Author Topic: Summer Reading? (a tiny book review)  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Summer Reading? (a tiny book review)
« on: June 05, 2007, 09:52:46 AM »
I love reading.  It's too bad that I don't have a lot of time for it anymore, but I still like to read a good book whenever possible.  I even read those classics I never got around to reading in high school, which everyone else did (although I don't think I'll ever read "The Catcher in the Rye").  I just reread "Heart of Darkness," and it was amazingly beautiful (although it screws with my head even more now).  At the moment I'm reading "The Lord of the Rings" for the 30 bazillionth time.

As a comparison, here are the top 10 8 favorite books on Facebook at UND, with my comments:
1  Harry Potter
--I really do enjoy these books.  They remain entertaining even as an adult (although I was in high school when the first one came out).  I'm interested in how the magic actually works however; if you want an interesting explanation of the mechanisms behind magic and sorcery, you might try David Eddings' "The Belgariad" and "The Mallorean" series (but NOT "The Redemption of Althalus").
2  Angels And Demons
--People tend to look down upon Dan Brown for his style, and believe him when he claims that everything in the books are true.  If you believe or not, his books are great for being entertaining if you can suspend disbelief, especially about the particle physics in "Angels and Demons."
3  The Bible
--Unfortunately I have to admit I haven't finished reading this yet.  I started the Old Testament a couple times when I was younger, but it never caught my interest (even though this is the part of the book I am more inclined to believe).  I should try again, with the New Testament and see where it leads me.  My question for you, UND, is how often you read the whole Bible?
4  The Da Vinci Code
--You can see my general comments above for Dan Brown.  This is as entertaining as "Angels and Demons," but sometimes the repetitiveness of Robert Langdon's ever-rightness gets a little over the top.  There's only so much you can know about a given subject.  Does anyone know of any historians who actually use the same sort of information?
5  To Kill A Mockingbird
--A wonderful classic.  It's disappointing that Harper Lee only wrote the one book and quit forever, because I love her writing style.
6  Tuesdays With Morrie
--I've never read this.  I'm assuming that this makes the list because people had to read it for class and are stricing to appear that they read at all  :).
7  1984
--Very disturbing, which is why I liked reading it.  I have to read it again, but I need to forget everything I know about it first.
8  Lord Of The Rings
--I just like the story and the world Tolkien created, without getting into any (what must be very loose, because I don't see it) Christian symbolism.  The movie unfortunately made the hobbits rather childlike instead of grown-up.

Why are there only 8 listed on Facebook?  Do people at this school only like 8 books?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 09:53:30 AM by mburtonk »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything