Author Topic: Professors are OLD!  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Professors are OLD!
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:47:58 AM »
According to the Beloit College Mindset List, they are.  I've never heard of this before, but it's pretty cool.  The idea is to remind instructors that the allusions they make in class may not make sense to students who haven't been around as long.

Case in point, to prove how old I am: my first memory of something happening on the world stage was the Berlin Wall  coming down.  This was in 1989, two years before my oldest niece and nephew were born and three years before this year's incoming freshers slid down the tube into life.

Of course, my writing this will just make me seem like an old fogey, so I'd better stop there.  Grad students are still students, right?

http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: Professors are OLD!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:09:49 PM »
Yeah one of my friends went to beloit and turned me onto this list... they've been doing it for like 10 years I guess... it is fascinating though. Like never using corded phones and such.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 01:48:50 AM »
We had a discussion in my networking class how some of the kids in there (hey i'm 25 so i can call the 18 year olds kids) had never used a floppy disk, nor had EVER used MSDOS or any form of command line operating system.

Its like trying to use the example of something being the size of a VCR/Cassette Tape... People don't know what that is.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:18:25 PM »
Cool list, it had a few things that were off for my year but a pretty good summary.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:27:30 AM »
We had a discussion in my networking class how some of the kids in there (hey i'm 25 so i can call the 18 year olds kids) had never used a floppy disk, nor had EVER used MSDOS or any form of command line operating system.

Its like trying to use the example of something being the size of a VCR/Cassette Tape... People don't know what that is.

It's so easy to use the command line now--when I grew up with MS-DOS, you had to either look something up in the manual, ask someone, or go without doing what you wanted to do.  Now we have the Internet and I can just Google things like "ubuntu list running processes" and find out the right command.

Man, I watched Star Wars off VHS a few years back and was amazed at how poor the quality was.  Not that I'm on-topic or anything.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 01:29:08 AM »
In windows you can watch starwars in like ASCII characters... You have to use telnet if you other super nerds are following... They said they took it out of windows after XP, but I think it's still there, they just don't have telnet as "standard equipment" in >XP...

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

I've never watched it all the way through, but word on the street is it's the entire thing... like eps 4, 5, 6. Which if you think about that, is pretty incredible.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 01:31:52 AM by Plantains »
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything