Author Topic: An excellent reply  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
An excellent reply
« on: September 26, 2006, 11:55:16 AM »
Quote from: Alicia Millier, to the Dakota Student
In regards to the article [link]in the Dakota Student September 22, 2006

The article "Hypocrisy comes from both sides" you speak of both sides, yet I think it fair to say that you did not give Islam a fighting chance with facts. I was born and raised Catholic mind you, so the Pope is the leader of the church. He represents my religion. He is supposed to be the most pious person to the faith and to his community. When the Pope speaks, he represents a standing religion that has about a billion followers worldwide. So in adherence to his speech, which in my opinion was shocking, I think he is putting the church up for ridicule. I feel offended by his words. I look at the man and think, "This man leads a church?" I do feel that the Pope did need to apologize for his speech personally. The point of his speech was supposed to be on "faith and reason" not the crusades. Now I think that there were many other references that he could have used. We do tend to have a rich history full of other leaders greater than the Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus. He stirred up something that will not be forgotten. I do think that the Muslims should be upset about this incident. It was a blow to their being.

Mohammad, a peaceful man, was about acceptance of other religions and not about spreading the faith by the sword or by force. In fact before the crusades Muhammad sent a charter of freedom to St. Catherine Monastery in Mt. Sinai. This was to give them protection to worship and maintain their place of devotion. He even gave them the right to be protected in war. Mohammad did such things in his own country. He made sure that the tribes that dwelled in his land were safe from attack and lived in peace. The crusades on the other hand are hard to explain in such a small space. It is an intense time full of situations that will open your mind up about Islam. Find a book about Islam. Sit down and take a look at the religion fully before you take what you hear in the news to heart... they skew the truth most of the time.

When the Pope spoke about spreading the faith with force, I do not think so. In the faith (Islam), you are to accept People of the Book (Christians and Jews). You do not attempt to convert those who are not of your faith.

The difference in those who are attacking churches is that they are not a high ranked leader of a large church. Islamic groups are more likely to be an extreme form of Islam, not following the true paths of Islam. So I think it unfair that we categorize one religion for a few people's actions. It would be similar to condemning Roman Catholicism, the religion of Timothy McVey, for the cause of the Oklahoma City bombing.

Knowledge is the only way to conquer what we do not know.

Alicia Miller
International Studies / History

Rock on!  The thing that struck me most about what he said in this article was that he said he was 'an impartial Methodist' which, in an argument between a Christian religion and a Muslim one, is most definitely on one side.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline hadija

• UND
Re: An excellent reply
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 06:46:02 PM »
Thanks for posting this!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: An excellent reply
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 12:52:33 PM »
So, hadija, do you have anything else to say?  In regards to anything?  ;)
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything