Author Topic: AP: Obama 'effectively' clinches  (Read 8426 times)

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
AP: Obama 'effectively' clinches
« on: June 03, 2008, 02:43:44 PM »
AP: Obama 'effectively' clinches
From staff and wire reports

WASHINGTON — Barack Obama effectively clinched the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday, based on an Associated Press tally of convention delegates, becoming the first black candidate ever to lead his party into a fall campaign for the White House.

Campaigning on an insistent call for change, Obama outlasted former first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton in a historic race that sparked record turnout in primary after primary, yet exposed deep racial divisions within the party.

The AP tally was based on public commitments from delegates as well as more than a dozen private commitments. It also included a minimum number of delegates Obama was guaranteed even if he lost the final two primaries in South Dakota and Montana later in the day.The former first lady will stop short of formally suspending or ending her race in her speech in New York City, said the officials who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity, because they were not authorized to divulge her plans.

The tally comes after Clinton officials strongly denied reports earlier Tuesday that their candidate was about to concede.

Terry McAuliffe, Clinton's campaign chairman, told CNN that an earlier AP report of an imminent concession was "100% reporting incorrectly."

"I don't know who the officials are, but anyone can be an official in this world. I can unequivocally say as chairman of this campaign that until someone has the numbers this nomination fight continues on," he said."The race goes on," he added.

The officials said Clinton will pledge to continue to speak out on issues like health care.

Most campaign staff will be let go and will be paid through June 15, said the officials.

The advisers said Clinton has made a strategic decision to not formally end her campaign, giving her leverage to negotiate with Obama on various matters including a possible vice presidential nomination for her.

She also wants to press him on issues he should focus on in the fall, such as health care.

House Majority Whip Rep. James Clyburn, D-S.C., a superdelegate who endorsed Obama Monday, said in a conference call Tuesday that the floodgates are opening for delegates to support Obama.

House Budget Committee Chairman John Spratt, D-S.C., is expected to endorse Obama Tuesday along with Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, D-Mich., and chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, Clyburn said.

He also said Tom Moore, a South Carolina delegate pledged to John Edwards, and Ralph Dawson, another delegate from the state, both will endorse Obama Tuesday.

Clyburn, the highest ranking African American in Congress, said Clinton dropping out of the race on Tuesday would be "just a technicality."

When asked if Obama should pick her as vice president, he said "I would not be insulted by that."

Obama told a small group of reporters Monday that he's offered to meet Clinton on her terms "once the dust settled" to discuss a unified strategy to win back the White House.

"The sooner we can bring the party together, the sooner we can focus on John McCain," he said.

Clinton prepared for a campaign rally Tuesday night in her home state of New York — a departure for the senator, who usually gathers supporters after a caucus or a primary in a state where she's been campaigning. Top donors have been invited to attend the rally.

The final primaries take place Tuesday in Montana and South Dakota, where a total of 31 delegates are at stake.

Obama is about 40 short of the 2,118 delegates needed to win the nomination. His campaign expects he'll lock it up by the end of the week with the help of superdelegates, the party leaders who are free to endorse any candidate.

Clinton's biggest supporter, her husband, hinted that the end could be near. "This may be the last day I'm ever involved in a campaign of this kind," former president Bill Clinton told voters in Milbank, S.D.

Hassan Nemazee, co-chairman of Hillary Clinton's finance team, said Clinton has not been specific about her endgame.

"I think she's a political realist … and will determine at the appropriate time what's best, not only for herself, but for the party," Nemazee said.

For the second day in a row, Obama tossed verbal bouquets at Clinton before a crowd of his supporters. He assured them that the Democratic rift will be repaired.

"She and I will be working together in November," Obama told a crowd of about 3,000 at the Troy High School gym.

Sunday, Clinton sounded a conciliatory note, saying she wanted "to recognize Sen. Obama and his supporters" as she heralded her win in the Puerto Rico primary.

Obama told a South Dakota crowd Sunday that Clinton will be "a great asset" in the general election campaign.

Political observers say Obama's shift in tone signals that he's trying to bring the contest to an amicable conclusion.

"He is reaching out to Hillary and trying to make it easier for her," said James Thurber, a political scientist at American University.

Kathy Bushkin Calvin, spokeswoman for Gary Hart's unsuccessful Democratic presidential campaign in 1984, said the stage needs to be set for the campaigns to find common ground.

"The goal is to find a way for face to be saved, for credit to be paid and for a platform to be created that supporters can stand on together," she said.

Ron Walters, a political scientist at the University of Maryland, said Obama's wooing of Clinton at this stage should not be viewed as a possibility that he is thinking of her as a running mate. The outreach is "designed to open the door as widely as possible to her constituency," Walters says, including white women who have not supported Obama in previous contests. "He's trying to convince them that he respects her."

Contributing: Fredreka Schouten; Kathy Kiely in Troy, Mich.; and the Associated Press
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-06-03-clinton-delegates_N.htm?csp=34

Its about time
CampusDakota.com

Offline goon

• UND
Re: AP: Obama 'effectively' clinches
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 10:00:52 PM »
Hillary will not be the VP, and Obama better now turn his back on Hillary for a moment.
Look for that October surprise and it won't be from a republican.

Offline red hibiscus

• UND
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 11:49:57 PM »
Hillary better NOT be the VP... she'd find some hair-brained way to take over office after the second or third day of Obama's presidency.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 10:14:04 AM »
From the GF Herald:
CAIRO — This column will probably get Barack Obama in trouble, but that’s not my problem. I cannot tell a lie: Many Egyptians and other Arab Muslims really like him and hope that he wins the presidency.
Full article.

I was expecting some sort of hate-filled rant toward Obama in this article when I started (just like the radio ad with the crazy lady for John McCain who denounces Obama as a "black male" who is not Clinton; I figured this article would go along the lines of "furriners like Obama cuz they can walk all over him"), but I was suitably impressed.

The point the author is making is that the USA electing Obama as president (even "allowing" him to vote) is hopeful in itself, at least to people in other countries who actually do see Obama as a symbol of what America is really about.  I thought it was very interesting.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 09:15:42 PM »
Yeah, when I first started reading it I had the same reaction... more Obama smearing.  The article did improve and I agree that it was actually rather interesting.

The sad thing about the whole smearing is that its all about race and his background, assumptions are automatically made.  Obama even had to make a website to deal with it: http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/fightthesmearshome/
CampusDakota.com

Offline goon

• UND
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 08:01:14 PM »
Hillary better NOT be the VP... she'd find some hair-brained way to take over office after the second or third day of Obama's presidency.

Lets not be silly.

Offline netgeer

• UND
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 12:16:41 PM »
u people all love obama 4 some reason.  y?

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 03:10:02 PM »

I guess I like his policies and I want to see some change in old Washington, but thats just me.
CampusDakota.com

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 03:30:35 PM »
Obama is going to fix this county.
N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

Offline goon

• UND
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:44:52 AM »

I guess I like his policies and I want to see some change in old Washington, but thats just me.
So you're a fan of big government, marixism, high taxes, fairness doctrine, gun confiscation, socialized medicine and other extreme liberal policies.

Lets not forget Obama's questionable friends William Ayers, Wrong Reverand Right just to name a few...

Offline goon

• UND
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 11:46:05 AM »
Obama is going to fix this county.

Yep he is going to promote high gas prices, taxing the heck out of everyone and appeasement. That is a great plan.

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 10:02:26 PM »
I dont know about akjet or anyone else but I am a fan of change and I believe we will see it with obama, rather than McCain who is just same old.

Look at what bush did to the country.

So goon what are you basing your comments on or are you just listening to the republican political machine?

I am for a govt that is efficient and effective, if it needs to be bigger in some areas to ensure the success of our country then fine do it. 

Marxism in what way? 

High taxes, well I would call it appropriate taxes on those that need to pitch in. Remember we will be paying down the bush debt.  trillions.

Fairness Doctorine, I dont know enough about it or Obama's stance to comment.

Gun confiscation: you mean fair gun laws.  I canr wait for people to go touting off about this.

Its not socialized medicine, it is ensuring that everyone has the ability to be cared for.  You dont feel the need to help the less fortunate?

What are the extreme liberal policies?

Questionable friends, ok if you say so.  Lets not forget all of the republicans that have questionable friends.  I think if I started listing them the message board would explode.

Yes he wants high gas prices, in fact he came up to me and said screw all of the Americans I just want them to suffer with high gas prices.  Its not like he is an oil barron making a ton of money like someone I am sure you dont fault, bush the oil barron.

Taxing the heck out of people, ok if you say so.  Taxing for certain services is fair and just.

What no comment on his middle name or background?

*sigh*

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
Barack Obama prepares to name running mate
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 02:58:17 PM »

Apparently he has already picked his running mate but it could be any number of people.

The article says you can signup for a text message to be the first to hear whom it is, I think I will sign up. For the email sign up go to http://www.barackobama.com/splash/first_to_know.html
N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 08:24:36 PM »

Any guess who it will be?  I personally have no idea, a few weeks ago I would have thought Edwards, but not anymore.
CampusDakota.com

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Obama picks Biden
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 06:06:32 PM »
VP pick Biden hits the ground running
Associated Press
Published Sunday, August 24, 2008

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – Barack Obama introduced Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware on Saturday as “a leader ready to step in and be president,” and the newly named running mate quickly converted his debut on the Democratic ticket into a slashing attack on Republican John McCain.

The GOP presidential contender will have to “figure out which of the seven kitchen tables to sit at” when considering his own economic future, said Biden, jabbing at the man he nevertheless called his personal friend.

It was a reference to McCain’s recent inartful admission – in a time of economic uncertainty – that he was not sure how many homes he owns.

Before a vast crowd spilling out from the front of the Old State Capitol, Obama said Biden was “what many others pretend to be – a statesman with sound judgment who doesn’t have to hide behind bluster to keep America strong.”

Democrats coalesced quickly around the 47-year-old Obama’s selection of a seasoned veteran of three decades in the Senate – a choice meant to provide foreign policy heft to the party’s ticket for the fall campaign against McCain and the Republicans.

Read on at http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=212570&section=news

Looks like a good pick to balance Obama

Dorgan says Biden choice good for ND
Kelly Smith, Forum
Published Sunday, August 24, 2008

Byron Dorgan sits directly in front of Joe Biden in the U.S. Senate. But now he’s behind his political peer.

The Democratic senator is supportive of Sen. Barack Obama’s decision to have Biden join his presidential ticket as a vice presidential candidate.

“It’s a very strong team,” Dorgan said. “I think this significantly strengthens the campaign.”

While the country was abuzz with the news Saturday, Dorgan wasn’t surprised Biden was chosen as a vice presidential candidate. He said he’s predicted for days that his friend of 25 years would be selected as Obama’s presidential partner.

Read on at http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=212577&section=news
CampusDakota.com

Offline red hibiscus

• UND
Re: Obama picks Biden
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 08:20:44 PM »
Oops. Almost as good as when he said he'd visited 57 states back during the primary season. In true political fashion, the McCain camp was quick to leap on the blunder...

Obama Misspeaks, Calls Biden 'The Next President'; Biden Calls Obama 'Barack America'

ABC News' Sara Just reports: Journalists who were awake until the wee hours waiting for confirmation that Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., was indeed Barack Obama's running mate, cannot be blamed if their hearing is a little fuzzy today.

But after today's Obama-Biden speeches to a massive crowd in Springfield, Ill., many reporters are rolling back the tape and asking each other, "Did he really say that?"

When introducing his running mate, Obama said, "So let me introduce to you the next president - the next vice president of the US of America, Joe Biden."

And then when it was Biden's turn to speak, the Delaware senator called the presumptive Democratic nominee "Barack America" instead of Barack Obama.

"My friends, I don't have to tell you, this election year the choice is clear. One man stands ready to deliver change we desperately need. A man I’m proud to call my friend. A man who will be the next president of the United States, Barack America,” Biden said, per ABC News' Sunlen Miller...

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/08/obama-misspea-1.html

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Obama picks Biden
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 11:13:57 AM »
oops ;)
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything