Author Topic: Stolen Bike Listings - Please let us know if your bike was stolen!  (Read 23194 times)

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
In case no one heard... Nic's bike got stolen last night (Halloween) outside Mario's place.

Its a silver schwinn frame (fixed gear) with an Alex wheelset. I think it has regular drop bars on it. He can explain better I'm sure, but if anyone sees this bike, put a lock on it and call me or someone to get ahold of Nic.

Please keep an eye out.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:59:52 AM by Sal Atticum »
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Stolen Bike Listing:
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 02:52:23 PM »
The fork is straight silver and the straps on the toe clips (metal) don't match.

The saddle has a custom brown cover.

Both brake-lever bosses are on the bars, but only one has a lever.

I don't seem to have a photo of it (will keep looking) but Ted got this one during the AlleyCat.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:53:30 PM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline chilean_luv

• UND
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 03:30:07 PM »
thanks guys for posting that
the handlebar wraps are also half black and half white, front and rear cateye lights, and it had a steel cable with combo running along the top bar. The front fork was actually unpainted steel with some rusting on it.
Thanks guys

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 03:57:43 PM »
I hit up most of the bike racks on campus on my way to school today with no luck.  It also doesn't appear to be sticking out of the coulee, but that doesn't mean much :(

Offline Flutterbye

• UND
  • Skeletor rides again!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 06:33:33 PM »
Amber and I just made a sweep around the apts here, no luck yet either :(
If you're overweight, we're towing away your car.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Stolen Bike Listings
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
If you've lost a bicycle recently, we picked one up at the north end of the Columbia overpass today.  Describe the color of the frame and the handlebars and we'll see what we can do.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:35:05 PM »
Is it cool? Coz then I think its mine :P
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 03:58:16 PM »
Does it have shocks and pegs?!? LUCKY!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 08:24:47 PM »
Not my bicycle, but my HELMET (Red 2004 Giro Monza) was stolen from Northern Heights Rock Gym in Grand Cities Mall this evening (I discovered this a little before 7 pm).

IN ADDITION, these things were inside the helmet:
- my mobile phone (Blue LG Chocolate, the original vertically sliding one)
- my card case (green Timbuktu) with my student ID, driver's license, two credit cards, a check card, etc.
- my keys with my apartment keys, office key, vehicle key, etc., and a jump drive
- my Nike watch
- my sunglasses (red)
- a blue bandana (might as well list everything)

If you see any of these items in an odd place, please let me know and/or accost the person.  I will be unable to be reached by phone this evening (unless you call Ali) but I hope to have one tomorrow sometime.

It is my suspicion that one of the so-called "mall walkers" saw me placing these items in my helmet, then placing my helmet in the BACK of a cubby, then proceeded with their thievery once the coast was clear (i.e., we were all climbing).  If anyone in the mall saw someone walking around with a red bicycle helmet, I'd like to hear about it.

I checked all the trash cans and dumpsters I could find around the mall for cast-off items (the helmet, maybe?), but I didn't see anything.

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 09:45:09 AM »
Sorry to hear that Beek.
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 10:38:19 PM »
I am posting this for one of our fellow riders, and he says

Hi und cycling I am emailing you guys to keep your eyes out for a Tommaso Imola out there. It is all black with white branding, and it has a orange bontragger water bottle holder, and basket pedals! Mine was stolen this past weekend from my house. Please post here if you see it around.
Alone you are an athlete but on a bike you are a rocket

Offline Plantains

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 10:47:06 PM »
Notice to all bike thieves.

If I catch you on a stolen bike. You'll be getting U-lock justice. (see diagram)

And I'll catch you. I'm the sprinter.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Stolen Bike Listings - Please let us know if your bike was stolen!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 11:14:30 AM »
This keeps coming up recently, so I want to make a few points.  It seems like every third person I talk to says something to the effect of "I did have a bike up here, but it was stolen last semester."  This is stupid, not because your stuff is getting stolen, but because it happened in the first place.  We have a lot of club members, we know a lot of people, and we can get the word out about your ride if it goes missing.  PLEASE post here if your bike was stolen, if only so we can figure out how predominant this sort of thing is on UND campus (I doubt anyone else is keeping track).

Not blaming anyone for their bicycle getting stolen, just ask that you ask for help if it does.

Some other things to think about:
- If your bike gets stolen, report it to the police (campus or otherwise).  If they don't know what is happening, they can't do anything about it.  Also, if you give them a good description or a photo, they can call you when they recover or find material that may have been stolen.
- Go take a photo of your bike right now (right now!).  Write down the serial number.  Then if it goes missing you have that much more information to give us and the police.
- Buy a lock and use it correctly.  Make sure the lock can't be slipped off the bicycle or the thing to which you're locking it.  You wouldn't believe how many bicycles I could own if I snagged every one I saw on campus that had a cable lock you could just slip off.
- Finally, keep your eye out for suspiciousness (I can't believe spell check is letting that through).  If it looks like someone is messing with a bike, or riding a bike that isn't the right size, or just acting jumpy, call them out.  Chat he or she up about the bike and remember what it looks like, then check here to see if anything is missing.  A physical description of a potential thief could help the police out a lot more.

We now return to what will hopefully remain a quiet thread--but only if this means nobody's stuff is getting stolen.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 01:50:33 PM »
QFT!

This keeps coming up recently, so I want to make a few points.  It seems like every third person I talk to says something to the effect of "I did have a bike up here, but it was stolen last semester."  This is stupid, not because your stuff is getting stolen, but because it happened in the first place.  We have a lot of club members, we know a lot of people, and we can get the word out about your ride if it goes missing.  PLEASE post here if your bike was stolen, if only so we can figure out how predominant this sort of thing is on UND campus (I doubt anyone else is keeping track).

Not blaming anyone for their bicycle getting stolen, just ask that you ask for help if it does.

Some other things to think about:
- If your bike gets stolen, report it to the police (campus or otherwise).  If they don't know what is happening, they can't do anything about it.  Also, if you give them a good description or a photo, they can call you when they recover or find material that may have been stolen.
- Go take a photo of your bike right now (right now!).  Write down the serial number.  Then if it goes missing you have that much more information to give us and the police.
- Buy a lock and use it correctly.  Make sure the lock can't be slipped off the bicycle or the thing to which you're locking it.  You wouldn't believe how many bicycles I could own if I snagged every one I saw on campus that had a cable lock you could just slip off.
- Finally, keep your eye out for suspiciousness (I can't believe spell check is letting that through).  If it looks like someone is messing with a bike, or riding a bike that isn't the right size, or just acting jumpy, call them out.  Chat he or she up about the bike and remember what it looks like, then check here to see if anything is missing.  A physical description of a potential thief could help the police out a lot more.

We now return to what will hopefully remain a quiet thread--but only if this means nobody's stuff is getting stolen.

Offline bill_jancewicz

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »
Missing: Red Schwinn coaster-brake "cruiser", picked up at police auction in June 2011, kept at the bike rack inside the Johnstone Fulton Smith courtyard. Distinguished by a nice wicker basket on the handlebar. Not a "valuable" bike by any means, but it was one that my wife finally found the suited her. Newly painted (dark red), no fenders, big springy seat. Checked all the bike racks within three blocks of here, no luck. We'll be here all summer. [email protected]

Offline Plantains

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 10:38:32 AM »
any pics Bill?

When was it stolen? Was it locked up or not?

Offline bill_jancewicz

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 05:06:43 PM »
sorry, no pictures and the lock was rolled up in the basket. We read your handy notes about "go and take a picture now" and "write down the serial number" AFTER it was gone. Our bad, we know. We are thinking of getting a K-mart lady's "Cruiser" bike to replace it for the summer. Up until it disappeared we rode together every day--not much, just up and down the coulee, but it made for a pleasant exercise.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 12:07:44 AM »
sorry, no pictures and the lock was rolled up in the basket. We read your handy notes about "go and take a picture now" and "write down the serial number" AFTER it was gone. Our bad, we know. We are thinking of getting a K-mart lady's "Cruiser" bike to replace it for the summer. Up until it disappeared we rode together every day--not much, just up and down the coulee, but it made for a pleasant exercise.

Bill thats awful. What type of budget do you have? And where are you located (In Grand Forks possibly?)... Terry at SBS may be able to work something out so you don't have to go the "crappy bike" route...

Let us know what we can help out with... tell Terry that UND Cycling sent you that way and I'm sure he'll be able to get you a deal. Tell him we insist :lol:

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 08:59:27 AM »
And if your budget is really small, I have a women's schwinn 26" (cheap bike) that my wife never uses.   

It looks like:
http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/10927843/26-schwinn-link-womens-comfort-bike-reviews/reviews.htm

Current version:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Women-s-Schwinn-Link-Comfort-Bike/13398152

The thing has been used like a half dozen times and has been kept in a shed for its life.  Basically new.  You can have it for $75?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything