Author Topic: Finland makes broadband access a legal right  (Read 3297 times)

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Finland makes broadband access a legal right
« on: November 25, 2010, 11:38:16 PM »
Finland makes broadband access a legal right

The Finnish government has become the first in the world to make broadband internet access a legal right.

According to local reports, the Ministry of Transport and Communications in Helsinki has pushed through a law that will force telecommunications providers to offer high speed internet connections to all of the country's 5.3 million citizens.

Wow, everyone will have access to the internet at 1Mb/sec

In an announcement in September, Ms Linden committed to making 100Mb internet access - one hundred times faster than the connections mandated under the current law - available to all Finnish residents by 2015.

:happy6: That is amazing... 100 Mb/sec!  Can you even get that anywhere in the US as a non-business customer?

It looks like we keep falling further and further behind :(  We really need to put some effort into this.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Finland makes broadband access a legal right
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 09:22:09 AM »
How is 100Mb/s going to happen if it's not mandated?  Is the government going to subsidize it?

I like the idea, it's just that I think it's a lot easier for Finland to do something like this because they have a population of less than New York City.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Finland makes broadband access a legal right
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 06:05:58 PM »
Maybe it will be mandated down the road?  Not sure how its going to be paid for.  It is a lot harder to do something like this here, but significant improvements still need to be undertaken.  This is going to be more and more important as the internet keeps becoming more and more central in our every day lives.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything