Author Topic: Higher ed sees support in budget  (Read 3126 times)

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Higher ed sees support in budget
« on: December 10, 2010, 10:03:43 PM »
Higher ed sees support in budget
Gov. Jack Dalrymple’s budget recommendation reflects strong support for the state’s colleges and universities, higher education officials and student leaders said Wednesday.
By: Amy Dalrymple, INFORUM

Highlights

Gov. Jack Dalrymple recommends an $82 million increase in ongoing funding for higher education, as well as $46 million in one-time funding. Highlights include:

* $11.2 million for an information technology facility for the university system that will be housed at the University of North Dakota.

* About $7 million for the final phase of North Dakota State University’s research greenhouse.

* $8 million for the Rhoades Science Center addition and renovation at Valley City State.

* $8.2 million for the Old Main renovation at North Dakota State College of Science.

* $8.8 million for the Stoxen Library addition at Dickinson State.

* $10 million for equity funding. NDSU would receive $4.7 million of that pool.

* $1.2 million for a master’s of public health degree to be jointly offered by NDSU and UND.

* $5 million for a new completion-based approach to higher education funding.

* About $900,000 to provide professional mental health services at all campuses.

Read the entire article at http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/301138/

It looks like there are some good one time projects, however there is still a lot to work on, in my opinion... mainly the quality of the learning environments.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Higher ed sees support in budget
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 10:48:38 AM »
Cool stuff!

I'm glad of the support for mental health services on all campuses and the library expansion at Dickinson.  I just saw a talk on passive geothermal energy (essentially using the heat from the ground to heat things, rather than converting that heat into electrical or mechanical power) for greenhouses.  We could do a lot with that here, and even though it's the 'final' phase of NDSU's greenhouse, it would be sweet to see some of that type of energy used. http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/greenhouse

I do agree with your comment on "the quality of learning environments."  I was just talking to someone in our department who was talking to CILT, and CILT was recommending all of these "technological" changes: chairs with monitors built in, lots of LCD screens in the classrooms, shared laptops, all that jazz.  Which is great, if there is really research to back this sort of thing up, but here's the thing: we have intro classes with 300 students and one professor.  I'd rather take this "technology" money and use it to hire more faculty to reduce the faculty:student ratio to make learning a more active experience.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic