Author Topic: Looking for some computer gear if anyone has any to donate  (Read 17944 times)

Offline Meest

• UND
Looking for some computer gear if anyone has any to donate
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:36:07 AM »
Trying to get a basic "Digital Signage" setup going at the Empire Arts Center... AKA a small form factor computer with wifi and the largest LCD screen we can find on a budget (which is zero right now until i convince them this is a good thing).

Goal is to put it on the counter when you walk in right now and advertise upcoming events/current event and ticket prices, etc. Right now they are stuck in the stone age (pieced of paper) and its driving me nuts.

If anyone has anything.... let me know. I'm taking my own monitor there this coming wednesday night to try out at the movie WHICH IS FREE ADMISSION AT 7PM!! to see how it will work out. I'm just going to be using my netbook to try it out also.

If anyone has any contact with the kiwi project at UND I would love you. This would be an ideal setup for an opensource simple unit, Might have to be able to read Power point files though (Yea i know not open source) but the idea would be to let the Empire make a Power Point presentation on their office computers upstairs and dump it onto this guy and load it. Simple and effective. I know openoffice will play PPT so thats not a big deal. I left a message on their facebook page tonight also.

Thanks guys for anything you can offer!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:43:39 AM by Meest »

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Looking for some computer gear if anyone has any to donate
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 01:06:12 AM »
Try the University surplus sales.. they might have some cheap stuff.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 06:51:03 PM »
Have you found anything for this yet?  I can probably supply some type of small computer, but I don't have any spare lcds laying around.  I have an iBook that could theoretically could be modded to turn the display around (that would be cool, actually), but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 11:07:39 PM »
Haven't found anything yet Sal. If you have a smallish form factor computer (Laptop or desktop) that could run power point better than a 566mhz Celeron running windows 2000 I would love you, as thats what I have to work with now... They are getting a marketing intern if things go right, so its going to be a project for them to have a powerpoint/slide show updated for events to show new current information.

Right now they're running on 2 of my donated computers and some old CRT's that were donated upstairs in the office area. If you have an extra 17 or 19" crt you want to get rid of I could use one more there. Been watching CraigsList to see if any cheap LCD's show up.

Send me a PM if you have anything, or if you just want to drop it off there you can certainly do that. I can work on it there.

Its a labor of love of mine, the Empire. Glad I found a fun place to volunteer at.

PS. we're looking for anything better than a 16 port 3com 10mb network hub.... PLEASE? :D

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic