Author Topic: Too Flat, Too Furious! 2011, April 30th and May 1st - planning thread  (Read 21724 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Volunteers click here!

Plan here.

Where are we going to hold RR/TTT/Crit?
What does NDSU want to do?
Should we throw in some USAC races as well?
Anyone else want to take the lead on this?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 04:20:41 PM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: Too Flat, Too Furious 2011, April 30th and May 1st - planning thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:24:54 PM »
If you guys can get some USAC races I think that would be EXCELLENT since it might be a bigger draw.

I think we should definitely try to get the crit, and frankly perhaps try for 2 of the 3 events simply because we've got much more experience than NDSU and have "put our time in". Thats not to discredit those guys down there, I'm just saying... we've earned it.

How did the officials clinic go?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:26:07 PM »
There are now four USAC officials in North Dakota: me, Sanders, Doublefist and Ted.

You obviously don't follow us on Twitter.  :angry7:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:27:02 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 02:52:06 PM »
Are we combining the race effort with NDSU this year? I agree with Dave that we should host the crit. RR, I would probably keep the same (after all it's Too Flat, right), but maybe includ some sprint primes for some prizes??
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 03:41:03 PM »
If NDSU has a good road course, give it to them. Because a TTT is worth skipping for most teams, so if we split the event, you have to give them something that people will want to go to.

Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:50:54 PM »
Good point.
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 10:45:02 AM »
If NDSU has a good road course, give it to them. Because a TTT is worth skipping for most teams, so if we split the event, you have to give them something that people will want to go to.

I think it would be kind of silly for us to have a TTT 80 miles away on its own anyway...

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »
yea true that! Beek have you heard anything from ndsu guy about what they want to do yet?
Alone you are an athlete but on a bike you are a rocket

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 02:20:28 PM »
I just replied to an email he sent me yesterday.  He should be along sometime soon.

Josh (NDSUCC

NDSU Cycling Club
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 07:50:17 PM »
Hey all,

My name is Josh and I'm the President of the NDSU Cycling Club. I have been conversing with Matt, and have just know found your thread. I think it is great that we are working together on this. As it was pointed out, when looking at experience, we are the weaker. Earlier I wrote to Matt expressing our interest in hosting the RR and the TTT. I understand that UND would like to host the Crit and that is wonderful. I was also under the impression that the RR and the TTT are usually on the same day, which is why we went for those two. If they do not have to be on the same day, I feel that the best move would be to have NDSU hosting 1 event and UND hosting the other 2.

Our only preference, if we are allowed, would be to host an event on Saturday, not Sunday. In terms of what event we would host, you guys have the experience to know what is successful and we would trust your judgment on that. I saw someone post about the TTT and that it seems to be the weakest of the three events. Is the RR what we should proceed with?

Thoughts?

Josh Peterson

Offline Plantains

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 12:53:10 AM »
1. The events can be setup on any day in any order really.
2. In our conference since it's so bleeding huge, we generally host 2 events on saturday and one on sunday. This is because people will be arriving very late friday/early saturday, and need to leave earlier on sunday.
3. If you guys hosted an event, it would make the most sense to host yours in a way that shortens the drive. So, you could look at hosting events on saturday, or on sunday. My thinking leads me to suggest you should host yours on sunday because then they'd be able to leave earlier and be closer. However, saturday is the double event day (generally) and they'd be able to sleep in a little more?

My primary concern would be that if you hosted 2 events on saturday, people might just say screw coming up to grand forks for the one event on sunday since that would essentially "add 2 hours" to their drive home time.

My advice would be to have UND do the 2 events on saturday, and NDSU to do the one event on Sunday. I think teams will be less inclined to just leave then since you guys are on the way out of state anyways.

I also think you guys hosting a road race would be the best.

Let it be said though, I've graduated so what I have to say is generally meaningless. But at least this gives you some idea of how the weekends work.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 09:07:02 AM »
My suggestion:

Saturday at UND: Crit starting at around 10-11 (people can still get some sleep after driving), and in the afternoon, TT.
 Sunday at NDSU, RR or Circuit type race, starting around 9ish (enough time for people to get some sleep and drive down to Fargo, but yet early so that they have 3/4 of a day to travel back home)

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 01:07:17 PM »
Very good points, I think It would be best as you guys pointed out, do the crit and TTT on saturday at UND. With the crit in the morning and the TTT around 4pm.  Then the Road Race on sunday in Fargo at NDSU. What do you think Josh?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:08:28 PM by sanders »

Josh (NDSUCC)

I think those are very good points and it makes total sense to set it up this way, especially when considering driving distance. We would love to have the RR at NDSU. Is this what we are deciding on then?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Let's run with this.  It sounds good to me.

Josh (NDSUCC)

Works for us!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
We (I) will get started on the flyer to get all the details down on paper as they come up.  I'm planning on calling the whole weekend "Too Flat, Too Furious" again.  Josh, up here we'll be going through the Public Information Center for Grand Forks, which organizes all the different departments that need to sign off on events within the city limits (http://www.grandforksgov.com/gfgov/home.nsf/Pages/Special+Events).  I don't know if you have something similar for Fargo, but I can send you the paperwork we have and you can make sure you have things checked off for your course, like letting the police know and finding a location for parking and all that.

You can find some good info under "Promotor Resources" on this page: https://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=1053 and also in the USAC rulebook for Collegiate races: https://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=4220

I'm sure the folks at Great Northern will be a great help, but keep these things in mind when you're looking for road courses:
- parking
- water (not necessary, but nice, and should be marked on flyer if not available)
- bathrooms (not necessary, but nice, and should be marked on flyer if not available)
- distance (see USAC rulebook for appropriate distances)  If you can't find a good long loop, a circuit race is a possibility too.
- how many marshals needed (nice to have two per corner/intersection so people don't get bored)
- start/finish area (length of straightaway, in rulebook)
- road conditions (it's okay to have a rough or even gravel section, but people need to know about it; otherwise try to keep on smooth roads)
- traffic (good to stay away from heavily trafficked roads)
- seasonal traffic (shouldn't be a huge problem, but is during, say, beet season)
- good sections for king of the mountain or sprint points
- wind (it's always windy, but you can try to think about it)

Come on folks, other ideas?  This doesn't need to be a limited conversation.  Any more NDSU kids?
- What should we do for prizes?
- Josh, how do you guys feel about hosting a USAC RR as well?

Offline Plantains

Hosting a USAC RR would be awesome because there will be people there (in fargo I mean) that actually race USAC. That said, it's also a FANTASTIC way to gain awareness for your club, sell jerseys, and generally garner some support from the community.

It's also an excellent media event.

Josh (NDSUCC)

UND Cycling Club and members,

I have been looking at what it will take to host a race at NDSU. I called into Great Northern Bicycle and talked to Tom about everything that it would take. After working with him, talking to the city, and working through your list, there are a couple things that I need to inform you on.

First is budgeting. Because of leadership issues from last year, we do not have a budget for any expenses for this year and as I have been crunching numbers, we simply do not have any money to host such an event.

Second, I do not have the support that I was hoping I would get from the club. I have sent another email out to the club asking for volunteers to come forth, but right now I am working on this by my self. I am student teaching in Pelican Rapids during the week which means that I am only in Fargo on the weekends and it has been extremely difficult for me to stay in contact with everyone.

What this all says to me is that I think our club, as much as we have grown this year, isn't ready to take on such a large event so soon.

I know this isn't what everyone wanted to hear right now, but if we want this event to be as successful as possible, I think it would be wise if we reevaluated our decision to host the RR.

Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Josh Peterson

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Josh, I know where you're coming from.  If you're rebuilding the club it's going to take a couple years to have a solid group of people you can count on.  I'm glad you've been trying to find volunteers this early, because it makes it easier to change things.  At this point, I'd suggest we (UND) take care of hosting the race this year and you guys can focus on racing (if you're sending people this year) or coming up to help (if people change their minds and want to see how it works).

I was just today reminded that we need to have the flyer out in order to avoid late fees, so I plan on getting it done and the paperwork submitted by the end of this week.

UND peeps: it's going to be a really quick month once spring break is over, so any help people can offer would be great.  Since the plan seems to be to run USAC races as well, we're going to need to find potential event sponsors as well so we can have a prize list.

Josh (NDSUCC)

I really appreciate your understanding with the matter. I really wanted us to host an event, but we will have to wait on that. If there are other ways that we can help, please let me know. I will continue to check the board regularly and stay connected with all of you as the event is planned. Again, please let me know if there is anything that we can help with.

Josh

Offline Plantains

Josh. We appreciate your help... I'm sure these other chaps will have some tasks for you and we'll DEFINITELY need volunteers for our races, but frankly... the best thing you can do to help is to get that club going again.

It seems like every year you guys get something rolling but you struggle with maintaining the momentum. If we can somehow help, let us know. We know its hard, but it's doable. It would help us as a club, you (obv) as a club, and the NCCCC as a conference to have something like this sorted out.

I hope this doesn't come across wrong. I mean it as words of encouragement.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around

I was just today reminded that we need to have the flyer out in order to avoid late fees, so I plan on getting it done and the paperwork submitted by the end of this week.

UND peeps: it's going to be a really quick month once spring break is over, so any help people can offer would be great.  Since the plan seems to be to run USAC races as well, we're going to need to find potential event sponsors as well so we can have a prize list.

Guys, use the spring break to your advantage in pulling things together for the race. No classes, no excuses.

BTW, I need to rub it in. If you guys came to our place for spring break, you would have joined my and 23 other cyclist on a solid group ride yesterday. Among them there was 4 UoI cyclist as well. Oh, did I mention it was 50 degrees and sunny?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Special Events application for UND (for the crit) is in.  http://und.edu/student-life/safety/specialevents.cfm

Even though the city special events application people SAY they can organize things with UND, they really can't.  So we have to go through this crap.

If anyone has alternative locations for a crit in case we don't get the Ralph, I'm all ears.  I wish there were an actual loop at TRSP.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I put down Sunday for the crit with Grand Forks.  Half of you are going to hate me for this and the other half won't care.

Someone (probably me) has to go down and sign the form at the city so they can do all this.

If people want the RR on Sunday because it will take less time, I'm down with that too.  It may not work out, but I can try for it.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Someone can work on a flyer using my guidelines at http://talk.campusdakota.com/index.php?topic=5728 (see "Basic Information").

See last year's flyer (attached) for most of the info.

Name: UND Cycling and The Blue Moose present Too Flat, Too Furious

April 30th
Criterium
Use KSU's schedule (attached to above link)
Ralph Engelstad arena
See last year's flyer

Team Time Trial
See last year's flyer

May 1st
Road Race
Use KSU's schedule
See last year's flyer

Feel free to jazz it up and/or work on a race bible as well (see link above).  Make sure our sponsors are on there.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Also include a RoadID logo:http://www.RoadID.com/logos/

I just registered for event sponsorship with them so we get 50 numbers and six $15 gift certificates to give away at the races.

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

sweeeeeet!
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline Riley

• UND
Alright here's what I've got for a poster so far. I wasn't sure what the road race times are going to be and a few other things so I'll get those on when I find them out. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Offline Plantains

It looks really good. And I'm not just saying that to get you excited.

However. It should be one page. I realize there's a lot to put on one page, and as such... you can include a link to the details.

I also recommend make it look a little less spreadsheet like. Depending on what motif you're all after, Word isn't necessarily the best program to use... that said, it can be made to look very good in word if properly utilized. I think if you go the Word route, ur design is good if you can limit the spreadsheetedness of the design.

I know beek's writeup is lengthy... but check some of the stuff out. I think he has, but I could be wrong, posted some or all of our previous fliers. If he hasn't, it would be beneficial for him to include image files with a copyright or an expired watermark across them...

Ask him for some prior examples.

Offline Plantains

To add... I see u modeled it after that KSU flier. That flier sucks (sorry KSU) in the sense that it's simply a screen shot of a spreadsheet posted on their message board. It gets the job done, no question... but it's an overly complex way for solving a problem that shouldn't exist.

If I've helped you in any way... I'll be... surprised. But hey... at least I replied?

Offline Riley

• UND
haha yes. I think I can shorten it some. Also would it be a bad idea to just send the collegiate and USAC riders out at the same time for the crit? I think it would save time and allow for bigger fields but thats just me...is that even allowed?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
It would be allowed, but there are some riders who might want to do both a collegiate and USAC crit (Logan has done this, you can ask him).  Especially those who are trying to make upgrade points.

DC, the "flyer" for KSU was only on their website, so the screenshot is essentially mine, but I get the point that the flyer should be print-outable.  Wasn't ours from last year pretty griddy too?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Another example of USAC and NCCA races is the 2011 Tour de Husker flyer.

Should we have a Juniors race?  Do they need to be separate?  Jordan, would anyone come up?

Offline Riley

• UND
All of the juniors from my team will be too old to race juniors by the time our race is here and the next closest team is in the cities so unless they come I don't think it would be worth it. I have seen combined juniors- 4/5 races though. We could do a kids race though..just a lap or two around the Ralph. It might be a good way to get more people to come

Offline Plantains

If we could get juniors racers to come from MSP that would be rad because it might showcase that we have a cycling program nearby (aside from the U of M). Anyway we could contact them and say that if they're interested we would host a juniors race just for them?

I'm sure our fliers are griddy. Whats the deal... is it flier, or flyer? firefox doesn't like flyer.

Uhh... there was something else...

OH YEAH! This Jordan kid... I like the way he thinks. Nice work...

Offline Riley

• UND
 ;D... Yeah they might come up. The only thing is that I'm pretty sure there's a USAC race somewhere in the cities that weekend...Marty Road Race maybe..and well no offense to them but they don't travel out of their 30 mile radius...which is the cities. Maybe if we told them there will be free candy...

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
Or free beer :occasion14: , that would do the trick... :evil6:

Offline Plantains

Mario. They're Juniors. :colbert:

Thats silly that they only travel 30 miles. But it sounds pretty typical of people from MSP. Total homebodies. Psh.

I was thinking it would be sweet for them to do a travel race. It looks good on ur upgrade applications. And... the whole college thing would be interesting... like... they might be interested in coming to a school with an NCAA D1 Hockey championship thats recent? Not like... the uofm. Chumps.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
And... the whole college thing would be interesting... like... they might be interested in coming to a school with an NCAA D1 Hockey championship thats recent? Not like... the uofm. Chumps.

This is why we have Jordan, isn't it?

Offline Riley

• UND
Well 30 miles might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I did look it up and there is a Road race by St. Cloud that Saturday  :-\. Even though we're in ND does anyone think it would be possible to get our race on the MCF (MN Cycling Fed) calendar? I mean were like a few miles from the boarder haha... This calendar is where most people find out about races...

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
We have Jordan because Mario recruited him  8)  JK.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Well 30 miles might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I did look it up and there is a Road race by St. Cloud that Saturday  :-\. Even though we're in ND does anyone think it would be possible to get our race on the MCF (MN Cycling Fed) calendar? I mean were like a few miles from the boarder haha... This calendar is where most people find out about races...
This is exactly why I started Northern Plains Athletics.  No border issues.

Offline Riley

• UND
Nice. That would be cool to get our race on that calendar

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
? http://northernplainsathletics.com/node/79

If you know the MCF people, just send them an email and ask (or I can).  Megan Kelly is the U of M coordinator.

Offline Plantains

and put the woooooooooooooord to the streets!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Jordan, did you get a chance to work on the flyer?  If not I'm going to work from the file you posted and try to get the permit in today.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
UPDATED 13 April 2011 with fixes.

We. Are. Live.
https://www.usacycling.org/myusac/index.php?pagename=registration&eventid=1748&year=2011

I have not received confirmation on anything yet, but here is the finished (permit pending) flyer for those who are playing along at home.  Once I (or Jordan, who is technically the promoter this time) gets word from Larry that we're set to go, I'll update the website.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:05:40 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Flyer has been updated in previous post.

Offline Andrew Mills

• UND
Nice job Beek,  Looks SWEET!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Jordan did most of it.  I just added some logos and complained a lot until I got my way.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Yesterday I put up the website, put up the message board thread, and emailed everyone on our list about the race.  Sometime this weekend I will put out a call for volunteers and a press release UNLESS someone else wants to do it.

Offline Plantains

Yesterday I put up the website, put up the message board thread, and emailed everyone on our list about the race.  Sometime this weekend I will put out a call for volunteers and a press release UNLESS someone else SHOULD to do it.

FTFY.

I'm sure people want to do it, though they probably don't know how to do it. Some of the younger guys (which I think is really just Jordan, though I don't want to pigeon hole him into it) should really get involved in this because I'll be goddamned if this club is just going to die off due to laziness. It should die off due to lack of interest only. Thats all I accept. :colbert:

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I appreciate the sentiment.  For anyone interested in doing this (it needs to be done TODAY), there's even instructions on how to write a press release at http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=1053

I'll even look it over for you if you want.

Seriously folks, once I'm gone, do you really want to muddle your way through this by yourselves?  This is an important aspect of race promotion (it will get us press coverage before and during the race weekend) and we're already really close to the deadline.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
We should mark the King of the Mountain prime.  I found it on MapMyRide: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/31831332

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Draft press release.  If nobody complains, I'll send it out around 3 PM.  Please post if you check it so I know at least someone has...
20 April 2011                                      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

UND CYCLING TEAM AND BLUE MOOSE TO HOST CYCLING RACE WEEKEND,
APRIL 30-MAY 1
Road Race and Team Time Trial Criterium Championships Included in Two Days of Racing

The University of North Dakota Cycling Team will be hosting three road cycling race events on the weekend of April 30th and May 1st, 2011, open to collegiate and non-collegiate riders alike.  Championship events for the North Central Collegiate Cycling Conference (NCCCC) will be held in the team time trial and road race; a post-conference-championship/pre-nationals criterium (short track race) will also be held.  The NCCCC is made up of teams representing schools from Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, and Minnesota as well as North Dakota.

“It's really exciting for our program to be able to host this event for the second year running,” says Matt Burton-Kelly, Race/Event Coordinator for the UND Cycling Club, “and we're really happy to offer non-collegiate riders the opportunity to race a sanctioned USA Cycling event here in Grand Forks.”  This is the second event of 2011 for the club, which hosted “Bikecicle” (a winter mountain bike race)  in February.

Saturday will begin with a series of criterium races, during which riders will race on a course around the Ralph Engelstad Arena for a prescribed amount of time (from 30 to 60 minutes).  This course is spectator-friendly and will showcase high speeds and sharp corners.  The day will end with the team time trial, where teams of three or more riders work together to get the fastest time over a 10-mile out-and-back course on Merrifield Road.

The road race will be held on Sunday morning and is the namesake for the race weekend title “Too Flat, Too Furious,” with only 172 feet of elevation change over a 31.64 mile course.  Advanced riders will complete two laps.

Volunteers are requested to contact the team and spectators of all ages are welcomed and encouraged at all races.  The official race flyer, maps, and additional information are available from the UND Cycling Club website at http://www.und.edu/org/cycling.

The UND Cycling Club and Team is a recognized student organization at the University of North Dakota.  Their mission is to promote cycling and the cycling lifestyle throughout the Grand Forks area by holding scheduled rides, helping fellow students with bicycle maintenance, and representing UND in races throughout the region.

Mobile:   802-922-3696
Email:    [email protected]

Offline sanders

• UND
Looks great Beek!

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
Shouldn't you mention South Dakota in the list of schools? I know there is currently no team participating, but technically SD is part of NCCCC.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Yeah, I'll put SD in there.  Reminds me I need to email back the guy who started the Brookings club (which is now Central Plains Cycling).

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
Loooong way out but the weather models depict a downright nasty looking weekend with a gigantic low pressure system passing right over us.  Could see anything from thunderstorms to heavy snow... I'll keep you guys updated!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Thanks!  I'll handle race logistics if you can work your weather magic.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
1. Can anyone go down to Scheels today and pick something up?  Contact me and I will give you the details.
2. Has anyone talked to SBS about wrenching at the crit/driving a wheel vehicle or at least borrowing the tent?
3. Note to self: find a table for registration.
4. Has anyone called The Blue Moose to let them know about Saturday night?

Offline sanders

• UND
I talked to terry last Thursday and he said he would check how many people are working at sbs, to get somebody down with the tent and stand.

I could go down to scheels

I'll email the BM today and let them know, and send a pic of our kits/ give them an update on the season

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
You're the best president ever! :wub:

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Sanders, can you send me the notes you had about number of prizes we need to get?  I should probably get a rudimentary budget going for this race.

Who wants to go shopping with me tomorrow?  Any change you can go Logan so we can use the checkbook?  I have to volunteer at NHRG at 5 so it would be 4ish.

I will be splitting up some cassettes tonight so I need to count how many medals we need.  Do we give medals to each category (A, B, C, D) for conference champs?  Do we give TTT awards based on DI, DII?  I don't think I was involved in this at all last year.

Offline sanders

• UND
As far as I know they still lump MensA/B togeather and Womens A/B togeather. other wise yea Mens C, D and Womens C. Im pretty sure that when mario, logan, chad and I won the TTT in Nebraska last year they just did DI, and DII combined (we got the monster cookie trophy).

We had 2 primes/race which gave 20 of Logan's baked goods for prizes.

We never determined how deep we want to go for winners...if 2 deep we would need 20 prizes for the crit, 20prizes for the RR, and 4 prizes for the TTT (2 for collegiate and 2 for USAC) or we could just do medals for TTT prizes for collegiate. But this gives us 44 prizes. minus 4 prizes from scheels Gift cards, combined with some UNDCC hats.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Goooooooooood news!  Guthart has RR/TTT medals for us and is sending them up!

Offline sanders

• UND
yessssssssssssssssss!!!!

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
Current forecast...

Low should be farther north of us and a bit quicker.  Cold front passes through Friday night. 

Saturday:   Cool... temperatures in the low-mid 40s.   Chance of *light* rain/snow/mix, especially early in the day.  Winds will be decent out of the W/NW. 

Sunday:  morning will be chilly... perhaps down to freezing.   Should warm up to upper 40s-50.  Light westerly winds. Chance of showers, especially later in the day. 

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
As of now, still looks fine.  How early in the day are we talking on Saturday?  Races start at 10, are we likely looking at precip that late?  No worries if you don't know yet.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Let's skip prizes for the TTT.  Collegiate will be getting medals and I don't want to have to deal with the potential unknown number of riders on the winning USAC team(s).  That leaves 40 prizes, minus 4 from Scheels and 6 from RoadID is 30 prizes to get.  We can probably get that many prizes of comparable worth for $300 at SBS.

We have enough coins to give out for all the primes with Logan's goodies.

What did you want to do with the hats?  Give them to the USAC champs?  We could do that or throw in that amount (10) to the general prize pile and let people pick.

Thoughts?

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
Forecast basically the same except a bit colder on Sunday.  Precipitation is a bit weaker with the latest model run.  Call it hit or miss weak showers Sat morning-early afternoon.  Nothing show stopping...  temperatures will be above freezing, but it will be pretty cold aloft so it could be light rain or snow (nothing that will accumulate).

Offline Plantains

ou what site are you using to get ur models. Not that I think they're wrong, I'm just interested for my own nerdiness.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
www.twisterdata.com   looking at the NAM and GFS models 

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Intellicast says snow accumulating 1-2 inches over Saturday night, is this accurate???????

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
Well.... the models have changes quite a bit over the past day. They now track the low pressure JUST north of us and at a slightly slower pace.

What does this mean? Well... I have even less confidence in the forecast since we could end up something drastically different if the low tracks south/north 100 miles or quicker/slower.

At the present time...
Saturday:  Cold front passes through in the evening. As a result, we should be warmer (40-50s) and have southerly winds for the morning/afternoon before switching to W/NW.    Chance of precip the night before so roads may be wet.  With the current model runs, it looks precip-free through the morning and early afternoon.  Higher change of precipitation during the TTT.   This precipitation will occur behind the cold front and I would give a high chance of it being snow (or at least mixed with snow).

With this snow sat night, there is a risk of some minor accumulations.  Ground should be warm after this week, however, so I would expect roads to just be wet. 

Sunday looks dry... as I mentioned before it looks chilly... near freezing in the morning and warming up into the low-mid 40s.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Thanks Aaron, that makes me feel better.  I was hoping it was warm enough that any snow we had would slush up and melt pretty quickly by Sunday morning.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

For those who were present for the discussion after the meeting last night, I decided that the charge for the TTT (as a person's only race on Saturday) will be $13, which includes the daily license and the $3 insurance surcharge to USAC.  The event is as "free" as we are allowed to make it and still be sanctioned/insured for the event.  If someone does the crit, they are covered already for the day. 

We can't have people without USAC licenses, and there is no reason we should subsidize the insurance surcharge for them, but we also can't jack up the price after we say there is no charge for the TTT.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I will be meeting with a Grand Forks Herald reporter today at 1 PM in Archives if anyone wants to come along and contribute to (or watch me stumble through) an interview about the race weekend.  Please let me know.

Woo!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything