Author Topic: Online/digital textbooks  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Online/digital textbooks
« on: September 18, 2008, 02:34:27 PM »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Online/digital textbooks
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 10:58:47 PM »
I have never downloaded a textbook for class, but I have downloaded various types of books for other purposes.

I am still trying to adjust to reading books on screen. For some reason I have no problem reading just about anything else on screen, but books are terrible (maybe its because I dont want to read the book?)

But a halfway point in between ripping students off in bookstores and online is a rental system.  I know I have heard a lot of people starting to talk about it, possibly university system wide!
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 12:47:30 PM »
How about this one:

Their Opinion: Textbooks must be affordable
Herald wire report
Published Saturday, September 27, 2008
MANKATO, Minn. — Judging a book by the price tag on its cover may convince students the pages are edged in gold leaf.

The cost of college textbooks has gone through the roof, tripling during the past 20 years, according to the Government Accountability Office.

Government is tackling the problem at the speed of a Gutenberg press. In 2010, provisions of a bill passed this summer take effect that force publishers to release more price information and require them to sell a textbook separately rather than as a more expensive package with a CD or workbook.

In the meantime, it’s reassuring to know the Student Senate at Minnesota State University is doing something to ease the burden on local students.

Through a $5,000 state grant, the Student Senate has launched the Maverick Textbook Reserve Program. The program offers students a small selection of textbook titles for checkout at MSU’s Memorial Library. To start, it has 57 copies spread out over 16 different titles.

It may be a small number of books, but if the program gains popularity and financial support, it could make a big impact. Student Monitor, a private student research service, found that the average four-year undergraduate student spent about $670 on textbooks this year.

Students are aware college textbooks cost a chunk of change, and that’s part of the reason many of them work multiple jobs as they attend school.

The problem is the cost of books is climbing at an exorbitant rate, and many of the complaints are tied to the fact that resale value plummets as new editions continuously come out.

When the MSU student government polls students about what issues are most important to them, textbook prices always rank near the top. The Student Senate’s attempt to address the issue is an admirable one, and the next step would be to expand upon the effort.

That may mean expanding the borrowing base or exploring a book-rental system.

Along with students being able to access some of the required textbooks at the MSU library, faculty members have worked directly with publishers to get materials to keep costs lower, used less expensive, condensed versions of books and fewer supplementary materials and offered material that’s available online.

If students are to make the most of their classes, then having fair access to materials is an important part of getting that well-rounded education.

— Mankato Free Press
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=87780&section=Opinion
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 06:08:42 PM »
Something needs to be done, it is ridiculous.  I know the North Dakota Student Association as well as a few universities in the Dakotas have been talking about it.  It would be nice to see at least some more pilot programs.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic