Author Topic: The 2010 Sponsorship Thread  (Read 5031 times)

Offline sanders

• UND
The 2010 Sponsorship Thread
« on: October 01, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Here is where discussions about sponsorship stuff will go down
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:12:08 PM by sanders »
Alone you are an athlete but on a bike you are a rocket

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: The 2010 Sponsorship Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 03:28:20 PM »
All people should be reminded that this is a public forum.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 04:04:15 PM »
Here is a slightly edited version of the packet - I added sponsor a rider (still up for discussion) and other things. I know we have some good pictures from last season but I can't find any of the pics. we might want to show a couple more updated pics.

Post if you have any input on changes that should be made
i cant add the file now so look later

Offline Cycleguy

• UND
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »
Hey, I just was looking at some big name companies.

Cannondale - couldn't find any info.

Specialized - Collegiate team sponsorship run thru dealerships, application deadline Aug 1st, - Sep. 30th 2010.

Shimano - Nothing

Trek - sponsorship run thru local dealerships, SBS is recognized. We could try there to get reffered on further.

Clif Bar - sponsor individual athletes, program is full as of now.

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Does somebody have the pics from last year somewhere?

Offline spleen86

• UND
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:42:19 PM »
I was just coming to put a thing up about Trek. We need to talk to SBS asap to get the ball rolling on that one.

GU- they have a form to fill out and once the sponsorship packet is done I can fill it out by pulling stuff from that.
Powerbar- they had nothing
Gatorade-nothing as well

Tomorrow I will look up some part companies maybe some company that makes trainers.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:08:09 AM »
Honestly, if you guys wanted to get sponsored by a major corp the best bets are places that can give us useful stuff such as; clif, gu, powerbar, etc.

Getting on board with trek will get us pro deals (so to speak) but SBS isn't going to go for it. And treks suck. Now. Well basically since the advent of the madone or lance leaving the USPS sponsorship.

IMO focus on getting cash from local sponsors and if people are interested in getting a big name sponsorship you need to consider what you're going to get. Getting sponsored by trek doesn't mean they're just going to give us money or bikes, it means they'll give us a discount. That discount is already "technically" in place in the form of a 15% off coupon at the SBS.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline spleen86

• UND
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 12:27:18 AM »
I was not expecting that if Trek, for example, "sponsored" us that they would just give us free bikes or any other bike manufacturer. I was more looking to see what kind of deal we could get on buying bikes from them so someone, such as myself, could buy a nice road bike at a discounted price that would be more friendly to my student budget that I have.

I agree companies such as GU or Powerbar that will actually provide us with their product would be more beneficial, but I also like trying to stick to local sponsors that represent our community and can have close ties with the team compared to company A that is based in whatever state that we never meet in person.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 01:48:52 AM »
No I got you. fwiw I can almost guarantee you that I can build you a nicer road bike than you could get (especially from trek) even with the discount.

My point was more that Trek is charging for the Lance Armstrong effect. SO you're getting a $1000 bike but paying  $2000 for it.

That all said, the reality of it is that we aren't going to get any sponsorship from a corporation such as trek without going through SBS (as they're the only racket in town). And as i said, SBS is already a sponsor to the tune of 15%.

THAT all said. Let some of us talk you out of a trek 1st.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 09:08:58 AM »
Nothing against Trek, by the way.  They still manufacture their high-end frames in the US, but Dave just wants to point out that trying to afford something on a student budget and wanting a Trek is a contradiction in terms.

I don't know how well/if it would work out, but honestly I think approaching some smaller companies might get us better coverage.  Too bad there aren't any in ND, otherwise we'd so get free bikes.

Oh, and in case you're like me and can't remember things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bicycle_manufacturing_companies

We need a list of contact people for event sponsorships so we can give away swag.
- River Cinema (tickets)
- NHRG (passes)
- Snap Fitness (passes)
- Blue Moose (drink coins)
- Hugo's (food)
- ???
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:14:35 AM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 12:44:58 PM »
I only edited the stuff that really needed updating other wise most of it is the same, but if you have an idea about something that doesn't sound good post up your idea and then you can change it, otherwise if you see any other small details that need edited you can change it then let us know what happend. Also if you find any other good pics post the link
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:47:51 PM by sanders »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 12:59:47 PM »
I would like to add in that sponsor art needs to fit into the dimensions they are buying for gold, silver, etc. but I don't know how to phrase it.

You say November 12th on one page but November 1st on another in terms of deadines.

On the first page (since this is the "what we can do for you" page) we should mention sales through SBS to alumni all over the world.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 01:03:49 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 02:19:50 PM »
yea that could be something disclosed later to them if they decide to sponsor us.
 I made a couple more edit's.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
Simply tell them that their logo can either be designed (by them) to fit the slot they buy, or our artists will make the necessary changes for the logo to fit without distortion in their slot.

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 04:31:15 PM »
download this copy of the sponsorship packet!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:37:12 AM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »
$300 is theoretically the number to beat for title, but I'm still working to figure out if they want title sponsorship or not.

Logan: they say all they need is a letter of acknowledgement from us that says we paid them (for being tax deductible).  I was told to look on the IRS Website for Charitable Organizations for example letters.  No numbers needed since the IRS knows who we are I guess.

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 10:51:34 AM »
minor change, download this packet for future

Offline Plantains

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 12:11:44 PM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/111127/the-human-billboard-family?mod=family-kids_parents

This family is wearing tshirts from whatever company. They made some type of national news. As far as I can tell, this is basically the exact same thing we're trying to do, but because we're cyclists? it doesn't work? or something?

A family of 5 is sponsored. But we have a hard time finding clientele? Ugh.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything