Author Topic: USAC Cyclocross Race Planning Thread  (Read 10540 times)

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
USAC Cyclocross Race Planning Thread
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:26:01 PM »
Race is quickly approaching... here are the immediate concerns... don't mind the stream of consciousness typing!

Course Layout:  Riverside Park in same area as the series last year.  I will take charge of the course design, roughly following what we did last year.    Changes: I want a mud pit near the river, and perhaps some crazy up/down/all-around stuff on the dike. Think going back and forth over and over.

Needs for the course:   Barriers (I'll talk to Sears about them), posts/tape (I heard we need new tape?).

I will organize a prelim course organizational ride for either tue/wed late afternoon/early evening.  This will give us a good idea on how long we will need to setup Sat. morn.

Will also need a few volunteers to help take down the course.

Administrative Duties:
-Need at least one or two volunteers to manage a table for registration.  -
-Any last minute advertising?
-Budget estimation and pickup of prizes
-Tickets for remaining swag raffle (like last year)
-What about that sound system? Need someone in charge of that
-USAC reffing stuff (Taken care of by Riley)
-Are we in good terms with the park district? What about the warming hut/pavilion
-If I can't find a generator, is there $$$ to rent one to pump water onto the course to make mud pit?

That's what I have so far.  Feel free to add to the discussion.

Offline Riley

• UND
Re: USAC Cyclocross Race Planning Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »
I got ahold of the park district. To reserve a shelter for the day is $40. I can go in and fill out the forms on Monday if you guys want to do that. I also received the USAC folder in the mail...but they sent it to my parents house...I'm a moron. It should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I can also do registration and set up too.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 01:23:23 PM »
Could we just use a good old hand pump for making mud?  It seems like something we should have floating around geology somewhere.  I'll make some inquiries.  Maybe we could modify one of those big raft/air mattress hand pumps on the end of a garden hose to work with water, although it seems like we'd need a lot of suction to get the thing primed.  How much hose will you need Aaron?

I can check with Ted on his speakerbox if that will work.
I have three real barriers and Ted has most of the stakes.
Who is refereeing, has that been established yet?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 01:38:50 PM »
Is there going to be a $1 or $5 charge for doing a second race?  I think we said you can race both, you can only place (and receive a prize) in one (your appropriate category).  I'd like to get this information out there so I can let people know that they can still do the Cat 1/2/3 race even if they are a Cat 4 rider.

Offline Lauren

• UND
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 03:01:47 PM »
Hey I can help with registration. Just let me know what time you want me there. I can also help with tear down.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 04:40:17 PM »
Dave Sears says he can probably round up a generator for a pump.  I scoped out the area just now to refresh my mind.  The trail near the river is actually pretty far away... far enough that rigging up any sort of device to pump water isn't feasible.  That said, the trail continues north towards the dam sign. This area is still muddy to some extent and is close to the water.  This would be the best bet.  The only downside is the section of trail just outside of the mud area is  rough due to a number of footprints that are dried up. Could fix this by wetting this area too.

So right now what I'm thinking is lopping off the section of the course on the far southend of the park (on the dike and around that retaining pond) from last year.  I think I have figured out a way to make two shorter sections on the trail that can be connected to the area near the pavilion.  In doing so, the course should be a little shorter and more compact (better for spectators). 

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »
Oh, and I have plenty of hose if you can find a hand pump. 

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 07:37:59 PM »
The course could loop into that perennially muddy area near the dam sign and then back (west) up the hill, across the path, and onto the dike, then south through the trees in the middle of the park and onto the doubletrack there.  I wouldn't make the whole thing shorter than about a kilometer though.

That section isn't muddy now (went through tonight) but could be easily.

I may have access to a gas-powered pump thingamajig.  Can you estimate the distance from the river to the mud at the dam sign?

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 09:36:31 PM »
My guess is 10-15 yards?

There are two paths leading into that area.  My general layout is as follows:

Start race near pavillion. Go up dike to west.
-Travel north along dike. Descend near the confluence of the greenway paths onto atv path.
-Take ATV path on loop to the north such that you run the the dam section from N to S.  You can follow that ATV trail back out to the greenway near the basketball courts. 
-Head past the basketball courts and do some technical back n forths while climbing/descending the dike.  This section falls within the bounds of the initial dike climb/descent so there is no course overlap.
-After this, travel east past the pavillion by winding through the trees. 
-For the final part of the course, travel east out of the trees just S of the pavillion and take a shortcut down to the path near the river. Travel south along this path and take another E/W shortcut out to the greenway, then head north straight towards the pavillion.   

I'll post a rough map in a bit. 

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 09:41:40 PM »
map attached... lots of details in those squiggles I can't really draw. Sadly the satellite images are way out of date. 

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 12:36:39 AM »
Nice find!   Here's the new and improved map with some annotations.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 09:43:41 AM »
Although there is some interpretation allowed regarding course width and number of artificial obstacles, you should take a look at the USAC rulebook to see what sort of course design rules need to be followed, specifically the length of starting and finishing stretches: https://www.usacycling.org/forms/USAC_rulebook-5.pdf

Otherwise it looks good. :)

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »
Based off that, I'd move the start/finish to the long straight-away just before the opening climb. 

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 11:06:32 AM »
Based off that, I'd move the start/finish to the long straight-away just before the opening climb. 
Looks good to me.

Ted's speakerbox is not currently operating.  I can get the stakes from him at any time.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 01:26:11 PM »
OK lets plan on CX course work on wed... 5pm.   Although the race course is roughly laid out, there will be plenty of options for planning out the route through the park.  Also need to clean up portions of the course to make sure it is easy to mark on Saturday.   This may involve weed whacking/removing obstacles (and adding logs) to parts of the trail.  If we pick out a nice route through the park, I (or anyone else) could lightly mow the centerline so all we have to do Saturday is setup the stakes/tape.   

I don't think we'd get in trouble for mowing the grass down a half inch or so although we might get some weird looks.

I will drive over with my mower/weed whacker so plan on meeting me there (although the rest of you could meet at the union first and head over).

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 09:42:19 PM »
I will be unable to attend any other meetings this week or be there on Wednesday.  I may not even be there on Saturday. 

Don't count on me for anything ever again regarding the UND Cycling Club.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 09:18:14 PM »
Latest update on planning after tonight's meeting:
Course ride tomorrow (Wed. 5pm)  I have the generator and pump working, I'll bring the mower. We'll chart out the details of the course.

Prizes/Racer #s/Raffle Tix All taken care of.
Still need to get tape/stakes from Ted,  barriers from Beek (???)  Probably need to get another role of tape from Menards or wherever.

Volunteers:
Setup 8am (putting up tape/stakes - the more the merrier):
-Aaron/Riley/Logan/Mills

Two for registration (setup 10am/10:30?, reg starts at 11):
Lauren / ????

Official: Logan for at least one race.  2nd would be nice?
Course safety - min of 4 along the course where it crosses the Greenway. Need to print out some race in progress signs to place on Greenway

Takedown-
Probably the setup crew.

Offline JakeCooley

• UND
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 09:32:43 PM »
I found 1 volunteer who is in to help (Griffin S.) and am also asking another to possibly help out.

Offline Lauren

• UND
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 07:05:28 AM »
hey yupp ill be there to help with registration, see you there.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything