Author Topic: Professors getting a pay raise . . .  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Professors getting a pay raise . . .
« on: October 04, 2007, 02:57:08 PM »
For doing a good job!  Anybody have any of these profs for classes?

NDSU’s top professors recognized
Amy Dalrymple
The Forum - 10/04/2007

North Dakota State University will honor seven top professors with a $20,000 pay bump and a prestigious title.

President Joseph Chapman will announce today a new “University Distinguished Professors” initiative that recognizes the achievements of high-quality faculty.

The professors receiving the honor will get $20,000 added to their salaries each year and receive $5,000 annually to use how they want for teaching or research.

Chapman will highlight the program and the faculty members in his annual state of the university address.

The distinguished professors are: Allan Ashworth, geosciences; Bill Perrizo, computer science; Mukund Sibi, chemistry and molecular biology; Neil Gudmestad, plant pathology; Bill Wilson, agribusiness and applied economics; Kalpana Katti, civil engineering; and Tom Isern, history and religion.

The faculty will be charged with identifying up to two additional distinguished professors each year. Candidates must be full professors and have at least 10 years of service at NDSU.

Katti, who learned she was among the award recipients earlier this week, said it’s an honor for both her and her students who have contributed to her research.

“To me it signifies exemplary scholarship, exemplary integrity and character, and I can only hope to live up to that,” Katti said.

NDSU student body president Josh Reimnitz said rewarding faculty members’ good work enhances the education students receive.

“I think it’s extremely beneficial in keeping quality faculty here,” Reimnitz said.

Chapman will also give an update on the NDSU Development Foundation’s $75 million capital campaign in his address.

More than $100 million has been raised for the Momentum campaign, a third higher than the original goal. The exact amount of the campaign will be announced tonight.

Twenty-seven donors contributed $1 million or more to the campaign.

The campaign includes:

- $41 million for student scholarships.

- $12 million for teaching enhancements, such as salary stipends, matching funds for grants, travel and equipment.

- Funding for two downtown buildings, Klai Hall, the architecture and landscape architecture facility, and Richard H. Barry Hall, which will house the College of Business and the Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.

Reimnitz said dedicating roughly 40 percent of the campaign to student scholarships is incredible.

“When you’re giving that much of it back to the students, it really shows where (university officials’) priorities lie,” Reimnitz said.

Chapman will also outline how NDSU plans to move in a more global direction.

The new Richard H. Barry Hall will be the home for a new Center for Global Initiatives and Leadership. Its mission will include preparing participants for global leadership.

The North Dakota Trade Office will move to Barry Hall, to co-locate with the College of Business.

The partnership will allow North Dakota businesses to have access to faculty expertise and give students opportunities for involvement in international trade.

By the numbers

The seven NDSU distinguished professors collectively have:

- 175 years of service

- Mentored 94 master’s and 71 doctoral students

- Published 734 refereed manuscripts, 11 books, 346 book chapters and 687 other publications

- Given 1,285 presentations

- Generated $55.2 million in grants

Readers can reach Forum reporter Amy Dalrymple at (701) 241-5590

JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Professors getting a pay raise . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 12:35:11 AM »
One of the professors is an adviser for one of the organizations I am in, and another I have worked with on projects....They are great at what they do.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything