Author Topic: Slax: your pocket operating system  (Read 4000 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Slax: your pocket operating system
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:21:56 PM »
If you've never tried Linux before, Slax might help you decide.  It runs off a CD, which means you can try it on the computer you have now without worrying about wiping your existing operating system or creating a new partition.

I recently downloaded the live CD to use in case I couldn't get a friend's computer to boot XP anymore, because you can boot Slax, access all the drives, and copy files to an external hard drive if your existing operating system is SNAFUed--because Slax is its own OS, it ignores the existing software and just gives you access to the hardware.

Even though we didn't need it for that purpose, I recently needed to clone a hard drive with XP on it onto a bigger drive, and didn't have an external enclosure.  So I popped Slax into the CD drive, booted it, and used some awesome terminal commands to clone one internal drive to the other (note that I also had to use GParted to expand the partition afterward, which comes as its own live CD).

Download Slax and give it a try if you've never seen Linux before.  It works great for fixing those frightening "OMG my computer won't boot!!!11" problems, so keep a copy around.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything