Author Topic: Facebook = Stalkerbook  (Read 5653 times)

Offline zman

• NDSU
Facebook = Stalkerbook
« on: September 05, 2006, 07:29:19 PM »
So who else thinks that Facebook is getting too far out there.  That new feature of essentially tracking your friends is a little out there, I mean come on now.  Why do you need to know everything that your friends are doing, at the click of one button.  Its a little too much for me.

I found this interesting article about FB:
http://www.campusprogress.org/features/769/what-you-dont-know-about-facebook

Personally I think FB is dying off, o well.  Big loss.

I do have to say I like ndbison.com because it is less stalkerish and you can actually hood meaningful conversations.  ;D

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
Re: Facebook = Stalkerbook
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 10:25:45 AM »
So who else thinks that Facebook is getting too far out there.  That new feature of essentially tracking your friends is a little out there, I mean come on now.  Why do you need to know everything that your friends are doing, at the click of one button.  Its a little too much for me.

I found this interesting article about FB:
http://www.campusprogress.org/features/769/what-you-dont-know-about-facebook

Personally I think FB is dying off, o well.  Big loss.

I do have to say I like ndbison.com because it is less stalkerish and you can actually hood meaningful conversations.  ;D

I have to agree with you on that one, Face Book is getting pretty sick.

I cant believe some of the stuff in that article  :o

Like you said though, at least we have this site, now all we need is more people posting.
N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

Offline HDnE gal

• NDSU
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 07:50:08 PM »
I HATE the new feeds.  I don't care whether my friend from high school that I haven't talked to in years added a group to their profile.  And I don't like that I can hardly breathe without everybody knowing it!

Offline ge_bjf007

• NDSU
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 08:55:50 PM »
God I love the new feed, now I can track everyone all the better :evil6: :evil6: :evil6:

No, I was just kidding.  The new facebook feed sucks.
Go Bison!

Offline amyc

• NDSU
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 02:03:38 PM »
It was nice to see the apology from Zuckerberg.  I like that I can turn off my feed now.  I have to say, it was nice to see some activism, I think we kinda lack that nowadays.

Offline ge_bjf007

• NDSU
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 08:46:25 PM »
It was nice to see the apology from Zuckerberg.  I like that I can turn off my feed now.  I have to say, it was nice to see some activism, I think we kinda lack that nowadays.

What is with the lack of student activism, is this generation just too lazy?
Go Bison!

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 10:28:18 PM »
Well I'm glad something was done about it.  Don't worry, you will never have to worry about anything like that with ndbison.com
CampusDakota.com

Offline taco87

• NDSU
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 04:36:02 PM »
I have to say, I like to be able to turn off the feed so that other people aren't watching my every move, but I wish I could set it so that I didn't have to see other people's either.

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 07:25:40 PM »
I heard they are going to open it to everyone  :o

Offline bisonguy

• NDSU
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 10:23:57 AM »
I heard they are going to open it to everyone  :o

Yep, next week it is suppose to go public.  Just another my space IMO  :-\

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
Facebook to expand
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 09:35:24 PM »
By Rick Aristotle Munarriz Thu Sep 14, 3:20 PM ET

As one of the more popular social networking nouns to be transformed into a verb, Facebook has come a long way in only a couple of years. The site is a popular college hangout, a bit like MySpace for the undergraduate community. Yes, that's right. There's a social networking site out there where folks can properly contract "you are" as "you're" and type in complete sentences.

Campus kids register with their confirmed .edu email addresses and go on to share their thoughts, wisdom, and keg-stand snapshots with students form the same university.

That may very well change now that Facebook is ready to open up the site beyond the halls of higher learning. Don't worry, my little Buckeye. The walled campus communities will continue to keep rival schools and deviant predators out of your face. According to Forbes, the move to open up the site is tied to offering up 500 regional networks where users can congregate with fellow locals.

Published reports are already circulating of the natives getting restless over the move. It's just Facebook's misfortune to be timing the bigger net toss after incorporating a news feed feature that backfired on the young company. By tracking changes in friend profiles, some users were alarmed that the feature was disrespecting their privacy.

"We really messed this one up," wrote founder Mark Zuckerberg in the site's blog last week.

The competition is already chomping at the bit as Facebook looks to go mainstream.

CNET Networks (Nasdaq: CNET - News) has added a College Live section to its Webshots photo-sharing site. News Corp.'s (NYSE: NWS - News) MySpace.com is making the most of its ability to search for fellow college graduates. United Online's (Nasdaq: UNTD - News) Classmates.com was a pioneer in this field and dropped the ball, but I wouldn't be so quick to write it off while it still has time to catch up.

Facebook will have to be careful here. Ideally, this is the kind of move that would work better with a new domain name so that it appears as a stand-alone entity despite sharing Facebook's proven technology. Let's hope it doesn't flunk twice in the same semester.

CNET is a Rule Breakers newsletter service recommendation.

Longtime Fool contributor Rick Munarriz is proud to be a Hurricane, a University of Miami Hurricane. He does not own shares in any of the companies mentioned in this article. Rick is a member of the Rule Breakers analytical team, seeking out the next great growth stock early in its stage of defiance. The Motley Fool is investors writing for investors.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/fool/115826163917
N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything