Author Topic: New neighbor for NDSU?  (Read 8907 times)

Offline ge_bjf007

• NDSU
New neighbor for NDSU?
« on: February 13, 2007, 09:49:41 PM »
New neighbor for NDSU?
Mike Nowatzki
The Forum - 02/10/2007

A proposed housing and retail development project across the street from North Dakota State University fits well with a broader effort to spruce up the 12th Avenue North corridor through campus, officials said Friday.

Roger Gilbertson, president of FM City Development LLC, plans to raze two rental properties along 12th Avenue North and replace them with a three-story building with 9,100 square feet of retail space on the main floor and

14 three-bedroom apartments on the top two floors.

A coffee shop and sandwich shop will likely occupy the retail space, said Gilbertson, son of MeritCare President and CEO Roger Gilbertson.

The project covers three lots ? 1414, 1416 and 1420

12th Avenue North ? now valued at $232,000. When the project is finished, the value will exceed $1.8 million, he said.

Gilbertson will present the project to Fargo city commissioners Monday to gauge support for the concept and his request for $750,000 in tax increment financing from the city.

Fargo Planning Director Jim Gilmour said Gilbertson?s project fits well with ongoing efforts to dress up 12th Avenue North. A street reconstruction project scheduled for 2008 is expected to include decorative lighting and other features to make the street more pedestrian-friendly.

Gilbertson has requested a zoning change for his property, from multifamily residential to limited commercial with a conditional-use permit for the housing.

Gilmour said his office will support the request.

?Anytime you can get student housing real close to campus, it?s a few less students trying to rent housing in a real residential neighborhood,? he said.

Gilbertson said he?s worked closely with NDSU to ensure the design and brick fa?ade tie in with campus buildings.

John Adams, NDSU?s vice president for business and finance, said the project will provide much-needed housing for a growing student body.

?We think it?s a great idea,? Adams said.

Gilbertson said 10 to 12 students living in the two houses targeted for demolition will receive relocation assistance if demolition starts in April as planned. He hopes to complete the project by September.

Gilmour said the two houses are in poor enough condition to warrant tax increment financing assistance to cover the cost of demolition, along with site improvements, architect fees, attorney fees, administration fees and additional funds for the sidewalk.

Gilbertson also has agreed to install a 10-foot-wide sidewalk along the alley that borders NDSU?s ?T? student parking lot behind the proposed project, Gilmour said. Students now walk through the alley to get to the parking lot, creating a dangerous situation, he said.

Gilbertson said he owns two other properties on the same block that he hopes to develop in the future.

Readers can reach Forum reporter

Mike Nowatzki at (701) 241-5528

Sounds like a sweet deal to me.  Get er done.
Go Bison!

Offline zman

• NDSU
Re: New neighbor for NDSU?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 12:27:10 AM »
I agree... build it  ;D

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 08:55:34 PM »
Anything to clean up the boundaries around NDSU is a good thing.

Now they need to demolish that old grocery store... POS
N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

Offline bisonguy

• NDSU
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 10:46:16 PM »
I like the idea.  Just what a DI school needs.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 07:07:41 PM »
Its taken a bit of time, but the buildings are coming along nicely.
CampusDakota.com

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 05:00:37 PM »
Its taken a bit of time, but the buildings are coming along nicely.

That they are.  I like this visual impact more then anything.  What restaurants are going in the buildings?

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »

What restaurants are going in the buildings?

I heard Jimmy Johns and Starbucks, other then that I dont know.
CampusDakota.com

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 02:49:41 PM »
They are getting closer and closer to being done.  I wonder how much it costs to rent an apt.?

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 06:32:43 PM »
They are getting closer and closer to being done.  I wonder how much it costs to rent an apt.?

$1,100 - $1,175/month

www.bisonblock.com

While it would be nice to live that close, I dont want to pay that much or put all the effort into moving.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 07:42:40 PM »
!
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 02:33:55 PM »
The exterior is almost finished for one of the buildings (interior is coming along) and they stated demolishing some of the other houses today.

CampusDakota.com

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 03:20:39 PM »
Jitters Coffee is now open and Jimmy Johns (Subs) is suppose to open soon.  A third restaurant is to be in place by the beginning of next year.  Most of the apartments are now rented.

They have also started work on the second building that will house more students and provide some classroom and administrative space for students.

These buildings are really enhancing that side of campus and are great additions.

For more info take a look at the Forum Article at http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=213410&section=business
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic