Author Topic: ND residents hold more than one job  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
ND residents hold more than one job
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »
I just don't understand some people.  This article was about North Dakotans holding more than one job in order to survive, and it focussed in part on one woman who is attending UND to get her (second) bachelor's degree while working three jobs and planning a wedding at the same time.

WHY?  You aren't trying to get more education, you're staying in school and HOPING that you'll get a better job when you come out, and meanwhile you're making your life miserable by trying to pay your way.  Is there something in the midwestern psyche that is against taking out loans for education?  If you think the degree you're working on is worth it, you should have confidence that you can pay off a couple hundred dollars a month once you get a job after graduation.

That being said, there are very few jobs in North Dakota for people who have a college degree.  If you want to make a living, move out.  I know you want to be close to home, and I know it's scary going to a new place, but sometimes it happens.

Sara Jenson is trying to finalize plans for her August wedding, but it’s hard to find time for that when she works three part-time jobs and goes to UND full time.

“With school and everything, I’m usually going from when I get up which is like 7 or 8 in the morning until midnight,” she said. “I’ve been having problems sleeping, and I don’t really have a social life now.”

Jenson isn’t the only one with a frantic schedule to keep up with the bills. In 2008, the most recent data available, 9.7 percent of employed North Dakota residents had more than one job — the highest rate in the country.
Jenson did everything young adults think will be enough to land a high-paying career — she went to college out of high school, earning a criminology degree from the University of Minnesota-Duluth in 2008.

“I thought I’m going to go to college, I’m going to get a good job right when I get out and I’m going to be set,” she said. “And that’s definitely not the case. Nowadays, just a bachelor’s degree isn’t going to get you very far.”

After searching for about six months, Jenson was able to get a part-time job with Lutheran Social Services of North Dakota in Grand Forks. She started in the Attendant Care program, which provides a short-term alternative to jail or detention for juveniles facing criminal charges.

It’s an on-call position that has varying hours each week, but she said she liked it and wanted to get more hours, so she snatched up two other part-time jobs with Lutheran Social Services. Between all three, she averages 30 to 45 hours a week — but because they’re in different programs, it’s considered part time and she doesn’t get benefits.

Jenson, 23, has lived without health insurance for more than a year, an added stress on top of an already stressful schedule. “I’m pretty healthy, but everyone has to go to the doctor every once in a while unfortunately,” she said.

She started as a full-time UND student this month and said she should earn a bachelor’s degree in social work in about a year. Jenson’s part-time jobs have helped her get experience and pick a new career path that could give her a more normal schedule.

“I want to start a family one day, and mine’s going to be put on hold for a little bit because of what’s going on,” she said.

Jenson is going ahead with her August wedding, even though it means she has to spend her weekends doing homework and finalizing wedding plans, which would be impossible without her mom’s assistance. “I do have some help, which is very nice because I don’t think I could get it all done on my own,” she said.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: ND residents hold more than one job
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:24:06 PM »
I think the wrong choice was another bachelors degree, if anything she should have went for a masters degree, like the Master of Social Work at UND.  The two bachelors degrees (with a brief look at the curriculum) are relatively similar in that they both have a focus around social sciences.  The masters would have been a much better choice as it is a more advanced degree, not basically a similar degree.  At least it sounds like she will be able to transfer classes and graduate in a year.

While its understandable that you may not want to take out loans, sometimes you just have to do it.  Working 3 part-time jobs and going to school is way too much. Think of education as the best investment that you can make.  I think it is the mentality of a lot of people in the upper midwest... to not want to take out a lot of loans or have any debt for that matter.

Another problem is finding a job for those people that dont want to move.  The fact is, is that often to find a good job you want, you might have to move.  Thats why im keeping all my options open.  Sometimes you have to move away from family and friends to find that job.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »
Just saw this so I thought i'd chime in.

There are people like me that have a car loan, rent and car insurance/renters insurance/health insurance I pay. Those don't just pay themselves. Nor do I want to take a loan out to pay off my other loan... that seems kind of counter intuitive.

I would much rather work and pay for it now than put myself in debt. I've worked to hard to have my credit history go to hell because I can't find a job to pay for my student loans when i get out of college, then have late payments on them.

The other thing with myself is I'm going back to school. I'm not eligible for financial aid. I had to pay for my two classes out of pocket, and hopefully next semester they will grant me financial aid. Granted it is my fault from 5 years ago and not trying hard enough, but there are reason's to not take out loans.

If you grow up on a farm/small town you don't see the bank as your friend. You see the bank as something that can take your home or equipment. Thus going to the bank is not the first thing you really look at going too. (I'm not sure if any of you are from small/farm towns so forgive me if this is already known)

I work 2 jobs to pay as much as I can up front. Its the way I am and the way I was brought up. Next semester I'll most likely go full time and work both jobs (one full time, one part time). I think it is a midwest thing. I'd rather not owe anyone anything. I'd rather it be the other way around.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 02:36:38 PM »
While no loans would be the best, I think education loans are a good investment.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 05:14:29 PM »
While no loans would be the best, I think education loans are a good investment.

I still don't take out loans that I will have no way of paying back. Thats just poor planing and money management. gambling on my ability to find work in 4 years is game of chance that I don't find thrilling. I'd rather go play Texas holdem with someone that has a triple chip lead over me. I have better chances at wining that... At least I know what cards I can get.

I will admit, for the interest rate you can't really beat educational loans. I think mine is somewhere around 3-4% interest which is awesome. My car is at 6.5 and that was after some give and take.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:18:42 PM by Meest »

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 10:40:04 PM »
I think of them as an investment for something that in the end will make me a lot more money.  Its not feasible for me to work all of those hours with all of my other commitments.  Finishing the degree faster is good money management as it will allow me to get into my career, make money, and save for my retirement.  I dont see it as such a gamble, while it may be a bit of work to find a job in my field, there is a job somewhere I can get.

A loan for education is like a loan for a house.  It is a good, positive investment. At least thats what all the experts say.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic