Author Topic: Build my own or get a ready one...  (Read 13983 times)

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
Build my own or get a ready one...
« on: September 08, 2010, 01:28:15 PM »
What should I do...? Build my own cross bike or buy a ready one. I don't want to spent a bunch a money. I know building is more fun, but I'm not sure if collecting parts would be so efficient. Also if I build, should I go for disc wheels or standard V/canti type? SO confused... There is relaly nice Cany frame on e-bay (ending soon), but it has ONLY disc break mounts...WHAT YA THINKIN'?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:29:14 PM by Mario »
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Build my own or get a ready one...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 01:42:59 PM »
I think it depends on when your first 'cross race is...
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »
Building is infinitely cheaper than buying whole. Unless you want to buy something crappy and just deal with it.

Cross bike you should get cantis, disc brakes are illegal in some cross races.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 02:02:15 PM »
Building is infinitely cheaper than buying whole. Unless you want to buy something crappy and just deal with it.

Cross bike you should get cantis, disc brakes are illegal in some cross races.

I have heard that UCI legalized discs.
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 02:02:43 PM »
SO build, huh...?

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 02:04:20 PM »
What would your rec for RD? I have seen people/companies puting MTB line of equipment, like Deore or XT for RD.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 02:21:34 PM »
Also, what are the smallest chainrings I can put on a 130 BCD spider  :mystery: ? Does anybody know?

Offline Plantains

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 03:12:56 PM »
Mario... read some stuff on sheldon browns website. It explains all of this stuff in detail.

If UCI legalized discs sweet, but discs aren't going to be that much better than cantis in the sense of how much it'll cost vs benefits. You can interchange wheelsets with a canti setup between road and cross, discs... forget it.

Components you could do whatever, some long cage stuff is better, but I know guys racing sram red for cross so whatevs? If you're looking to do it cheap, why not find some old 9 speed shimano stuff (like 105) and build it with that?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Plantains

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 03:21:39 PM »
Also 38 teeth is the smallest possible on a 130BCD ringset. I figured you'd be able to figure this out with your fancy mathematical skillz yo.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:52:24 AM »
Anybody knows anything about this frame KHS CX200 Cyclocross : 250683616930 (e-bay item) ??

Offline Plantains

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »
Its a cross frame by KHS.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Someone is selling it on ebay.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »
WOW, aren't you guys holerious!  :ntsa: Any more info??

Offline Plantains

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 07:39:01 PM »
Well like what info are you looking for?

I mean, you've never raced cross so it's pretty pointless to buy a $1000 frame, and even if you wanted to buy a $1000 frame you don't know what you like so we can't say if it's a good frame or not.

Personally... if *I*were going to be purchasing a new bike to get into a discipline in which I had ZERO experience, my NUMBER ONE priority would be getting a frame that fits me well.

So, goto KHS' website and find the frame and get the geometry and figure out if that specific geometry will fit you. Example, when i had my Giant, I liked the technology, but I just couldn't get the compact geometry to fit correctly, so bye bye Giant. Same with my Xclusive MTB.

The SECOND thing I'd look at is what the heck I'm going to use it for. If I'm buying a cross bike, I'm getting something with cantis, but I've also ridden LOTS of off road so I know I like rims vs discs. For you you might want to do what I did with my 1st MTB and get a bike that has both cantis and disc (mounts) and then get a wheelset that is equally compatible.

But I mean it's stupid to ask someone else what they think of a specific frame other than whether KHS is a "good company" but it doesn't even matter because you're not trying to blow a bunch of money on cross (and I don't suggest you do). Weight isn't anything in cycling outside of road and MAYBE track. So find a frame that has the correct geometry, and that you could either trash and not GAF or upgrade and keep forever and not care that it weighs 5 lbs.

If you decide that you love cx, then you could upgrade whatever you want... the same way you did with ur Trek.

Like how my 1st roadie was a steel frame with awesome components that were DIRT cheap. I didn't care about weight, I was riding for fun.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 07:40:41 PM »
In short... a "good" frame is one that fits you well. No one (esp outside of road) will care what it says on the side. They're all there because they love it.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 08:24:55 PM »
Thanks Dave, that was helpful. I'm not necessarily looking into race machine, but rather a bike that I can use for my late fall-winter-early spring training outside, and also for maybe one or two races. For example, all the group rides right now over here are on the gravel roads. I went this Tuesday to do one, and I was struggling to stay with those guys (I was on my Fuji MTB).2h20min of hard riding. I was spent at the end. And no, you couldn't go on those roads on your road bike, they were pretty rough. So that is what I'm looking for.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 09:24:11 PM »
So yeah... who even cares about disc brakes and shit.

Find yourself a budget cross frame with cantis. Then you can use a road wheelset AND if you wanted you can build a cross wheelset. Get it to fit properly of course or you'll be working all the wrong muscles. If you really wanted to, you could use your MTB cassette and crank (those are easy enough to swap over) and then just get some canti brakes and cross tires. If you find something with the same seat tube diameter you could even swap your saddle and post over.

If you run ur MTB cassette or a "cross" cassette (I'd maybe get something that you could use for mountain riding on ur roadie AND cross racing (dual purpose) but make sure you have a long cage rear derailleur (or make sure your cluster is within the limits of the short cage stuff).

Frame: Make sure it fits, find something with the same seat post diameter.
Cranks: Use ur MTB
BB: Make sure its spaced for a triple (or a double if you go that route)
Shifters: Find some old ass brifters (even 8 speed)
FD: If you run a triple make sure you have a "triple" FD (its that weirdo bigger looking one (look at the diff between ur MTB and ur roadie))
RD: Make sure you get a long cage if you have big gears
Cassette: You could easily swap ur MTB back and forth.
Seat/Post: You can easily swap back and forth on ur MTB.
Wheelset: With cantis you can use ur roadies. If you go building, get some HED belgiums or some CXP22s or some Open pros.

Boom. Cross biek.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 09:24:27 PM »
Also grow a beard.
And don't just get a bike for training outside. Why the heck don't you just stop being a bitch and race some cross.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:25:06 PM by Plantains »

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 08:59:52 AM »
Also grow a beard.
And don't just get a bike for training outside. Why the heck don't you just stop being a bitch and race some cross.

Maybe I will, if I get the bike put together on time :P

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 09:30:58 PM »
So which one would you go for: e-bay item 110585038705 (he says he would do buy it now for $300 shipped), or this one: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/frame/2009-ridley-crossbow-3301.html

Offline Plantains

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 11:12:45 PM »
A $400 ridley xbow or a $2-300 Optimo set?

Did you get hit in the head? Why is this even a question? Broseph says the TT is dented on the cdale but it might just be the tubing graduation. Otherwise someone donked it with bar spins. Either way who cares.

Neither of these bikes is what I would call a "training bike" or a "comfortable" bike per se. But the cx bikes will have bigger tires on them so you'll get some comfort that way.

I like though how you wanted something cheap to train on and ur posting competitive cyclist's weblinks... thats funny... lol.

This is also the worst possible time to be buying a cross set, you should wait like 2 more months. You could also get the stupid phantom cross uno from bikes direct.

I'd roll a cdale and throw some rival or some other slacker group on there.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 11:13:08 PM »
also stop posting item numbers... just post the links... its way more gooder.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 11:13:54 PM »
Or find a redline conquest.

Or goto a cx race and see if anyone is selling something.

Or goto bike club meeting and see if anyone is selling some awesomeness.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 11:37:41 PM »
I lost bidding on a Redline. thanks for a comment, or comments, or ... :P

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 10:30:48 AM »
Got that Cany frame.

What is your position on using tubular wheels/tires for cyclocross bike? I have thiose CAen Creeks that I could glule with some tubulars, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea. Dave, arrrr you the only one checking this post? Yost, where the heck are you? Others??

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 10:53:50 AM »
If they make tubulars for cx, someone must ride them.  All my arguments are based on cost, so I'm probably not one to comment.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 01:15:47 PM »
I don't know why everyone is against tubulars. I don't care who you are or what you ride you can NOT say that clinchers are better for almost any situation. The ONLY reason that someone shouldn't be using tubulars is because of the costs associated with them. HOWEVER the only way that cost becomes a real issue is if you don't know what you're doing.

Tubular: Vittoria Corsa Evo (which is a NICE tire) $55/~240 Grams
Clincher: Michelin Pro3's (also nice tire) $45/~200 Grams + $6 tube ~100 Grams (total ~300 Grams)
Im counting glue and rim tape as a wash both in cost and weight though I suspect glue has a slight advantage.

Now you're saying well ok... what about when I flat? Thats where the cost difference is huge! Still though lets look.

If you flat a clincher, you can patch about 5 of them for about $5 or you could just buy more tubes at $6 each.
If you flat a tubular, you need to buy a whole new tire at a cost of $55!

NOT SO! First, a tubular can be patched JUST AS EASILY as a clincher tube. It IS a tube after all. If you're apprehensive, many shops will do it, AND there are a couple people on the web that actually fully repair tubulars for you for about $15!

So while the costs are certainly greater, they generally are NOT the ridiculously high costs people seem to think they are, and remember, you spend x amount of money on getting super light chains, and lightweight little things that also wear out. Yet we do it because of the benefits of the lighter weight or the nicer ride or the bling or whatever...

---------------------------------------

Now Mario... using tubulars off road. Again, a good question albeit a bit naive. Tubulars are great for cross because you can run really low pressures and not get a pinch flat. Cross tubulars are starting to get a little "harder to come across" but they are pretty cheap. But I'm not "against" tubulars for cx, even if you flat out you won't be very far from the start/finish/civilization.

Really though I'm in the middle of something, so I probably have more to say but my train of thought is all over the place.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 01:45:38 PM by Plantains »

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »
Good points Dave, good points. I might end up ripping my road tires off of my Canes and glu some cross rubber on them. I've been seeing that Vitoria on Bonktown for about $45 I think.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 03:18:09 PM »
Not particularly arguing with you, but thanks for the rundown.

So while the costs are certainly greater, they generally are NOT the ridiculously high costs people seem to think they are, and remember, you spend x amount of money on getting super light chains, and lightweight little things that also wear out. Yet we do it because of the benefits of the lighter weight or the nicer ride or the bling or whatever...
Mostly it's this.  I tend not to care about weight, so personally I (at present) don't feel the need to buy new wheels and tires and learn how to glue things.  Although the skills in the future might come in useful.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 04:33:37 PM »
I can respect that beek but in all actuality, it isn't very hard at all. My biggest argument in general is that the cycling community has generated some form of stigma against tubs just because they are less common at the lower levels of cycling. Its either too expensive or too difficult to glue, etc.

In reality, gluing up a tubular does take a little more time, but a flat can be changed much quicker generally (if you're carrying an extra tubular with you). The other GREAT benefit is that IF you flat you can keep control of the bike much easier because the tire is glued to the rim and won't come off.

@ Mario... no need to wait for bonktown, those prices I quoted you can be had right this second.

www.wroldclasscycles.com

The website is a little wonky at first, but the service is second to none. I've ordered all of my tubulars from there as well as some VERY hard to find parts (namely my cork brake pads). Otherwise, goto probikekit.com

back @ beek: to ADD to the cost benefits, since tubulars "age" like wines, you could realistically buy them in bulk and save even more money. and as for the benefits of weight... I do NOT consider that the best benefit of the tubular. I think the best benefit HANDS DOWN is the ride quality. It of course matters what type of tubular you get, but my 320tpi vittorias were VERY nice for a machine made cotton tubular. It made such a huge difference on my cdale with my SLR on it that when I ride distance on that slr on clinchers vs tubulars I can ride noticeably further with less discomfort. But certainly weight, rolling resistance, comfort, convenience are all various benefits. I'm not so much arguing against clinchers because I use them too, but I just want to make the point that while there may be reasons to dislike tubulars, there are no more reasons to dislike them than there are to dislike clinchers. People shouldn't be so quick to brush off what nearly every pro rider swears by.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
OK, another Q. Does anybody know what chain length is ususlly used on cross bikes? The question might sound stupid, but it's not. I know it depends on the chainstay length, and crank bigest chainring along with the size of the biggest sprocket on the back. Standard chains come in 112 or 114 links, and for most 54-56 size road rigs, with 53T chain ring and 25-27 biggest sprocket the chian has to be cut short. I cannot remember though, how many links are removed. I'm asking all this, becasue there are new, cheep Shimano 105 chains for under $20 that are pre-cut to 106 links. With me having 54 size rig and most likelly 46 T chain ring and 27 sprocket I'm wondering if 106 links is enough...Anybody has any idea?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2010, 10:12:46 AM »
Is this all stuff that Mario used to ask in person so I never heard?  Or is it his new immersion among engineers all day long?

Here is my googling: http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-449465.html

Offline Plantains

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2010, 11:25:04 AM »
No this is about par for the course...

Mario, chain length has to be measured on the bike. AGAIN, goto Sheldon Browns website and read some stuff. You can buy the 105 chain and just add links if need be.

You can actually use some of your fancy math to figure out the chain length necessary. 46/2 = 32 + largest sprocket on cassette/2 + distance from the place the chain leaves the front chain ring to where it enters the rear cog + the distance from the RD to where it meets the front chain ring + 10.

Since chains are 1/2" pitch. You could also just run a string through your system and then cut it to length, take it out and measure it.

Also... if you REALLY want to build this bike the right way (and you do), you should go onto sheldons site and use the gear calculator to figure out what you should be running. Since a 46/39 is common up front you might put a 12-32 in the back. Since that requires that you run a long cage RD, you might be able to just run a 44/39 and an 11-27 in the back and have the same gearing spreads. It might even save you from buying a new cassette. Then again you could just man up and run it SS.

Aren't you an engineer?

Offline Plantains

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2010, 11:26:54 AM »
PS if the chain ends up short (which I doubt it would) you can just go to the local shop and ask if they have any spare links lying around since you'd only need like 3.

Don't mention you're a triathlete or they'll charge you for the links.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2010, 11:46:24 AM »
PS if the chain ends up short (which I doubt it would) you can just go to the local shop and ask if they have any spare links lying around since you'd only need like 3.

Don't mention you're a triathlete or they'll charge you for the links.

LOL!

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2010, 11:52:58 AM »
Is this all stuff that Mario used to ask in person so I never heard?  Or is it his new immersion among engineers all day long?

Here is my googling: http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-449465.html

He,he, mystery...  :mystery:  Thanks guys.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2010, 11:54:25 AM »
Also... I'd be more worried about how sweet your beard is than whether or not your chain is long enough. Lets get those priorities straight.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010, 12:03:11 PM »
 :icon_bigsmurf: roger that!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 09:28:41 AM »

Offline Plantains

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 12:06:16 PM »
That thing is awesome.

Burning man... don't even get me started.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 09:41:38 PM »
THAT IS AWESOME!

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »
Quick update: I used my Cane Creeks wheels and put tubular cross Tuffo tires on it. The build is officiaily done.

Offline Toaster

• UND
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2010, 10:54:50 AM »
Let's see some pics Mario.

I'm sure you figured this out by now, but a new chain should be long enough for your cross bike. If you are trying to put on an old chain off of one of your road bikes, it's likely that it will be too short because the road bike is going to have shorter chainstays (found this out the hard way with my cross bike).

P.S. this is the first time I have read this thread... sorry.
Just try and step to UND Cycling if you wanna test your luck.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2010, 10:57:23 AM »
Thanks Yost. Yeah, I will try to get some pics up here. If you read the post "More Green exposer in Iowa" you should find some pics form racing I did on this bike. Back then it didn't have the Cane Creek wheels on.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2010, 05:34:08 PM »
OK, you asked, so here they are. The pics of my blueberry muffin. Specs:
Cannondale Optimo frame
Sram Rival groupo
Cannondalce C3 handle bar
Cannondale C3 seat post
Shimano PRO Vibe 7 Thor Hushovd series
Bontrager Race light seat
Tektro 270 canti breakes
Cane Creek Aerohead TI Spkoes Tubular wheel set
Tuffo T28 Pro tires

Pictures bellow. The last pic is of a guy I raced during Halloween race.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Toaster

• UND
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2010, 06:13:32 PM »
Now the question is, what did you dress up as for the halloween cx race mario?

I hope you won the contest for most skin!

and who puts a computer on a cx bike?... seriously.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 06:17:12 PM by Toaster »
Just try and step to UND Cycling if you wanna test your luck.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2010, 06:35:47 PM »
He,he,he. It's simply for my HR data. I use this bike for training in a dark, cold and wet. Like my Wednesday ride at 7 pm on the gravel with the team form Iowa City. Two hours with lumens coming only from our lights.

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2010, 09:39:16 AM »
You just couldn't stay away from that sexy Cannondale frame I had, I see how it is.
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2010, 08:35:29 AM »
You just couldn't stay away from that sexy Cannondale frame I had, I see how it is.

Fine, you got me...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic