Author Topic: Student leadership and UND Cycling  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Student leadership and UND Cycling
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:16:58 am »
I just took the "online survey about your leadership experience at the University of North Dakota" that was sent around to various UND students in student organizations.  It was a lot of questions about what type of clubs I've been in, how good a student I've been, etc., but then it got down to details: in the student organization I've spent the most time organizing, how much has it helped me in various aspects of my life?

There were a lot of questions, but the gist is that UND Cycling Club (when I was more involved) was the first group I found who were really serious about what they were doing and wanted to share that intense involvement with other people.  It took me two years before I found the club, but in the years that followed, it was a central part of my life until I decided to step away to pursue academics and my personal life more.

UND Cycling Club taught me about (in no particular order)
- how to deal with people I don't agree with
- how to budget money and time
- how to learn to trust that my teammates aren't going to kill me
- bicycles
- group communication and how freaking important that is
- how to think critically and solve problems
- how to understand other "cultures" (everyone learns how to race differently)
- how to understand other "cultures" (everyone gets something unique out of riding)
- how to have a discussion that isn't an argument
- how to boost morale
- all that important stuff they grouped together: setting goals, running a meeting, influencing others, planning and event, advertising an event, presenting and writing
- flying (who knew pilots would be so into cycling?)
- how to be confident in myself and others
- so much more

I've moved on from the club, unfortunately, but that doesn't mean I don't miss the people who were a part of it when I was involved.  UND Cycling has probably had the biggest impact of any group of people since I moved to Grand Forks, and for that I am thankful.

Beek
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

Re: Student leadership and UND Cycling
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:00:10 am »
Beek.. Good post dude,

Meeting you guys has changed the course of my life. 95% of the reason I moved to Oregon was for cycling! I must say, it has not been disappointing in the least.

It all started with you guys.. Carl on his unicycle dragging me to a UNDCC meeting. It was good to have a group of guys to train and learn from, and learn with in a lot of cases. I hope we can all get back and ride together sometime, because you guys rock.

-Logan
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Student leadership and UND Cycling
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 03:03:19 pm »
You look like you're doing pretty badassly!  DC dropped the "P" word when he was here, are you still thinking about/working on that?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple?:

anything
realistic