Author Topic: Student Legal Service  (Read 4822 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Student Legal Service
« on: September 02, 2006, 06:07:22 PM »
My question is, where is all the debate in this article?

$40,000 legal service for students charts progress
Quote from: The Dakota Student
Students will have a place to ask for legal advice free of charge.
David Griswold
Issue date: 9/1/06 Section: News

Students are often overlooked when it comes to certain legal issues. Some are lucky enough to be law students and know more than most (:read2:), but for the average student it is difficult to know certain rights and options in matters of legal crises. In response to this, Student Government has started this year where they left off last year.

Student Body President Nate Martindale and Vice President Nathaniel Hilliard have been addrsssing the technical aspects of the Student Legal Services Program, because last year they were granted $40,000 to do so.

"UND is behind with this issue when looking at other schools," Hilliard said. "The University of Minnesota has its own law firm and five represented lawyers for students to use."

The program will be used for students to seek legal advice for any type of problem they encounter throughout their years in school. The law firm that will represent UND is going to offer free legal advice for any student and if there is any additional cost, i.e. court fees, the firm will give a discount to any student that uses their services.

"A lot people think that it is going to be used for purely alcohol related cases ( :occasion14:), but there is so much more than that," former Student Body President Robert Haskins said. "There are a lot of non-traditional issues that students have to deal with these days (:violent4:). Some people may be going through a divorce or a legal issue dealing with an apartment or dormitory. The service is used to protect students and give them more legal options." :whip2:

Two law firms, Rosenquist & Arnason Attorneys at Law and Reichert Law Office, have put in bids and both look like they will be less than the $40,000 granted for the program. Once both firms are met with, Student Government will decide which firm will represent UND.

The program will hopefully be under way by next week with their final decision. The program has proven to be very useful in many other schools around the area and nation, student officials say, and UND can hope for the same once the program begins.

Discuss.

JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline talksalot83

• UND
Re: Student Legal Service
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 12:25:59 AM »
After the program is in place, I would like to know how many students will end up using it. I think it's an awesome deal for the firm that gets the bid because they post some office hours on campus and some off campus hours. They're getting a lot of money for sitting around and they can be other work for other clientele. It's a great supplement for their business.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 12:40:46 PM »
I wonder if I can use it for other things than dealing with the court system--will thay have someone on staff who worls in patents and/or copyrights?

Offline commando eli

• UND
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 02:36:31 PM »
has anyone used this service yet?
You would be surprised what matt will do for a cookie and a glass of orange juice. -rvb

Offline lynsey

• UND
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 06:36:46 PM »
Students have been referred to Rosenquist and Arnason, but have been waiting until the contract's approval to actually meet with the firm. The contract was approved at last night's Student Senate meeting. With Martindale's signature, the program goes into effect.

There's A LOT to this program. I'm really excited about it. The only limitation is that we can't use it in an action against UND -- and that includes University Police. I guess that provision came out of concern that lawyers would become unnecessarily involved with the campus judicial system -- ie. coming in on cases of students being kicked out of the residence halls. I understand where it could be problematic -- every 21 year old in the residence halls that gets busted for drinking would show up with a lawyer arguing their right to consume alcohol. However, I really don't think it's prudent to cover UPD as part of the university in this. Students who get caught on campus should have the same resources as those caught off campus.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 08:11:06 PM »
So say the University Gestapo roughs me up--am I entitled to legal assistance then?

Offline Red

• UND
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 11:58:14 AM »
That?s a really good question.  A year ago I was trying to take legal action against a cretin vp here at the university but found it rather difficult to find an attorney that worked with the type of case I had that was not on the bill of UND.  It would look pretty bad for the University if you couldn?t get legal advice and support against them.
100 percent of everything is attitude

Offline talksalot83

• UND
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 12:57:58 AM »
I still don't like this program. There's not much that will change my mind about it.  :dontknow:

Offline jbaker

• UND
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 04:46:18 PM »
fantastic deal.  most other universities offer this kind of service to their students.

besides, if you wanna fight UND, can't you just go downtown to Arnason's office and deal with it there?  Sure you'd have to pay out of your own pocket instead of the school's pocket, but that ONLY makes sense.

Offline lynsey

• UND
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 12:00:19 PM »
I think the deal was that A&R can't help us fight UND at all, whether at the office or in their on campus location.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 08:26:01 PM »
That?s a really good question.  A year ago I was trying to take legal action against a cretin vp here at the university but found it rather difficult to find an attorney that worked with the type of case I had that was not on the bill of UND.  It would look pretty bad for the University if you couldn?t get legal advice and support against them.

Do all the lawyers in town work for UND in some capacity or another?  What happened?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything