Author Topic: Distracted Driving  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Toaster

• UND
Distracted Driving
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:21:39 PM »
Don't talk on your phone/text and drive. This girl kills a guy on his bike while she was texting, and get sentenced to probation and 100 hours of community service. That's justice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr7TfwtO17I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf5TO7hObSg&feature=related

DC, are you a cop yet? Start fining/arresting these idiots.
Just try and step to UND Cycling if you wanna test your luck.

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: Distracted Driving
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »
No... but there is a road that's closed for construction near my house that makes it VERY inconvenient to get to my buddy's house. But I just drive around the road closed signs. The construction workers definitely think I'm a cop.

The moral of this story is... road closed means road closed unless you're DC.

Seriously though. You should've seen the shock and awe the texting and driving people brought to the auto show here. It was like a tree with a car growing on it. Crazy.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:28:20 PM »
Didn't call 911 and won't admit what exactly distracted her?  You'd think those bits of information would factor into the sentencing.  I wonder how many cyclists are hit a year in GFK.   

You know what's more amazing?  I was sentenced to 120 hours of community service in HS for a prank that caused no permanent property damage.  Man is our legal system jacked up. 

Offline Plantains

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:19:20 AM »
Tell me about it... ::)
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:01:18 AM »
Since DC has left, cyclists getting hit by cars has dropped to zero.

Actually, this would be a great statistic to have, but I don't think it is ever reported when it happens.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 10:39:28 AM »
Cyclists getting hit and whining about it has dropped to zero. Thats a fact.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:25:52 PM »
Was just going to post that.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 08:03:30 PM »
Grand Forks is NOT a bicycle friendly place. I don't care what people say. This accident seems pretty common though in terms of accidents. It could've happened anywhere in the country, and I'm "ok with it". Meaning... at least it wasn't some retaliatory nonsense, or a drunk, or someone weaving off the road and killing someone. It was probably a less than aware cyclist trying to use the sidewalk, and a less than aware driver that had no reason to expect the cyclist to be where they were.

That all of course, remains to be seen.

Glad to hear the bloke was alright though... thats for sure.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »
One problem with the city is the mix of bike paths/routes/lanes throughout the city.

Bike lane on University.  Ok... good idea, but I've nicknamed it the death lane.  I have a friend who has been hit twice within a few blocks of the union while riding in the bike lane (not his fault).   I have had several close calls... mainly people who think they can turn in front of you.  Bike lane should be extended all the way downtown and increase signage... MAYBE this would raise awareness. 

Bike paths:  Great* when they lay along paths you need (I.e. Demers, along 42nd southbound). I put the * next to great because with a MTB they are ok.  I think you would trash your rims quick with a road bike, but I can't comment on that. 

The issue is connecting all the dots if you will.  For example, Columbia and Washington south from Demers to the respective bike paths that are at approximately 17th and 24th streets and on south. No way in hell I would ride on either of those roads. So why bother with the bike path farther south? Might as well go down a less traveled street such as 20st S.

The final issue is the number of elderly drivers.   It seems higher than other cities I've been in.  Distracted drivers... well they are everywhere.  Maybe I'm going overboard bit I have plans to pick up some hi-viz jerseys in the near future

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:19:18 PM by OUWxGuesser »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 11:27:54 PM »
Best wishes go out to Olson, I hope he ends up okay.

WDAZ has a photo: http://www.wdaz.com/event/image/id/3216/headline/Bicycle%20in%20street/

By the way, I just looked up the number of Auto/Bicycle crashes per year in Grand Forks; available on the last page here.  I wonder how many of these were ever reported by the press (homework assignment for someone else).

Offline Plantains

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 12:33:58 AM »
Bike paths are stupid. Drivers licenses in this country are a joke. OUwx... I'm sure you've read my tales of getting hit by cars.

Its late. I'm going to bed.

It'd be interested to see how the statistics relate to when the bike paths were/weren't installed.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 10:47:24 AM »
Dave, not all bike paths are stupid.  Did you mean bike lanes?  You can travel from DeMers to Columbia Mall on the path by the coulee and only cross a couple streets, compared with dealing with traffic and stop signs as an alternative.  I think that's a win whether you are a new or experienced cyclist.

This is from 1998, which is far enough back to be interesting.
MINUTES/PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE
August 10, 1998 - Page 3

7. Matter of bikepath crossing at 17th Ave.s. at Coulee west of Columbia Road.
John Thompson, traffic engineer, reported there was an accident that occurred on June 24 (boy on a bike - riding or
pushing - was hit by a car, that car westbound and pedestrian headed southbound at 17th Ave. Coulee crossing) and enclosed map of the area. He reported that design location constructed about 3 years ago, there are stop signs on the bikepath and on 17th Ave.S. there's a bikepath crossing sign and an advance warning ahead of that. He also noted that traffic on 17th Ave.S is about 9,000 and no recent pedestrian/bike counts, no sight obstructions noted in the crash report or apparent in the field at this time, and intersection control is appropriate for conditions, crossing consistent with other mid-block bikepath crossings. He stated there are some alternatives - grade separation; but sites and funding available for crossings isn't adequate to grade separate. He reported on bicycle accidents in Grand Forks/East Grand Forks from 1990 to 1995, 110 accidents (Grand Forks 100 and EGF 10), accidents mainly occur on Washington, University, Columbia Road, N. 5th Street, South 5th Street, etc.) or major arterial streets. He stated they are sensitive to the occurrence and need to solve problems in Bikeway Committee and bike planning and they are working to resolve some of these through design and location but accidents continue to occur.

Prisilla Campbell stated that her son was injured in the accident at this location, and would like to see traffic slow down, some-thing to protect children little bit more, this is near Century School, that there are many people using the bikepath, good path for bikes and people walking, etc. but drivers not stopping for pedestrians to cross the street. Bakken stated they sympathize but not sure there is lot more to do other than better enforce-ment of traffic, and they are doing that on a city-wide basis but will concentrate on school areas because of children. Martinson stated that he concurs, and speeding totally out of hand, need to crack down on speeding.

Moved by Bouley and Martinson to put necessary signage there.
It was noted that there is signage at this location, and comes back to enforcement.

Moved by Martinson and Bouley to direct police department to conduct heavier surveillance on 17th Avenue South west of Columbia Road and other schools as necessary. Motion carried.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 04:18:30 PM »
Oh yeah... I meant bike lanes. That nonsense on university is a death trap. Bike paths are like an advanced type of sidewalk... Im neither for nor against them frankly... but I could also say I'm neither against nor for them.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 10:55:59 AM »
This is a good video to show how "taking the lane" on busy roads can make you more visible and require a lane change by overtaking motorists.
http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2010/11/29/helping-motorists-with-lane-positioning/

I'm still not sold on this on rural two-lane roads.  Lately I've noticed people being sloppy and taking up a whole lane when there is traffic in both directions, which to me is just antagonizing drivers excessively who want to get by.  That's an entirely different discussion though.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 11:15:08 PM »
Interesting video.  I normally ride RHS unless there are parked cars.  I'll take the lane on portions of University where it is pretty narrow (with parked cars).  I also take the lane going into stop signs/ intersections. 

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic