Author Topic: Why millennials can’t start their careers and baby boomers can’t end theirs.  (Read 7929 times)

Offline zman

• NDSU
It’s hard to say this spring whether it’s more difficult for the class of 2011 to enter the labor force or for the class of 1967 to leave it.

Students now finishing their schooling—the class of 2011—are confronting a youth unemployment rate above 17 percent. The problem is compounding itself as those collecting high school or college degrees jostle for jobs with recent graduates still lacking steady work. “The biggest problem they face is, they are still competing with the class of 2010, 2009, and 2008,” says Matthew Segal, cofounder of Our Time, an advocacy group for young people.

At the other end, millions of graying baby boomers—the class of 1967—are working longer than they intended because the financial meltdown vaporized the value of their homes and 401(k) plans. For every member of the millennial generation frustrated that she can’t start a career, there may be a baby boomer frustrated that he can’t end one.

Since December 2006, the employment-to-population rate for young people has fallen by a dizzying 10 percentage points, from about 55 percent to just 45 percent. That decline, much sharper than in previous recessions, has reduced the share of employed young people to the lowest levels in 60 years.

By contrast, the employment-to-population rate for older Americans is slightly higher today (37.6 percent) than it was in December 2006 (37.4 percent). During the long slowdown, no other age group has increased its labor-force participation, notes Heidi Shierholz, an economist at the liberal Economic Policy Institute.

Together, these twin trends have produced an economy in which the oldest workers are now nearly as likely to be employed as the youngest. From January 1948 through September 2009, the labor-force-participation rate of older Americans came within 8 percentage points of the rate among younger people in only one month. Since October 2009, the difference between the two groups has been 8 percentage points or less in every month. One side can’t start working; the other can’t stop.

These labor-market trends might be viewed as complementary or even as a benign opportunity for Americans to space out their work life over a different span—from 24 to 68, say, instead of 21 to 65. After all, as life expectancies lengthen, the U.S. can’t afford its social-safety net without extending the retirement age. But that would require a systematic effort to help young people use their early 20s to expand their skills and experiences. That’s not happening.

Instead, what economists call the idleness rate is rising: The share of Americans younger than 24 neither at work nor in school has steadily increased since 2007. That disconnection creates the risk of what Harvard University labor economist Lawrence Katz calls “a lost generation.”

Faster overall job growth would be the best antidote to that threat. But the particular problems of young people demand more-targeted responses. Colleges and universities must see to it that more students don’t just start their degrees but also complete them. As Segal says, those institutions must also accept “greater responsibility to ensure” that those graduates leave with skills employers need. Washington, meanwhile, should consider further expansion of AmeriCorps and other service opportunities for this civic-minded generation.

Above all, the class of 1967, which is growing reflexively hostile to government spending, needs to realize the interest it shares with the class of 2011: Unless today’s young people ascend into well-paying jobs, it won’t be possible to finance Social Security and Medicare for tomorrow’s seniors.

The full article can be found at http://www.nationaljournal.com/columns/political-connections/our-upside-down-workforce-20110609

This is not a good situation for anyone, but what can be done?  :-\

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Thankfully an article that doesn't lump the class of 2005 into "millennials."

I wish I knew what could be done.  Off the top of my head, reforming healthcare, if done properly, would make it easier/cheaper to hire more people at each business, allowing everyone more flexibility of schedule due to the greater number of employees, resulting in a more solid business (always someone available to work), but it would also mean potentially fewer hours for each person.  Still, a job is a job at some point.

Makes me wonder as well, if you don't worry about healthcare, how much does it cost per employee to "hire" someone? 
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
I wonder how much of an issue this has always been.  By that I mean what percentage of people has their always been that cannot retire because they don't have the savings?  Since there is now a greater focus on saving money for retirement you would think the percent of cases like this would decrease.

Is there a solution to the current issue?  I don't think so, unless perhaps we do something really radical.  The lack of jobs for those graduating is going to have a long term negative impact on them and the economy.  Will this lead to a bigger issue down the road?  Is anyone even concerned about this -- in that someone is trying to figure out what to do?

I realize I am asking a lot of questions and not providing any answers.  But something to start pondering.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
In completely unrelated news . . . I think North Dakota has one of the highest success rates for small businesses.  Just sayin', for people who are having horrible luck finding jobs.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
In completely unrelated news . . . I think North Dakota has one of the highest success rates for small businesses.  Just sayin', for people who are having horrible luck finding jobs.

Why do you suppose they have such a high success rate?  Low taxes, available resources, incubators, etc.?
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota

Why do you suppose they have such a high success rate?  Low taxes, available resources, incubators, etc.?

You've got me.  Off the top of my head it might be general aversion to risk, and so with fewer businesses getting started, there are fewer to fail (and only the sure bets get started).

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Makes sense.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything