Author Topic: A review of the Student Journal, a new publication at UND  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
A review of the Student Journal, a new publication at UND
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:33:23 PM »
A review of the Student Journal, a new publication at UND
by Sal Atticum

The Student Journal is a new (three issues out yesterday) publication put out by a group of UND students, some of whom are current representatives in Student Government and paid for in part by the Board of Student Publications. The general feeling seems to be that a second student publication on campus would give the Dakota Student some competition and eliminate the supposed bias in the student-run news coverage.

I* have to admit, I was surprised when I saw the second (and now the third) issue. Whatever negative reaction the Student Journal is getting from the more vocal members of the UND community, it looks like they're getting a fair amount of support. Although it seems that the editors and I disagree politically (I'm rather liberal) and ideologically (I wouldn't have asked for money when I was already selling advertising space), having two newspapers on campus is A Good Thing(TM) and something that should be supported (although not financially) by the students.

Full article . . .
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:11:20 PM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Toaster

• UND
Re: A review of the Student Journal, a new publication at UND
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 05:38:27 PM »
I agree that it is a benefit to our campus to have a second student newspaper. However, it is not a benefit if the paper is so poorly composed that it could damage the reputation of the student body at UND. The Student Journal is edited EXTREMELY poorly. The number of punctuation, grammatical, and style errors in general is so large that it brings the overall quality of the paper down to a level that is laughable. The design is even worse, ever hear of justifying the text? When you look at the front page, is there anything that tells you that your reading a publication from UND? Nope.

If it were a publication that I had put out, I would surely be embarrassed. Wouldn't you at least look at another newspaper to see how it's put together? My biggest fear is that potential new students that tour UND will pick one up. What would your first impression be if you saw such trash being distributed around campus? 
Just try and step to UND Cycling if you wanna test your luck.

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• UND
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 06:05:11 PM »
Toaster what did you think of this weeks?  They must have heard from you and Sal (his article was in there), they justified the text!
IT'S A TRAP!!!!1!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 01:11:38 PM »
This topic is locked, but you can still comment at http://www.campusdakota.com/node/32
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

realistic
anything