Author Topic: Pope says condoms are ok for male prostitutes...  (Read 3231 times)

Offline gh

• CD Team
Pope says condoms are ok for male prostitutes...
« on: November 26, 2010, 12:02:30 AM »
Benedict said that condoms are not a moral solution to stopping AIDS. But he said in some cases, such as for male prostitutes, their use could represent a first step in assuming moral responsibility "in the intention of reducing the risk of infection."
Read the complete article at http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101120/ap_on_re_eu/eu_pope_condoms

I was reading the news when this subject caught my attention. My interpretation of the article is that the Pope is saying it's okay for male prostitutes to use condoms, because it can help decrease the spread of HIV and AIDS. However, I thought the Catholic church is all for abstinence and supposed to be against prostitution...? Also are these male prostitutes servicing men or women, because I thought the Catholic church is extremely anti-gay?

Another question I have, is what if a spouse of someone is HIV positive or has AIDS? They may not be a prostitute, so it's not okay for them to use a condom, so the other spouse doesn't contract the disease? Before we had all this technology, people received blood transfusions, or got infected by contaminated instruments/needles.....

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, but I also heard that later, the Pope stated it was also okay for female prostitutes to use condoms to prevent the spread of AIDS and HIV too. So it's okay for any prostitutes to use condoms, but not teenagers or other young adults that aren't ready to have children yet? They should also be allowed to use them, because they could contract an STD. I find these statements very hypocritical coming from the Catholic church when they are supposedly pro-abstinence. What is your opinion or interpretation on this matter?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Pope says condoms are ok for male prostitutes...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 09:25:07 AM »
The article I read had little to say about the prostitution aspect.  My understanding is that he admitted that using a condom to prevent AIDS had the potential to save lives, even at the risk of preventing a pregnancy.  Since there wouldn't be risk of pregnancy from homosexual sexual relations, it seems to me that he's targeting the entire AIDS population.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline netgeer

• UND
Re: Pope says condoms are ok for male prostitutes...
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:25:31 AM »
y wud u want a male prostitute?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything