Author Topic: Need to edit music?  (Read 6733 times)

Offline northdakotastate

• NDSU
Need to edit music?
« on: May 13, 2006, 02:53:49 PM »
I needed to edit some music and came across Audacity.

Below is a description from PCWorld:

Looking for a good all-purpose audio editor? Audacity is an open-source, free audio editor that lets you record, play, convert, and edit audio files. The program lets you convert files from one format to another, edit sounds easily, mix tracks, and apply effects to your recordings. It also features a built-in amplitude envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode, and a frequency analysis window for audio analysis applications. Built-in effects include Bass Boost, Wahwah, and Noise Removal, and it also supports VST plug-in effects.

A 1.3.0b beta version offers improved performance for larger projects and has several new features such as the ability to expand and collapse tracks. However, we recommend using 1.2.4b for maximum stability.

Audacity will work with most flavors of Windows and Linux, Unix and Mac OS X versions are available from the Audacity homepage.

If you want to use VST effects for sound processing, you'll need to install the VST effect enabler by following the instructions here. To save your Audacity recordings as MP3, you'll need to download the LAME MP3 encoder by following the instructions here.

Note: Some anti-spyware packages detect Audacity as containing Buddy Spy 2.2 spyware. This is a known false positive. According to the developer: The compressed Audacity executable happens to have some of the same byte-sequences as Buddy Spy 2.2, but it's just a coincidence. See this page for details.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22513,00.asp

Offline northdakotastate

• NDSU
Re: Need to edit music?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 05:22:41 PM »
Update:

I just wanted to give you guys an update.

The program works pretty well, no problems yet.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 02:09:49 PM »
I needed to edit some music and came across Audacity.

Below is a description from PCWorld:

Looking for a good all-purpose audio editor? Audacity is an open-source, free audio editor that lets you record, play, convert, and edit audio files. The program lets you convert files from one format to another, edit sounds easily, mix tracks, and apply effects to your recordings. It also features a built-in amplitude envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode, and a frequency analysis window for audio analysis applications. Built-in effects include Bass Boost, Wahwah, and Noise Removal, and it also supports VST plug-in effects.

A 1.3.0b beta version offers improved performance for larger projects and has several new features such as the ability to expand and collapse tracks. However, we recommend using 1.2.4b for maximum stability.

Audacity will work with most flavors of Windows and Linux, Unix and Mac OS X versions are available from the Audacity homepage.

If you want to use VST effects for sound processing, you'll need to install the VST effect enabler by following the instructions here. To save your Audacity recordings as MP3, you'll need to download the LAME MP3 encoder by following the instructions here.

Note: Some anti-spyware packages detect Audacity as containing Buddy Spy 2.2 spyware. This is a known false positive. According to the developer: The compressed Audacity executable happens to have some of the same byte-sequences as Buddy Spy 2.2, but it's just a coincidence. See this page for details.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22513,00.asp

Cool program.
CampusDakota.com

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 04:38:38 PM »
While I dont really have a need for that I have a friend that does.  Thanks for the suggestion.
N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

Offline northdakotastate

• NDSU
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 11:10:51 PM »
While I dont really have a need for that I have a friend that does.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Not a problem

Offline bisonguy

• NDSU
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 03:09:08 PM »
Thanks for the find.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 09:07:26 PM »
I'm using this for mac right now and haven't run into any problems, although I haven't horsed it that much yet.  At least it records!
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic