Author Topic: Watch out, undergrads  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Watch out, undergrads
« on: February 14, 2011, 09:05:01 AM »
It's a good thing some sports fans don't have control over the educational mission of your schools.  If so, you might have to deal with this guy.

IMO, the answer [of whether UND and NDSU should continue growing] is no. NDSU and UND are more than aptly serving the mission of educating those ND high school students that want a 4 year or advanced degree. At this point, further expansion of undergraduate enrollment serves only to use ND tax dollars to educate more students from Minn, Wisc. and other state's students from the student exchange programs.

It's not particularly helpful as those students just return to their home states anyway.

The much better purpose, IMO, is the expansion of the graduate programs and research activities, including partnerships with private companies in ND to conduct research and spin-off companies from research projects. That's the biggest benefit by far to the state. Undergrad students just help pay the bills.I'd rather see the state kick in more dollars than force the schools to expand undergrad size in order to fund research growth.
http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/14097-enrollment/page__view__findpost__p__460428

JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Watch out, undergrads
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »
Wow, I am really surprised that he didnt say we should spend more on athletics.  Sure partnerships and research are good, but they are supplements.  The mission of these schools is to educate people.

He is rather contradictory.  At one point he says its about teaching -- the next minute he is saying that students are there to .. "help pay the bills."  Students should not be there to help pay the bills for research or what not, they are there to learn... and hopefully get a degree and make a positive impact on the world.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• UND
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 01:26:01 PM »
I'm definitel yin school to learn...not to pay anyone's bills.  Getting out soon and having to pay my own bills, yerch.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:27:23 PM by Admiral Ackbar »
IT'S A TRAP!!!!1!

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 06:38:52 PM »
Bills for reasons like this are fun, er not :angry9:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:39:48 PM by pmp6nl »
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything