Author Topic: Borat  (Read 6462 times)

Offline bisonguy

• NDSU
Borat
« on: November 24, 2006, 03:56:52 PM »
So has anyone see the new movie Borat?  I went and saw it and it wasnt too shabby.  It was really funny but a little strange.  I would recommend it if you like a little "gross humor" however do not go and see it with your mom or anything.  I would recommend the movies to the 17-35 age range or so... maybe a little older.  Basically if you like gross humor then you should be good to go.

The plot:

"Kazakhstani TV personality Borat is dispatched to the United States to report on the "greatest country in the world." With a documentary crew in tow, Borat becomes more interested in locating and marrying Pamela Anderson than on his assignment."

For more info see: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443453/

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Borat
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 04:13:48 PM »
I went and saw it on Thanksgiving with some of my cousins.  It was pretty funny, but as you said I would recommend it to only certain types of people. 

I think some of the reactions to the movie are rather "interesting"

Gypsies Vow To Impale Borat Star

Furious gypsy villagers have vowed to impale the star of hit film Borat for poking fun at them. They want revenge on creator Sacha Baron Cohen for portraying them as rapists and prostitutes. In the film, scenes said to depict Borat's Kazakhstan home were filmed in the Romanian community of Glod.

Gheorgie Pascu - who sold Baron Cohen a cow used in the film - told The Sun: "Borat made us look like savages.

"This is Transylvania, home of Dracula. If he ever returns we will stick a stake in his backside and impale him."

Luca Tugaciu added: "Borat came here with police to guard him during filming.

"If he ever returned, it would be the end for him."

Villagers claim they were underpaid and were not informed that the film was a comedy.

Two have filed a ?15m ($29 million) lawsuit, saying they were told the film was about poverty.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/27112006/140/gypsies-vow-impale-borat-star.html

Studio slams lawsuits over roles in 'Borat'
Fox attorneys filed a legal brief Monday slamming a request for a preliminary injunction against the hit comedy Borat as a "fatuous" attempt to thwart free speech, even as the studio's legal battle spread to a second front.

"Plaintiffs may claim that they were tricked 'into making fools out of themselves' and becoming 'unsus-pecting players' in the movie Borat," the studio said in opposing the request. "They never contend . . . that bigoted and misogynistic statements were put into their mouths."

The studio and three production entities are being sued by a pair of University of South Carolina students whose seemingly drunken on-camera interviews were included in Sacha Baron Cohen's outlandish mockumentary about a tour of America by a faux news reporter from Kazakhstan.

A temporary restraining order against the film's continued distribution was denied Nov. 9, when the suit was filed. A hearing has been set for Dec. 7 in the Santa Monica branch of California Superior Court on the students' subsequent request for a preliminary injunction.

The essence of the legal argument comes down to whether consent forms signed by those interviewed will stand up against suggestions that the subjects were improperly duped into cooperating with the production. The plaintiffs' attorney also has pointed to his clients' apparent inebriation as a possible issue in the case.

Several interview subjects have groused over Baron Cohen's methodology, in which prospective film participants are approached verbally with a vague description of the project and then asked to sign consent forms. Yet only the college students had sued - until Monday, when attorneys representing a pair of villagers in Glod, Romania, filed a $30 million lawsuit over their roles in Borat.

Filed in U.S. District Court in New York, the suit seeks to stop distribution of the film until scenes showing plaintiffs Nicolae Todorache and Spiridom Ciorebea are removed.

"I think they are contending that this was presented to them as a documentary, but this was a movie that was being shot, and it was never presented as a documentary," Fox spokesman Gregg Brilliant said of the latest filing. "The village was used as a set, and the villagers were hired as extras and actors to portray a fictional village in Kazakhstan. The entire movie is a satire, which exposes racism and intolerance."

Plaintiffs in the Santa Monica suit are identified only as John Does 1 and 2. But in Fox's latest filing, studio attorneys identify the plaintiffs as Chi Psi fraternity members Justin Seay and Christopher Rotunda and suggest that the latter misidentified himself to producers.

The studio's filing also addresses the suit's contention that the students were assured that the film wouldn't be distributed in the U.S.

Borat has made almost $91 million domestically through its first three weekends in release and has rung up more than $63 million overseas to date.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/movies/article/0,2792,DRMN_23_5161329,00.html
CampusDakota.com

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 04:09:34 PM »
People will sue for anything, just to try to get money.  Get a damn job and work hard if you want money.  Or play the lottery  ;)

Offline taco87

• NDSU
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 07:27:39 PM »
I really wanted to see it, I will have to go.  Maybe when it comes to Safari 7, I'm cheap.

Offline bisonguy

• NDSU
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 10:30:26 PM »
I hate it when people sue for anything.  Come on now, it was just a movie; wont this fall into freedom of speech or something.

I think the whole problem with suing is that there are too many lawyers.

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 02:46:29 PM »
Now that movie was messed up.  For some reason I still laughed  ;) :-\
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 01:43:43 PM by ajekt »
N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 03:10:46 PM »
Its very nice!

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• UND
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 08:41:30 PM »
I think this movie is hilarious!!!!!!!  "My hobbies, ping pong, sun bathe, and disco dance."

Some people don't think so :(
IT'S A TRAP!!!!1!

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 01:44:14 PM »
I havent see it since it came out, maybe I will buy it on DVD.
N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 05:15:23 PM »

That's about what my reaction was.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 04:24:13 PM »

That's about what my reaction was.

I think its about time to watch it again, its been about a year.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic