Author Topic: Lets talk CPUs  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Lets talk CPUs
« on: February 16, 2010, 08:09:22 PM »
I've always been an AMD kind of guy but thats generally because AMD had better technology for gaming. I currently have an older AMD 5600+ which is a really really nice dual core with an nVidia 8800 running at 648mhz along with 4gigs of ram. I'm in a 32 bit OS (windows 7) and thats basically because the 64bit stuff STILL creates more issues than it solves for me.

My question is really...

I'm gonna be upgrading my processor to either an intel i7 920 or something fancy that AMD is gonna drop on us in the very near future... they're talking about 6 cores for Q2 2010. I'll also be upping my gpu to a DDR5 unit, but I'll probably wait just a few months until nVidia releases their "official" ddr5 (G100) platform.

Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on any of it? Gotta be other nerds on here?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Lets talk CPUs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 01:59:05 PM »
What games are you playing that you need specs like that?

CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:14:15 PM »
lol... FSX (flight sim 10)

Microsoft designed it during a time when they hadn't anticipated that multi-core processors were the future. With my system (dual core) I simply rewrote a section of code in the .cfg file for the sim that tricks it into using the second core of my processor. With that however... I'm only able to run the detail sliders up to maybe... 65% of what they could be if I want to sacrifice any sort of frame rates. Flying around during cruise flight, I can easily grab frames in the 40's which is great for flying, but when you get into the approach phase and enter the "airport environment" or big cities... I can see my CPU and memory usage go up to 100%, while my frames drop into the low tens or high single digits.

For someone like me that flies real planes, this is pretty unacceptable since I use the sim to augment my training. It doesn't need to be super smooth, but it does need to be "flyable" So I dumb down the scenery etc. but with this, you lose some critical aspects of an environment that you'd rather like to have.

To give you an idea of how insanely demanding (or poorly coded) FSX is, with the system I have, I can play games like GTA, COD4, Oblivion, R6 Vegas, with all sliders maxed and the game doesn't cough or stutter for a second.

To add... I've been eying the i7 860 over the 920 now just because it runs a slightly higher clock and is a little cheaper. I don't think I have a necessity to run a multi GPU setup which is what the 920 is designed for and as such may save myself some loot going with the cheaper 860 as well as the cheaper mobo's for them.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 09:08:04 PM »
Been an AMD fan just because of the price point. Running a Dual core Phenom II black editon 3.1ghz. I really like it. 4 gigs of ram with win7 32bit for the same reason as you (64 bit causes more issues than it solved for me. :( )

I would like to upgrade to the quad core CPU now that they have higher clock speed ones out there. running an 8800GT OC also. Quite nice.

Haven't kept up for a while on the processors. doing some reading now also. but the i7 does look like a great chip... almost makes me want to make an intel setup if i had the cash.

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 09:50:39 PM »
Yeah I ended up nabbing an intel i7 860. I was contemplating the 920, but decided that there was no need to "future proof" a system with a bloomfield processor as opposed to the lynnfield series. Both the 860 and 920 seem to be overclock BEASTS both easily topping out at over 4.0ghz and thus the price jump of the higher end versions just wasn't justifiable.

Also... I have no need to run multiple GPUs which is the primary benefit of the bloomfield's capabilities. Running tri channel DDR3 tho would be sweet... but again... the 64 bit OS's still suck and it makes me mad.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 10:22:40 PM »
Wow that must be pretty intense!  Do you think its poorly coded or just that demanding?  The only MS flight sim I have played was probably at least 10 years ago.

Hows the new CPU treating you?
CampusDakota.com

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 11:04:53 PM »
How does the MS Flight Sim compare to X-Plane?
CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 11:22:42 PM »
It arrives on Thursday!

Umm... FSX isn't necessarily poorly coded, but the timing of the release was horrid. Microsoft's "ACES" team which handles it deigned the game for single core processors because somehow MICROSOFT was unable to predict in 2006 that multi-core CPU's were going to be the future of computing. This is largely baffling though since the game uses so little video resources with so much available? If I run my gpu in SLi mode, my framerates go down because the game gets confused and uses more processing power to try and figure out how to allocate the scenery and such... it's weird.

On my current system I run at good frames (25-80 fps) depending on where I am and in major cities or major airports it drops into the low tens or high single digits. With the new system... I anticipate being able to run it smoothly all around and that (for a real pilot) is worth its weight in gold. People are always surprised that I even play FSX actually and spend so much on my system to make it run, but in actuality... when I'm paying $5/minute for my flight time in the real world, it pays dividends to blow $600 on updating your computer to have a better understanding of your flights.

I have x-plane as well. I think x-plane is super cool and if I were going to recommend one for someone who had never really used either, I'd say x-plane for serious pilots or someone after a simulation. The game is infinitely smoother, the flight characteristics imo are more realistically modelled, and you get some unique stock aircraft. That all said, the reason x-plane runs smoother is because it doesn't load oodles of visuals initially as FSX does. In fact, it doesn't even load an entire "earth", it simply loads the area you're in and the rest is ocean until you install it and select for it to be used.

Both FSX and X-plane are approved by the FAA to use as "flight training devices" (a "Flight simulator" has to move speaking generally), but the only people I know that have ever used FSX for flight training was the US Navy, and I don't know to what degree. X-plane is what we use in our FTD's, albeit an older version.

If you really want to get into the nerd of it, FSX tries to simulate what the performance charts for the aircraft say will happen for given conditions, whereas in X-plane they attempt to simulate the earth (and mars (COOL!)). By that I mean, x-plane actually "builds" an environment with "real" fluidlike air and then says this propelled is what is moving that air, and this wing is what's flying through this air, and then it tries to replicate how that would happen. This is why, bar none, x-plane is a better sim. Because they thought like God (or whoever) whereas Microsoft thought like Microsoft.

Anyways... I'll update once I get things sorted (prolly this weekend). It should be 2x the horsepower at stock speeds since I'm adding 2 cores and they're both (my old and new) roughly in the 2.8ghz range.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 07:00:23 PM »
Cool, thanks for the review.  So do either of these have a "dumb" mode for those of us that would just like to fly around for fun but dont know anything about flying.  I installed the demo of both and I didnt see anything like this on initial glance...  and boy if you dont know anything about planes it can sure be a bit overwhelming.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
hahaha... neither of them have a dummy mode that I know of... but really flying isn't super hard. If you goto your settings (in FSX) and turn the flight model to "easy" or something like that and it should disable crashes (which you may want to leave on) but it will disable aircraft stress causing damage, turn on auto rudder etc. etc.

Select yourself the cessna 172 and then I recommend loading an airport like edwards afb (KEDW) because there isn't much scenery and the runway is designed for the space shuttle so its super huge! Put in 10 degrees of flaps (if you followed the checklist it'd tell you that) and mash the throttle forward. At about 50 kts, rotate smoothly and adjust your pitch to maintain 74 ish. Raise those flaps back up to zero once you get through 60 kts. then make a 90 degree left turn. fly about 1/4 - 1/2 mile from the runway and make another 90 degree left. You should be flying parallel to but in the opposite direction of the runway you took off from by now. Once you're about 1000 ft above the fields elevation, you can level off. (You'll need to adjust your trim to change airspeeds without climbing or descending, I suggest making a key for this) So trim forward (nose down) a few turns and accelerate to 90 kts. If you took off on runway 24 your heading on the downwind (the part where you're flying back towards the end of the runway you took off from) you're heading should be 060 or whatever the 180 degree reciprocal of the takeoff heading is.

By now you should be roughly mid field in relation to the length of the runway. Continue along at 90 kts and adjust power to maintain this (maybe like... 2000 - 2200rpm). As you are parallel to the end of the runway (threshold) (hopefully this is still on your left :-)  ) you need to begin a slow descent. Instead of pitching, simply pull the power out to about 1500ish RPMs and add that 1st notch of flaps again. When the end of the runway is roughly 45 degrees behind you (so at your 7 oclock ish) you can make another 90 degree left turn and add the second notch of flaps. You may need to retrim slightly for flaps. You should be maintaining roughly 80 knots on this (base leg) leg of the pattern. You should see the runway off your 10 or 11 oclock. Once its almost to the 9 oclock, make the last 90 degree turn towards the runway (Final) If it all worked you should be roughly lined up with the runway. You'll maybe see some lights to the left of the runway (4 of them and they'll change from red to white depending on how high or low you are. 2 red and 2 white means you're perfect, 3 red 1 white, a little low, 4 red too low, 3 white 1 red, a little high etc. etc.) (Its called a PAPI or VASI btw (Precision approach path indicator)).

Now that you're lined up with that runway and retrimmed a little bit, you should add that final notch of flaps (so flaps full down) and continue that descent. You should trim for about 70 knots. You should be aiming to land right next to that PAPI (there should be some white boxes on the runway there) frankly tho... on the runway and you'll be in good shape. As you cross the threshold of the runway you want your speed to be about 61kts, so make some small corrections in pitch/power to shoot for this. As you get closer to the ground, you need to "roundout" pull the nose up as tho you were going to fly along the runway (about 5-10 feet or so above it) and then you'll see the plane start to settle towards the ground as your airspeed bleeds off. Bring the power to idle (if you haven't yet) and maintain a slight nose high attitude as the aircraft settles onto the runway. This way your main wheels will touch before the nose wheel.

I realize its alot... but its pretty easy.

I also recommend trying to fly in the spot plane view because you'll be able to see the outside of the plane. You may also want to try a few of the beginner missions in the ultralight... they'll explain alot of what I just told you.

Bottom line tho... once you sort the landings out, have fun. Flight sim isn't about being real life all the time. It's about flipping a 172 all over the place and putting it back onto the runway like some girls clothes hitting the floor at a frat party.

Ask questions if you got em.

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 11:34:15 PM »
Oh man... burning this stuff in this evening whilst doing lesson plans... reports to follow

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 11:56:17 PM »
Windows 7 Scores with the old system...
AMD Athlon X2 5400+ 2.8ghz (dual core)
4 gigs Corsair (2x2) 800mhz DDR2 ram @ 5-5-5-15
ASUS M2N-E-SLi mobo
Nvidia 8800GTS 640mb
Seagate Barracuda 500mb 7200rpm in SATA 1

Scored: (All scaled 1.0 to 7.9 highest)

Processor: 5.9
Memory: 5.9
Graphics: 6.7
Gaming Graphics: 6.7
Primary Hard Disk: 5.7

New System all at stock speeds:
Intel i7 860 @ 2.8ghz (quad core)
4 gigs corsair dominator (2x2) 1600mhz DDR3 ram @ 9-9-9-24
ASrock P55 extreme mobo
and same everything else except running SATAII for the seagate now.

Scored:
Processor: 7.4
Memory: 7.5
Graphics: 6.7
Gaming Graphics: 6.7
HDD: 5.7

Pretty nasty considering stock speeds? I am currently running "turbo boost" which is enabled by default for the processor and am regularly seeing speeds in the 3.5ghz range on the turbo gadget...

I was pretty shocked about the ram... we'll see how this all handles the business tho.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 08:22:17 PM »
Thanks for the flying lesson... I will have to try it.

Nice specs!
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 10:34:26 PM »
I don't think I understand anything in this thread.

Good job.  Wish more pilots would stop by.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 12:32:14 AM »
Well there's always "Deep Impact" LOL!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything