Author Topic: anyone willing to help?  (Read 3405 times)

Offline trekguy

• UND Cycling Club
anyone willing to help?
« on: March 12, 2010, 03:55:01 PM »
hey, I might be buying an ultegra complete group in the next couple weeks. Ive never switched components on a bike before and im wonderin if anyone would maybe wanna show me how to do this? Also, do I have to buy any special tools?

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
Re: anyone willing to help?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 05:03:26 PM »
I can help you. There is only one special tool that you need, and it is to install the bottom bracket cups. I have that tool. Is there any particular reason why you are going with Ultegra vs Sram Rival or Force? The Sram groups will save you a lot of weight, but if weight is not your concern, then you are OK. Some people also like the Sram for its DoubleTap shifting design and internal cabling. The entire process of switching the group takes about 3-4 hours with tune up.
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline trekguy

• UND Cycling Club
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:20:52 PM »
awesome. I can get a sweet deal on an full ultegra d/a group right now so thats why I'm going that route. Ill probably be picking it up next week if you wanna let me know whenever works for you.

Thanks
Bobby

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 02:52:07 PM »
what type of sweet deal? Just curious... also... Mario is gonna be gone this week for spring training. There are a couple other people around... myself included that can do it. Time does become an issue tho.

What kind of bike is it going on? Are you getting the cables and bartape as well?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline trekguy

• UND Cycling Club
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 03:16:10 PM »
I can get the complete ultegra group with a dura ace rear for $600. Im gonna put it on my 09 trek 1.5. The guy im going to buy it from said he'll throw in the cables with it. I will pick up some bar tape before also.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 09:42:30 PM »
You'll need new cables... the old ones probably won't work. You can re-use your bartape if you want, its just nicer to get new tape for the new build.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline trekguy

• UND Cycling Club
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:58:16 PM »
K, ill probably pick up some bar tape this week. Also, the guy said he'd throw in the new cables with the group. How do i tell the size of the clamp for my front derailleur without removing it?

Offline Plantains

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 03:43:09 PM »
Measure the diameter of your seat tube (in mm)? What bike do you have?

Offline trekguy

• UND Cycling Club
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 03:50:44 PM »
i have an 09 trek 1.5. ill take a look at it and get back to ya.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 04:44:45 PM »
I'm fairly certain it'll be a 34.9. But please check yourself just to be sure!

Offline trekguy

• UND Cycling Club
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »
Ive decided im gonna wait on the groupset till this fall unless i can get a good deal on some sram equipment. Ive read a bunch of reviews and everyone says sram is the way to go so im gonna hold out on this ultegra group. Thanks for the help though.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 08:08:43 PM »
Sram is the way to go for price/quality... but the ultegra groupset is still pretty nice. Just sayin... not telling u to go one way or another... ur deals are ur deals, but there's always gonna be something better/cheaper/lighter no matter when/what u buy.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic