Author Topic: Economic impact of UND students on Grand Forks  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Economic impact of UND students on Grand Forks
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:52:24 AM »
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=90143&section=News
UND Student Senate discusses economic impact
Lisa Gibson Grand Forks Herald
Published Monday, October 20, 2008
The UND student body has an annual economic impact on the Greater Grand Forks area of almost $183 million, the Student Senate told members of the Grand Forks City Council on Sunday afternoon.

The estimate is based on a nine-month school year and includes only UND students attending classes on campus. Student
expenses for tuition, fees and campus housing are not included in the figure.

“I foresee the economic impact going up if enrollment goes up,” said Ben Axtman, UND Student Senate government affairs commissioner.

Student expenditures in the nine-month period are estimated at $101.7 million. That includes child care, estimated at about $840,000, auto payments of $2.5 million, groceries, estimated at about $10.3 million and rent and utility costs of $26.8 million. Also included are electronic communications, clothing, entertainment, restaurants, gas and textbooks and supplies, the biggest expense at about $36.04 million.

The student body holds more than 5,000 jobs in the community annually and another 4,300 on campus, according to the report. Sixty-eight percent of the student body attending classes on campus holds a job while enrolled in classes.

Gibson covers education. Reach her at (701) 787-6754; (800) 477-6572, ext. 754; or send e-mail to [email protected].
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic