Author Topic: Networking question  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Meest

• UND
Networking question
« on: March 07, 2010, 06:51:54 pm »
Since there really isn't much of a computer forum around here locally that I know of. I thought i would pose this question here.

I currently reside in a basement apartment with all utilities paid. The owner of the basement is letting me share internet connection with them also. So they have a WRT54G2 set up (I am not able to change this piece of equipment but I have access to the control panel) So I have wireless access in the basement. There is no option to run a wire downstairs for me. I'm currently looking at trying to figure out an option so that I can have a "wired" connection down in the basement for my other projects.... I've debated using a Wireless bridge but i'm not sure about Double NAT issues...

Does anyone have any recommendations on network bridges, or does anyone have any experience with setting up a WRT54GL or something similar with a version of DDWRT and using it to connect to the other access point with multiple mac address support?? (only about 4 Mac's max needed)

Awkward setup I know, but for the price I'm not going to complain...It just puts a hamper on my projects I can do... =/

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Networking question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 01:23:42 pm »
So your wired connection is just for devices that dont have wireless?  Would it be cheaper to setup a power-line network?  What about buying a wireless card/adapter?  Just trying to think of cheaper options, I think bridging may be a bit expensive... of course I have never set up anything like this myself.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 02:51:13 pm »
I know Apple products (Airport Extreme, Time Capsule) are capable of wireless network extension, but I don't know about other bridges.  I'm assuming you want to use a wired router for all your machines and then go from that router to your wireless connection.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 03:13:23 pm »
Power line isn't an option. the two units are on separate meters. The reason I want the bridge is that most of my projects involve linux distro's in which I'd rather not Troubleshoot wireless drivers/setups until I know the wired portion is working.

yes sal, thats my idea... It looks as if I might just have to buy some hardware and experiment! :D... might start getting expensive but we'll see.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 05:55:53 pm »
You are still having trouble with wireless on linux out of the box?  Wow, I guess I am so use to Ubuntu just working so well I didnt even think about that.  As far as bridges I dont know.  Hummm, let me ponder
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:45:55 pm »
I've had not so good of luck with some of my D-link PCI cards. had an issue with the netgear one also. So over all not a fan of wireless in in linux so far... the intel 2200 series drivers are rock solid though. no complaints on notebook drivers. Sure I could go buy a PCI Wireless network card that is "Compatable" with ubuntu, but that doesn't mean it will work for everything linux/debian based. where as anything seems to work with a trusty FA311 NIC.

I also don't exclusively use ubuntu. hence the project boxes as i tend to test out different distro's. Right now for a class I'm doing a project with a clearOS box and need to be able to get it on the network with minimal time spend troubleshooting it.... either that or i have to find a different location for it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:46:35 pm by Meest »

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 06:20:39 pm »
Good point.  Sorry I cant be more help, I have never done this before.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 05:43:28 pm »
Yea I haven't seen anything about it either... I think i'm just gonna buckle down and get a WRT54GL and load it up with DD-WRT and see if i can get it to listen to me... I'll post back if I get it working.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 01:13:59 am »
Sweet, good luck
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 08:38:36 pm »
in the spirit of how forum threads usually end up I will put the thread flamer 13 year old response.

"Wow you guys are all &*@#$(er's!! You're not answering my question about a specific item no one has or really has has a purpose to try... why don't you guys have no life and think of every function that a random rtard like me could possibly need?!?"

But actually i'm just going to go try.. This thread just felt empty without that response..

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 05:37:48 pm »
in the spirit of how forum threads usually end up I will put the thread flamer 13 year old response.

"Wow you guys are all &*@#$(er's!! You're not answering my question about a specific item no one has or really has has a purpose to try... why don't you guys have no life and think of every function that a random rtard like me could possibly need?!?"

haha, nice

But actually i'm just going to go try

Any updates?
CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 06:17:27 pm »
Nah, I haven't had the funds to buy what I want to mess with yet. Hoping for April to be the go time for it... We'll see. I found a way to do my project for the class without this... but I'd like to have it running :P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 06:52:14 pm »
dang that whole money thing
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is 5 plus 5?:

anything
realistic