Author Topic: Networking question  (Read 9203 times)

Offline Meest

• UND
Networking question
« on: March 07, 2010, 06:51:54 PM »
Since there really isn't much of a computer forum around here locally that I know of. I thought i would pose this question here.

I currently reside in a basement apartment with all utilities paid. The owner of the basement is letting me share internet connection with them also. So they have a WRT54G2 set up (I am not able to change this piece of equipment but I have access to the control panel) So I have wireless access in the basement. There is no option to run a wire downstairs for me. I'm currently looking at trying to figure out an option so that I can have a "wired" connection down in the basement for my other projects.... I've debated using a Wireless bridge but i'm not sure about Double NAT issues...

Does anyone have any recommendations on network bridges, or does anyone have any experience with setting up a WRT54GL or something similar with a version of DDWRT and using it to connect to the other access point with multiple mac address support?? (only about 4 Mac's max needed)

Awkward setup I know, but for the price I'm not going to complain...It just puts a hamper on my projects I can do... =/

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Networking question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 01:23:42 PM »
So your wired connection is just for devices that dont have wireless?  Would it be cheaper to setup a power-line network?  What about buying a wireless card/adapter?  Just trying to think of cheaper options, I think bridging may be a bit expensive... of course I have never set up anything like this myself.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 02:51:13 PM »
I know Apple products (Airport Extreme, Time Capsule) are capable of wireless network extension, but I don't know about other bridges.  I'm assuming you want to use a wired router for all your machines and then go from that router to your wireless connection.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 03:13:23 PM »
Power line isn't an option. the two units are on separate meters. The reason I want the bridge is that most of my projects involve linux distro's in which I'd rather not Troubleshoot wireless drivers/setups until I know the wired portion is working.

yes sal, thats my idea... It looks as if I might just have to buy some hardware and experiment! :D... might start getting expensive but we'll see.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 05:55:53 PM »
You are still having trouble with wireless on linux out of the box?  Wow, I guess I am so use to Ubuntu just working so well I didnt even think about that.  As far as bridges I dont know.  Hummm, let me ponder
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:45:55 PM »
I've had not so good of luck with some of my D-link PCI cards. had an issue with the netgear one also. So over all not a fan of wireless in in linux so far... the intel 2200 series drivers are rock solid though. no complaints on notebook drivers. Sure I could go buy a PCI Wireless network card that is "Compatable" with ubuntu, but that doesn't mean it will work for everything linux/debian based. where as anything seems to work with a trusty FA311 NIC.

I also don't exclusively use ubuntu. hence the project boxes as i tend to test out different distro's. Right now for a class I'm doing a project with a clearOS box and need to be able to get it on the network with minimal time spend troubleshooting it.... either that or i have to find a different location for it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:46:35 PM by Meest »

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 06:20:39 PM »
Good point.  Sorry I cant be more help, I have never done this before.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 05:43:28 PM »
Yea I haven't seen anything about it either... I think i'm just gonna buckle down and get a WRT54GL and load it up with DD-WRT and see if i can get it to listen to me... I'll post back if I get it working.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 01:13:59 AM »
Sweet, good luck
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 08:38:36 PM »
in the spirit of how forum threads usually end up I will put the thread flamer 13 year old response.

"Wow you guys are all &*@#$(er's!! You're not answering my question about a specific item no one has or really has has a purpose to try... why don't you guys have no life and think of every function that a random rtard like me could possibly need?!?"

But actually i'm just going to go try.. This thread just felt empty without that response..

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »
in the spirit of how forum threads usually end up I will put the thread flamer 13 year old response.

"Wow you guys are all &*@#$(er's!! You're not answering my question about a specific item no one has or really has has a purpose to try... why don't you guys have no life and think of every function that a random rtard like me could possibly need?!?"

haha, nice

But actually i'm just going to go try

Any updates?
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 06:17:27 PM »
Nah, I haven't had the funds to buy what I want to mess with yet. Hoping for April to be the go time for it... We'll see. I found a way to do my project for the class without this... but I'd like to have it running :P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 06:52:14 PM »
dang that whole money thing
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything