Author Topic: pedestrians crossing university ave  (Read 6614 times)

Offline jbaker

• UND
pedestrians crossing university ave
« on: October 17, 2006, 09:13:31 PM »
jesus i want to nail every pedestrian who walks infront of me WITHOUT LOOKING or stopping YAPPING ON THEIR CELLPHONE for one god damned second!!!

do people here not know you are supposed to look before you cross?????

ok and i know its coming, the anti-argument: well, pedestrians have right of way.  no, they dont.  as per ND century code they only have RoW in designated crosswalks and if they are already in your half of the roadway.

solution:  have a lighted mass-crossing roughly where subway/skywalk is.  eliminate all other crossing areas.  have one LARGE crosswalk with a stoplight. 

instead of stopping traffic INDEFINITELY with the one by one crossing bullshit, have a big horde of pedestrians go at once, and let traffic on the road flow freely except for being stopped once every couple minutes.

i think we need a few good auto-ped accidents here to wake up these idiots.

Offline Red

• UND
Re: pedestrians crossing university ave
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 02:01:25 PM »
I'm with you.  Not half an hour ago I was driving west on university when some girl just strolls out in front of me STARING OFF WEST down the street.  Never once did I see her face till I slammed on the brakes, then its the usual death scowl peds give you as if they are gods, which I usually counter with  :thefinger:  If I hadn't stopped, one, she never would have seen it coming, and two, I would have clipped her with the right side of the car and she crossed from the right side of the street.  Take two seconds to pause so you freaking people don't screw up traffic.  I can understand during passing periods, ten till to five after, its busy, and I respect that.  It?s crazy to have dorms and major parking lots on one side of the main drag and class on the other.  But 25 after, when you are the only one around and one car is coming, have some respect for the fact that we are trying to live in a society.  Just because you can walk out in front of traffic, doesn't mean you should.  Pause for one second so the one car can go by.  And if you are going to stop traffic, hustle.  Those people that stop and turn around in the street while on a cell phone, make me sick.  The problem is that many students and faculty here at und don?t recognize the existence of other people unless they are directly interacting with them.  But getting on that issue would take me down a long road about talking and texting during lectures.
100 percent of everything is attitude

Offline wxgirl

• UND
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 06:32:27 PM »
I am also tempted to just run over the person who is by themself, alone and on a cell phone not paying attention to whether there are cars or not and just keeps on walking.  If you are a pedistrian HAVE THE CURTOUSY TO LOOK BEFORE CROSSING!  It is very different here because at CMU the major crosswalks (there are two of them) have stop signs at them.  However at UND that would mean having to stop every five seconds.

The only other thing that makes me want to scream is that OK so there are crosswalks every five feet ... why do people not cross at them??  WALK FIVE FREAKING FEET TO THEM DO NOT WALK RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY TRUCK AND NOT EVEN BE ON A CROSS WALK ARE YOU THAT LAZY!
"Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet for certain"~DMB

Offline red hibiscus

• UND
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 07:00:56 PM »
i'm more for the "right of way" argument...if people are driving down university, they should pretty much expect that there will be pedestrians crossing.  it's pretty much a given.  i know there are idiot pedestrians, and that can be frustrating too...

Offline jevart

• UND
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 12:30:39 PM »
So true - another issue is bikers who ride on the opposing traffic side... when a biker rides 15MPH down University and a driver pulls out not expecting a biker to come riding down the wrong side of the road...*BAAAAM*

Offline roben.anderson

• UND
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 10:27:43 AM »
yeah, peds are annoying, but University is treated as a crosswalk from 42nd to Columbia, peds are in the right of way. I hate when they just jump right out, 10 feet away from you, even though I'm probably one of them, lol. I'm on both sides of the line I guess. I must say though, that the street needs more lighting, or there should be some law saying you cant wear dark clothes after dark.

Offline Red

• UND
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 05:33:16 PM »
but University is treated as a crosswalk from 42nd to Columbia, peds are in the right of way.

Where is this regulation?  People always talk about it, but I have never seen it.  If all of University is a crosswalk, why is there a need for crosswalk markings?
100 percent of everything is attitude

Offline jbaker

• UND
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 11:58:28 AM »
pedestrians ONLY have the right of way in a designated crosswalk, and ONLY if they have already left the curb in the same half of the roadway that you are travelling.

check the ND century code if you want confirmation.

but University is treated as a crosswalk from 42nd to Columbia, peds are in the right of way.

Where is this regulation?  People always talk about it, but I have never seen it.  If all of University is a crosswalk, why is there a need for crosswalk markings?

Offline lynsey

• UND
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 03:56:21 PM »
I need to vent.

I was driving down university on the first snowy/icy day of the winter.

Some girl jumped out in front of me, and I almost skidded into the median when I hit the brakes to avoid hitting her. She had given me maybe 10 feet in which to stop.

People need to use some common sense and consider that if it was slippery when they drove to campus, it's going to be slippery when people have to stop for them to cross the street.

Offline turkish

• UND
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 06:29:24 PM »
I try to be a good pedestrian.

I usually stand on the sidewalk entrance to the cross walk and wait for cars to slow down.

Sometimes I look foolish, but I haven't been hit yet so it must work  :D

Offline roben.anderson

• UND
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 08:25:57 PM »
I try and be a good driver and a pedestrian with common sense, though sometimes I dont really care and if there's a car far enough away, I'll just start walking out.

Offline ranma

• UND
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 05:45:06 PM »

University is only ped right of way from Columbia to the coolie bridge.  If you drive east bound on university watch the signs as you are crossing the bridge.  But as others have correctly pointed out, ND century code applies.

Offline jbaker

• UND
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 06:08:03 PM »
i made good use of my horn today to "remind" pedestrians it is still wise to look before stepping in front of a car.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything