Author Topic: Conservatives are oppressed on campus (but only in the west)  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
This pretty much describes my experience, coming from a small liberal arts university to UND.  The conservatives (whatever that specifically means anymore; maybe we should be more specific and save a lot of trouble) are a lot more vocal here, although I've never had anyone come to class prepared to argue (not taking classes where it's such an issue may be a cause of that). 

Are campus conservatives really an oppressed minority?

By Scott Jaschik, Inside Higher Ed
ATLANTA — The oppressed conservative student is a regular theme in the right's critique of higher education. You know the stories — mocked for displaying the American flag or a Ronald Reagan bust, shouted down for suggesting that that Iraq war is just, always in fear of earning a low grade for criticizing affirmative action or some other widely held belief among the left-leaning campus majority.

Research presented here Tuesday at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association affirmed that many conservative students feel that way, but also that many do not — and that the latter group in fact thrive on the very campuses that tend to be portrayed as hostile to them.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-08-18-IHE-campus-conservatives18_ST_N.htm

What do you think?  I know it may be obvious what my political/social leanings are, but this site is for all students, not just those who agree with the people who run it (actually, we'd welcome conservative students who wanted to contribute).  Is the "liberal bias" of the university system affecting your learning, or is it not really a big deal?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Conservatives are oppressed on campus (but only in the west)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 01:07:56 PM »
I think the conservatives are a lot more vocal at ND universities and I assume it would be the same in SD.  I wonder if in fact the liberal students are in the minority?  When I have seen debate in class the professor will often only guide it, they often may pose a point to get started, but I have never seen a professor go round and round with someone with a different political opinion, than again I am not saying it doesnt happen.

So why are there supposedly so many liberal professors and not conservative professors?  Is the result of college graduates supposedly becoming more liberal a result of a slanted education?

Interesting article: http://www.american.com/archive/2009/october/are-liberals-smarter-than-conservatives
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:18:24 PM by pmp6nl »
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything