Author Topic: Why protest Obama coming to Grand Forks?  (Read 4061 times)

Offline red hibiscus

• UND
Why protest Obama coming to Grand Forks?
« on: March 31, 2008, 01:42:04 PM »
I recently found out that people are supposedly going to be protesting outside the Alerus Center on Friday before Obama's speech. Initially this didn't make much sense to me... why protest? When I think of typical protests, they're usually in response to some unfair practices or injustices that have happened. Obama hasn't done anything horrible that would warrant a protest...has he? Unless running for president has suddenly become something to protest about...

If people are protesting just because they don't agree with Obama's political views, then I don't think that's grounds for a protest.

Any thoughts?

Offline Meest

• UND
Re: Why protest Obama coming to Grand Forks?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 07:11:23 PM »
Are they Protesting Hillary too now?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:49:44 PM »
Yeah, looks like it:
********IMPORTANT UPDATE**************
THE GRAND FORKS HERALD HAS CONFIRMED THAT
HILLARY CLINTON WILL BE SPEAKING IN THE ALERUS CENTER AT 8PM FOLLOWING OBAMA!!!!!!!

ARTICLLE LINK:
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=72279&section=homepage&freebie_check&CFID=
21366601&CFTOKEN=72872858&jsessionid=88301d9b643d1c6e431d

THIS SHOULD BE EVEN MORE MOTIVATION TO COME OUT AND PROTEST AGAINST THESE LIBERALS!!!

WE WILL DEFINATELY STAY OUT PAST 7PM NOW TO PROTEST HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you sick of Obama's cult following toting their "Change you can believe in" signs? Obama is a master of the art of empty rhetoric! Hillary has even called him out on it!
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 11:31:56 AM »
I really like this wall post in the Facebook group (that's where the quoted piece above come from):

Joanna Marino wrote
at 11:45am on March 28th, 2008
I'd rather pay for the war than welfare!

Let people keep their money instead of taxing the "rich"

Obama's "spiritual adviser" portrays the racial double standard.

Also, here's the article from the Herald*:
[Attached as images below]

Note especially the difference in how this student treats Duke's past and how Harald Brevik, Jae Baeker, and Michael Little discuss Bill Ayers' past.  Fascinating.

*UPDATED:  The Grand Forks Herald has changed the online version of this article.  The new version can be purchased here.  I was not able to link directly to the article because it is no longer being offered freely.  This post retains the article as it appears in print versions of the Herald from 2 April, 2008.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:43:13 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 02:30:11 AM »
I wonder what the nature of the protest will be, exactly?
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 10:16:33 AM »
Looks like these guys didn't show up.

I also did not see anybody there to protest Obama and Hillary specifically.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 08:39:36 PM »
Per legal threat from a student towards myself regarding my reposting of this article, I have replaced the copy-and-pasted version from the Herald website with my own scan of a microfiche copy, made at our very own Chester Fritz Library.  The Herald has changed their online version, but according to the person I have communicated with at the Herald, "Nothing in the story was inaccurate, no retractions were issued, and the story was left online all day." 

The microfiche copy (I could not find an original paper copy) is freely available at UND's Chester Fritz Library for anyone who wishes to look.  The online version is just that--a version.  Although the online version was changed after the paper went to press (and probably after the majority of Grand Forks Herald readers saw it), this does not change the historical accuracy of the paper copy.

With the increase in the amount of periodical information that is stored in editable online databases, I fear an increase in the amount of editing that will occur after the fact, with little or no related explanation as to why the information in question was changed.  This is a disservice to the reader, who is trusting the newspaper as a source of information.  If something needs to be changed, I think an official retraction is necessary to make things clear, with an associated note on the online article in question. 

Regarding the truth or falsity of this article I have no comment, but unless the newspaper makes it clear that facts were fabricated to undermine the reputation of a certain individual, I see no reason to not treat this article as a valid historical document.  I try to treat my posts here on Campus Dakota in the same manner; even though I have the power to edit them in perpetuity, I accept the fact that deleting or modifying the post doesn't change what I said, or that I said it at all.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:52:28 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 12:54:35 AM »
Some people have a little to much time on their hands to complain about this...

I find if weird that the herald changed their story also.... Should stick behind it, or post a retraction/edit.... not silently change it.

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 09:46:27 PM »
Nice job Sal making sure CD does not falter under threats.

I have to say I really like the openness on this board.  Though I dont do it terribly often I like to have a place to voice what I think.

Dare I say it?? Maybe there needs to be more controversial things in ND or SD to discuss.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic