Author Topic: This article on 'fixies'  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
This article on 'fixies'
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:02:16 AM »
Washington Post (are they even a real newspaper anymore?)

Wrote this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/27/AR2009092703241.html

And it perfectly illustrates why "fixie" needs to be removed further still from my vocabulary. oi that hurt.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: This article on 'fixies'
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »
Awww, the poor little fixie riders can't go up hills :(

Seriously, ride a bicycle because you like to ride it, not because it makes you hip.

JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 11:37:01 AM »
Dude... thats what Im sayin. I dunno if you read the whole article. They wrote one in 2006 I'm told and it wasn't too bad. But this one so blatantly plays to the stereotype of wanting to have a 'fixie' sitting next to you at the coffee shop as opposed to riding it because u like it.

Honestly speaking, while fixed gears are pretty fun they are only limitedly practical in the sense that they are theoretically less complex, and you have FAR superior handling in winter conditions. Bicycles have gears for a reason though.

Again, I'm not against fixed gears at all. I have one, and... I ride it. Lots. But I'm just saying... its more of an enthusiast thing (ie I like it) than a practicality thing for me.

Discuss.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Plantains

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 11:41:18 AM »
Hahaha. This too http://dcist.com/2009/09/new_trends_and_fads_follow.php

Making fun of the Washington Post and the article.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 11:41:59 AM by Guardrail »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 12:07:37 PM »
Bike Snob called this a while ago, didn't he?

Offline Plantains

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 12:16:20 PM »
Well anyone that was involved with it "close to the beginning" I think called it. The fixie craze enabled hipsters which seem to me to already be wannabe hippies to have functional and trendy and urban and hip and whatever other stereotype they need bicycles that functioned. There's no question that a fixed gear is more efficient than the broke ass rides they had originally, you know?

I mean they'd be all over those 3-speeds that Ted found. But those bikes needed work and weren't purty. So this came along with the velocity deep v's and the cool anodized parts.

Anyways... there will always be trends. The sport compact car scene, snap bracelets, fixed gears. I walked into all of these trends though, and have enjoyed my time with them. I still greatly aspire to get another SCC (although I dunno if an EVO could really be considered such with its reputation), I just ordered a case of grey market snap bracelets (don't worry though, I'll saran wrap my wrists before I go slapping myself to an arterial bloodbath)), and I just re-built my fixed gear, and by that I mean took my "gotta get into this trend ASAP conversion bike", and built it into a pretty cool (if I may say so) track-able fixed gear.

The question is... whats next (besides Retro-Direct (which I called)) and how can I profit off of it?

Offline Plantains

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 12:17:08 PM »
PS - Stop self karmaing urself! How did u get 34!!!! No one gives Karma! We only taketh away... from Yost mostly.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 12:46:42 PM »
Hey, people give me karma--who am I to stop them?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic