Author Topic: Slax: your pocket operating system  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Slax: your pocket operating system
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:21:56 pm »
If you've never tried Linux before, Slax might help you decide.  It runs off a CD, which means you can try it on the computer you have now without worrying about wiping your existing operating system or creating a new partition.

I recently downloaded the live CD to use in case I couldn't get a friend's computer to boot XP anymore, because you can boot Slax, access all the drives, and copy files to an external hard drive if your existing operating system is SNAFUed--because Slax is its own OS, it ignores the existing software and just gives you access to the hardware.

Even though we didn't need it for that purpose, I recently needed to clone a hard drive with XP on it onto a bigger drive, and didn't have an external enclosure.  So I popped Slax into the CD drive, booted it, and used some awesome terminal commands to clone one internal drive to the other (note that I also had to use GParted to expand the partition afterward, which comes as its own live CD).

Download Slax and give it a try if you've never seen Linux before.  It works great for fixing those frightening "OMG my computer won't boot!!!11" problems, so keep a copy around.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is 5 plus 5?:

realistic
anything