Author Topic: Anyone else sick of Apple?  (Read 6135 times)

Offline zman

• NDSU
Anyone else sick of Apple?
« on: January 28, 2010, 01:25:10 PM »
Is anyone else sick of hearing about Apple?  I know I sure am.  Who cares if they are releasing this new thing or they released the 100,000th app... it doesnt matter, most apps are crap.  Why is it every time Apple sneezes a bunch of people get in a tissy.

Oh yeah and there are people that buy Apple products for no apparent reason or because they see some flashy commercial.  But I guess that is just good advertising.

And remember, Apple computers are PCs, PC means personal computer, PC includes Linux.  So stop differentiating them with that term.  And yes Apple computers do have problems with security and viruses.  They don't necessarily do video editing etc better, it all depends on the hardware and software.

END RANT. 

Anyway, please feel free to discuss the merits of buying Apple products and why people fall into the Apple, dare I say "cult"

:mob:

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Anyone else sick of Apple?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 12:27:17 AM »
It does get a bit annoying sometimes, especially when they release a new product.

You will probably appreciate this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVwbhsqEyNI[/youtube]
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 10:41:41 AM »
I think the iPad was a couple mistakes rolled into one, so yes, I suppose I'm sick of Apple right now. 

Funny video; I could say just about the same things about using Windows sometimes.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »
Yea, the iPad could have had a lot of improvements, but what exactly where they trying to build?  An ebook reader, a big ipod, a quasi-computer??

True, the video could apply to either, but not linux :P
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 10:08:20 AM »
Yes.  With linux he wouldn't even have been able to install minesweeper with which to waste his day.

I know that Linux, to most Linux users, "isn't that hard."  But people want easy; they want to be able to download malicious code and run it, they want to be able to have their computer figure things out for them.  Linux isn't to that point yet.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 09:33:37 PM »
Maybe not minesweeper, but a free clone ;)

That is true, linux isnt to that point to an extent.  Linux is pretty usable out of the box if you get the right distro like Ubuntu... at least I think so (maybe I will have to have a few non-techie people test it out).  I actually think it is easier then windows for many things.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 09:21:19 PM »
I know that Linux, to most Linux users, "isn't that hard."  But people want easy; they want to be able to download malicious code and run it, they want to be able to have their computer figure things out for them.  Linux isn't to that point yet.

My grandma used Ubuntu with no issues at all. E-mail and web browsing. Writing letters and playing solitare/freecell.

its the windows mentality that most people have to overcome. They have a certain way they want to work on the computer and don't want to re-learn it. For a computer person its not that big of a deal for me to re-learn something. for the average person who just uses facebook and e-mail and youtube, it's a hindrance to re-learn the way to operate.

Why would you want to run malicious code?? I suppose if you wanted to I could write a little script for you that ran "rm /*" if you really felt like it to make linux feel like windows... although you would have to log into SU to run it....

I still do not feel the need for my computer to figure things out for me... that's just plain creepy and not knowing what your computer is doing is a danger in and of itself.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 12:02:05 PM »
This is a bit off topic, but does anyone know a good way to "emulate" windows inside of Ubuntu?  There are a few programs in windows I would like to use and dont feel like rebooting.  I would assume there are better options over WINE.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 06:47:17 PM »
what is wine not able to run?? There's Cedega?? for games I tried once.

Otherwise I just Virtualbox it up and throw a windows XP/2000 session up inside ubuntu... its not like you can't find a CD/Key sitting around on someones old busted laptop/Computer tower.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 06:52:25 PM »
Wine has quite a few issues on my computer.  I would just rather have the entire windows environment when I need it rather than go with the wine setup.  Ill try xp in virtual box.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:03:12 AM by Guardrail »
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 06:58:11 PM »
 :lol: Love it
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 06:58:55 PM by pmp6nl »
CampusDakota.com

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 02:11:50 AM »
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic