Author Topic: If you drive drunk and crash your car... why should I feel sorry for you?  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
So... both my grandfather and my middle cousin were hit by a drunk driver. (Both survived). Since then I REALLY began to have a dislike for irresponsibility.

For those who also may not have known. I used to work commercial EMS back home. I've seen lots. We'll just leave it at that.

So... in one of the "well to do" neighborhoods on the outskirts of my fair city. One of the local high school students and 2 (I think) of his friends were driving down one of the inner city thruways. Theres a really tight turn... lots of people wreck on it, this kid tho. Intoxicated, manages to get his car over the cement barrier and it flips over and falls I would guess (without being there) around 4 stories onto its roof and luckily missed the street below.

As far as I know there were no fatalities.

Now... I'm not trying to say that this individual doesn't deserve to live, or deserve to receive help from a higher power or lower power (EMS haha) or whatever you believe. But I noticed that there's obviously a facebook group that says something along the lines of...

"Hope for xxxxxxx" and they go on about joining up in support for this chap. Obviously, in High school everything is such a popularity contest ESPECIALLY in this particular district.

My problems:
1. Why should I feel sorry for you if you were breaking the law (underage drinking, DWI, probably numerous other traffic infractions considering I used to own a VERY fast car and never managed to flip it over that barrier).
2. Why should I feel sorry for you because your accident could've EASILY been prevented by using either A. Responsibility, or B. Better judgement. but instead, some poor guy will be having a stroke or something and there will be one less EMS crew available to get that DESERVING individual to the hospital.
3. Kids that have never met this kid will join the facebook group and then act like its the saddest thing ever. Did anyone consider that maybe YOU SHOULDN'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!?!?!?! Maybe someone should start a group that says "xxxxxx parents are oblivious"?

whatever... Im ranting.

Yes, I want this poor chap to make it out alive. But at the same time... am I going to feel sorry for him if he doesn't? sigh...

Does it make me a bad person?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I think I understand.  One the one hand, it's a great thing for this kid that he's alive.  On the other hand, it was his fault, plain and simple.  That wouldn't be so bad, if it were only his own life that he was risking every time he got behind the wheel drunk, but what if he'd hit someone on that turn?  What if he'd been driving someone else who was killed (granted, they would be as big an idiot as he for getting in the car in the first place)?  It doesn't matter that it's illegal, it matters that it he put people other than himself (anyone else driving that night) in a dangerous situation that they did not elect to be in.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Correct... its about responsibility. And the whole damn school and town are all gonna be like... awww man, its ok as long as you're alright.

I'm like, NO. Its not ok. You should be in jail!
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic