Author Topic: So what's 'Ignite the Spirit' all about? I have ideas  (Read 4713 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
So what's 'Ignite the Spirit' all about? I have ideas
« on: October 08, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
According to the Herald, it's going to be a new fundraising campaign.  So for what are they fundraising?

I can think of a few things:
- The endowment (mentioned in the article above).  Although important, this doesn't seem like the kind of thing they would get all secretive about.
- The Sioux nickname.  Not related to fundraising, but I also don't think this is what it is, since people would probably riot.
- The new sports complex.  I think this is a prime candidate for a campaign to raise capital funds.
- The other parking garage.  I doubt this would receive so much attention, but I can imagine some funds will get siphoned off for this purpose.

What does everyone else think?  I've been absolutely horrible about keeping up with the 'social networking' 'websites' lately, so maybe someone has a definitive answer.  Whatever it is, they're probably getting their money's worth out of the advertising buzz.

In other news, a student organization could win $10,000 at the event.  See http://www.spirit.und.edu/ for details.

EDIT: Fine, I looked at that other message board.  They all have big hopes and dreams about a new sports complex.  Believe me, it would be nice (I ran track in undergrad at a fantastic facility), but I hope that whatever the next big donation is at UND, it's more rounded off toward academics.  That's why we're here, right?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:23:41 AM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: So what's 'Ignite the Spirit' all about? I have ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:17:16 PM »
Honestly the way the emails are talking about how this is some "big deal" or whatever... if it's ANY ONE of those announcements you listed, then this school is nothing more than a total joke.

To rally the students up into an assembly touting it as the biggest announcement in 22 years and have it be one of those is just sad. On what planet is a new sports complex that big of a news item?

In short, I think people are setting themselves up for some disappointment.

Maybe they'll be announcing lower rates on parking.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »
According to the last forum thread I cited, it could be a combined donation of a few hundred million dollars that the university would like matched by other alumni donations, to the tune of $300-$500 million in the end.  The consensus is that for it to be that big of a deal, whatever it is has to be more than the $100 million that Ol' Ralph gave in 2001.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 03:03:18 PM »
The info is up: http://www.spirit.und.edu/

I'll have to read through it all later, got GIS to do now.

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 01:31:31 AM »
ugh.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything