate said...it's not free. it's a misconception, and this year with the veto i think more students are aware (or at least i hope so) that everything has a price. If I had things my way, I'd say organizations cannot come request money without proving they can raise some money on their own.
ok i'm done ranting.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic