Author Topic: Interesting - StopBeck.com  (Read 4239 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Interesting - StopBeck.com
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:24:28 AM »
Rather than trying to engage in reasonable debate with Glen Beck--which, according to some opinions, is impossible--the website StopBeck.com is taking the fight to the advertisers, by informing them of the possibility of brand-damage from association with the things he says on the air.

It's quite fun.  They've gotten over a hundred sponsors to drop their sponsorship of his programs.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: Interesting - StopBeck.com
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:17:51 AM »
People are idiots. Glenn Beck included. But the bottom line is... he's an entertainer. It doesn't matter what he says. People should focus on what the hell is going on in this country instead of worrying about setting up a website to cause some dude to lose sponsors. Especially since its really only going to help him.

Why are people so focused on trying to get the coulters, the o'reilleys, the palins, the becks to stop talking? who cares? If you don't like their message, why are you watching?

It's like when you're a kid and some jerk says something to you and you're steaming about it talking about all the stuff you're going to do... you're parents would always say something along the lines of, why don't you just ignore it? You'd say... that's stupid. And then a few years later when you're thinking back about how that all played out, you're like DAMNIT! I HATE IT WHEN THEY'RE RIGHT!

Jokes on them though... by getting sponsors to "drop" beck, they're actually giving them huge amounts of advertising. People who watch or watched beck will get the ads, and now the people who DON'T watch are going to support these companies.

This is all besides the point that I don't think anybody is seeing an ad (on TV at least) and saying "holy crap ima use that coz it was on during beck!"
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:24:48 AM by Guardrail »
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:12:51 PM »
I see where you're coming from, but there's a point where it gets to you, you know?  Take, for instance, people who repeat (in front of other people) the same excuses for denying the theory of evolution (I'm not even specifying evolution by natural selection; just the idea that life changes over time and gives rise to new types of life).  It might be fine to let these people spread their poor understanding of modern science (biology, geology, medicine, you name it), but then what happens when these people want to change what's taught in your child's school?  What happens when they want to contact their congresscritter (or become one themselves) and base their opinion on the precept that Earth is 6,000 years old, evolution can't occur, and therefore medical advances that are based on evolutionary theory are bunk and so NIH and NSF shouldn't get funding any more?

I'm using the slippery slope argument, obviously, but the idea that we have people like Don McLeroy (of the Texas Board of Education) claiming that "someone has to stand up to these experts" and choosing to believe whatever makes them the happiest rather than what is based on factual evidence making decisions that will impact a heck of a lot of people's lives just bugs me.

Now, to complete the parallelism, what happens when you have people doing the same things with historical facts?  Doesn't this warrant some sort of pause, that there are people who listen/watch to people with agenda and take what is said as the gospel truth?  Clearly, it would be bad precedent (and stupid, and counter to everything I believe) for any person to be censored (including the "entertainers" with whom I disagree), but I don't think this group is doing that to Beck in any wrongful way--as long as there are people who will watch his show, he'll be in the air, advertisers or not.

The most interesting outcome of this would be for a group of people who enjoy Beck's program (or dislike a host who is the opposite, I suppose) to start a similar campaign--either in favor of Beck ("I like Glenn Beck and I drive a Mercedes") or against someone else ("Dear Coolwhip, Jon Stewart was an ass last night on The Daily Show and you should pull your advertisements").  From a historical standpoint, the alignment of businesses with the shows with which they are associated could be quite interesting.

Jokes on them though... by getting sponsors to "drop" beck, they're actually giving them huge amounts of advertising. People who watch or watched beck will get the ads, and now the people who DON'T watch are going to support these companies.
I'm not sure what you mean here.  I think the point is to get the companies to stop running ads during Beck's shows, not to punish the companies for ever having run an ad.

This is all besides the point that I don't think anybody is seeing an ad (on TV at least) and saying "holy crap ima use that coz it was on during beck!"
I think they're worried about the brand image itself; even if the connection is subliminal it still exists.  This is what advertisers have been doing forever--selling you their product not because you like their product but because you like their advertising, or the shape of the bottle, or your perception of how all the cool kids use product X.  That being said, I'm surprised the StopBeck.com group's plan works at all--if I wanted to buy a BMW, but I learned that Glenn Beck drove one, I don't think it would stop me since I'm sure a lot of people I wouldn't like drive BMWs.

Dave, your responses always make me post long posts without making a lot of sense.  What's up with that?

JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 06:59:45 PM »
Dave, your responses always make me post long posts without making a lot of sense.  What's up with that?

I blame society really? lol...

I agree with largely all of that (shocker)... the difference between someone like those r tards at texasbooks or whatever and beck is that beck is an entertainer... I see your point about how he'll draw a following and people will blindly believe anything he says without question, but there are people that will do that in all walks of life? There are people that will do that with John Stewart, or letterman or whoever else you want to list. Going to the sponsors to get them to pull their adverts so they don't get a bad image or whatever is fighting the wrong fight imo. If they wanted to change, they should educate. Check facts, start a page that says today beck or stewart said this, well... here's the whole story.

By starting a website to get sponsors to drop beck, beck wins. His goal is to be controversial. No sponsor is signing up with that contract thinking... man, I hope glenn beck doesn't say anything crazy. They KNOW he'll say something crazy, and that will draw people to the show which draws to their ads. Having this website basically eliminates the middle man. Beck doesn't have to be stupid now... because people think he's totally stupid, so now you (or whoever) goes to the site and says oh man, these people all jumped ship on beck... I hate beck... sweet, and they'll support those sponsors.

On my 2nd point... who's worried about brand image? The people writing to the sponsors? Like they are worried that colgates image will be ruined? Or the sponsors are worried? Coz the sponsors aren't worried at all... sponsors don't ever worry. When a sponsor sticks with a show, no one will notice... when they pull from the show, everyone will say oh good, they're leaving... it ends up being a wash.

I think the biggest problem I have with it though is that people are SO CONCERNED about getting people like beck or palin to shutup, or to discredit them... people need to realize that THOSE PEOPLE are what makes this country great. The fact that they can say anything they want, and not be persecuted. This website falls into that category as well. But its just people whining... its non-stop whining. I agree that it gets to you/me/people... it does... but it doesn't make what he's saying bad, or wrong, or whatever... it makes it annoying to you/me/people... and that's no reason for some public group (likely with a political motive) to handle it this way. Deadliest catch is annoying... but because it's not political it doesn't make the news? People die on the show, and I can remember when commercial fishing was the bad guy? So why do they get a pass? Oh... because there's no money in it.

Its all just chaff.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:00:05 PM »
I had to look up who the hell this Glenn Beck guy was even... After reading 2 lines in wikipedia about him I knew all I needed to know. Talk Show host. AKA someone who likes to hear themselves talk.

Kind of hard to have a talk show host when you agree with the general populous correct?

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:05:11 PM »
Thats a pretty good point meesty

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything