Author Topic: WikiLeaks nearly immune to takedown, says researcher  (Read 4903 times)

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
WikiLeaks nearly immune to takedown, says researcher
« on: December 08, 2010, 10:34:58 PM »
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9200481/WikiLeaks_nearly_immune_to_takedown_says_researcher

Computerworld - Massive network attacks and other punitive actions taken against WikiLeaks over the past few days only appear to have made the site and its contents far more resilient to takedown attempts, a security researcher said.

A total of 14 different name servers across 11 different networks today provide authoritative name services for the wikileaks.ch domain, Cowie noted. "If you ask any of those 14 servers where to find wikileaks.ch, they'll point you to one of three differently routed IP blocks," in the Netherlands, Sweden and France, he added.

The geo-diversification makes it very hard to take WikiLeaks down, he said.

For the moment, the WikiLeaks content is hosted mostly on servers based in Europe. If WikiLeaks were to start hosting its content outside Europe as well, the challenge to those trying to stop the site will become even harder, Cowie said.

Now this is the kicker:

In addition to such moves, close to 1000 mirror sites serving up WikiLaks content have popped up around the globe over the last few days, he said.

"Within a couple days, the WikiLeaks web content has been spread across enough independent parts of the Internet's DNS and routing space that they are, for all intents and purposes, now immune to takedown by any single legal authority," Cowie wrote in his blog. "If pressure were applied, one imagines that the geographic diversity would simply double, and double again."

In an interview with Computerworld, Cowie added that even if WikiLeaks were taken down completely "bits and pieces of its content will probably be mirrored for ever," on the Internet, he said.

Wikilinks is everywhere.  There are litterally thousands of sites hosting their content.  It doesnt look like they are going to be shutdown anytime soon.
N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: WikiLeaks nearly immune to takedown, says researcher
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 03:34:09 PM »
Interesting.

Here is another intresting article: Europeans Criticize Fierce U.S. Response to Leaks

“What is most fascinating is that we see no cynicism in U.S. diplomacy,” he said. “They really believe in human rights in Africa and China and Russia and Asia. They really believe in democracy and human rights. People accuse the Americans of double standards all the time. But it’s not true here. If anything, the diplomats are almost naïve, and I don’t think these leaks will jeopardize the United States. Most will see the diplomats as honest, sincere and not so cynical.”
CampusDakota.com

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 03:36:15 PM »
American exceptionalism, American hypocrisy from the UK based 'The Economist' also provides an interesting prospective.

This is charming. Most Americans don't grasp the extent to which their country is considered throughout the world a bullying, opportunistic, imperialist power. Mr Girard sounds almost surprised by the "almost naïve" sincerity of American diplomats' commitment to democracy and human rights. And I think he is right that the intelligence, good humour, and benevolent intentions on display in the cables redounds to the benefit of the American foreign service's reputation.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 03:36:51 PM by pmp6nl »
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 10:32:14 AM »
This is the point of the Internet: to create a communication and backup system that is impervious to destruction.  If we ramped up the number of ham radio enthusiasts in the world and they were all "networked," we could even do without the ground-based infrastructure.

Good job, ARPA.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 01:07:34 PM »
The US's Reaction To Wikileaks Is Doing A Lot More Harm Than The Leaks Themselves

Would our reaction to that have been more subdued than our reaction now to Assange? If so, why? If not, why is our reaction so subdued when the Times receives and publishes the information from Bradley through Assange the intermediary? Finally, in 2005-2006, the Times disclosed information about important but fragile government surveillance programs. There is no way to know, but I would bet that these disclosures were more harmful to national security than the wikileaks disclosures. There was outcry over the Times' surveillance disclosures, but nothing compared to the outcry over wikileaks. Why the difference? Because of quantity? Because Assange is not a U.S. citizen? Because he has a philosophy more menacing than "freedom of the press"? Because he is not a journalist? Because he has a bad motive?

I think trying to prosecute Assange under the Espionage Act would be a mistake. The prosecution could fail for any number of reasons (no legal violation, extradition impossible, First Amendment). Trying but failing to put Assange in jail is worse than not trying at all. And succeeding will harm First Amendment press protections, make a martyr of Assange, and invite further chaotic Internet attacks. The best thing to do -- I realize that this is politically impossible -- would be to ignore Assange and fix the secrecy system so this does not happen again.

Why was Mr. Assange hidden in prison? Is this democracy?' asks Russian PM

The UN's top human rights official raised the alarm over officials' and corporations' moves to cut off WikiLeaks funding and deny it server space. Navi Pillay described such actions as "potentially violating WikiLeaks's right to freedom of expression.

There is [no protest] … for freedom of expression and against the imprisonment of this guy who was doing better work than many of the ambassadors. —Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Brazilian president

WikiLeaks has said it intends to release them in stages, and as of Thursday evening, had released about 1,200 of them. The first batch of cables was released in conjunction with several major media outlets, namely, the Guardian, the New York Times, El Pais, Der Spiegel and Le Monde.

Prior to the publication of the cables, journalists at those media organizations advised WikiLeaks on which of the cables should be released and what details and names should be withheld from the published documents.

So the documents are in fact being pre-screened?  Interesting, thats not what we have been lead to believe.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »
I thought it was interesting that the documents are being leaked over a period of months, rather than all at once.  The collaboration between journalists and WikiLeaks seems much more judicious than the screamers would have us believe about how responsible Assange and the rest of the media are.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 11:42:10 PM »
I thought it was interesting that the documents are being leaked over a period of months, rather than all at once.  The collaboration between journalists and WikiLeaks seems much more judicious than the screamers would have us believe about how responsible Assange and the rest of the media are.

He always needs some leverage and it appears he has quite a bit more:
WikiLeaks will release encrypted 'doomsday file' if site blocked.  Interesting move.

I am a bit surprised about his working with the media.. like has been described.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 04:40:11 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7-MbiixFe0[/youtube]

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything