Author Topic: GTA IV... sigh  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
GTA IV... sigh
« on: April 30, 2008, 10:40:09 PM »
****** NO SPOILERS PLEASE*******

So... for the first time I don't have a system that supports GTA IV. I decided to buy a Wii because I think that PS3 and 360 are mad overpriced. Plus... my PC is insane.

All I was really worried about losing was GT5.

Onward. I played GTA IV at cuervos for 360 last night. (I only have limited stick time so don't flame if you think I'm off base) I think the physics engine is neato, citing such things as:

1. Slamming into a parking barrier at high speed sent me through the windshield.
2. Running over fire hydrants, the water actually rocks your cars suspension.
3. The deaths and injuries are very "realistic".

It uses the same engine (allegedly) as the one developed for use in The Force Unleashed. I am very impressed with the self preservation characteristics in the game. People will put their hands down to try to push off of a car about to hit them, and people will search for cover when being assailed with a firearm. Another nice touch is that if you simply bump into someone walking up the street and they're carrying something like coffee or something... they will drop it and tell you ur an asshole or something.

I also enjoyed the "realistic" effect of the car handling and damage. Again... I think GTA has sort of gone to the opposite extreme with car handling. I think in their previous games the cars drove unrealistically but very "arcade" and I really liked the ease. These cars handle much more like a car in Gran Turismo would handle, but I feel that its the same level of unrealistic because the handling is very... fake I guess. The different handling characteristics with weather changes are neat, and I like that the damage is more realistic. Also when you hit someone accidentally or purposely blood shows up on your vehicle which (Im told) can be washed off at a car wash instead of just having to hit up the pay'n spray.

The fire and explosions are much better. If you shoot a fuel truck for example, fuel will simply pour out of it at an appropriate bullet hole to internal fuel volume level and if you continue to shoot it the fuel will ignite but not explode. I thought that was pretty fancy. You can also apparently adjust the trim on the boats.

I do unfortunately dislike the fact that there are no planes, jetpacks, or any other flying object besides helicopters. It also doesn't appear that you can swim underwater, and there are no properties to buy or own. Firefighter missions don't seem to showup so I assume there are only taxi and police "missions". Which kinda stinks.

There are also NO BICYCLES!

Overall, I feel like they took alot of the things out of the game that make the random freeplay just awesome. Hopefully they've supplemented it with something during the gameplay that I was unable to notice in my short playing time.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

******NO SPOILERS PLEASE*******
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Meest

• UND
Re: GTA IV... sigh
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 08:36:54 AM »
No Bicycles!!! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!

This just ruined it for me... I can't tell you how long I spend in the last game at the gym working out, then stealing a banana bike to be able to jump my bike over a moving semi.... Yea its non-realistic but it was fun as hell... and the ability to be going as fast as cars on the bike was hillarious also.... only downside is you couldn't do a drive by on it.

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 09:31:19 AM »
Yeah... I agree. I really enjoyed the sort of... day to day "lifestyle" of GTA: SA. In this version, they've added so much but they've taken away a lot of things that I think made the franchise what it was.

I HIGHLY recommend playing the game though. There's still TONS of wow's in there... I'm just curious about the mindless lasting appeal. Lots of people I know will play the missions from start to finish over and over. Not me. Once I beat it, its onto the side missions, and then onto mindless drivel.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 06:16:05 PM »
I may have to give it a try... sometime.

CampusDakota.com

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:17:13 PM »
In GTA 3 i might do one mission every session I played... then I would waste another two hours trying to stack cars up, or build up my biking skills. Was way to much fun that way.

Favorite one was the taxi mission to unlock the special red taxi. that was intense. almost messed it up on ride number 42 or so? i want to say.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything