Author Topic: Lowering the drinking age  (Read 5102 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Lowering the drinking age
« on: October 11, 2006, 04:59:22 PM »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline wxgirl

• UND
Re: Lowering the drinking age
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 05:26:53 PM »
I dunno I think if you can be 18 and fight for your country you should be allowed to drink as well.  However, when the drinking age is 18 and people have had their licenses for maybe a year or two leads to a lot higher drunk driving (was one of the reasons it got raised back to 21 in MI).  I think before the age could be lowered drunk driving penalties would need to be changed to be very very severe. 

Then again I was one of the kids mentioned in the article I got to have a wine or beer or wine cooler with my meal when I was an older teenager or whenever I wanted one.  Also my paretns drank a lot so I got the opinion I do not want to be that dependant on alkie when I grow up.  So my opinion is probably different than most people on drinking age.
"Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet for certain"~DMB

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 08:45:29 PM »
It's the culture that needs to change,a nd the only way to do that is through individual families.  Denying someone something just because a deal was made between the states and the federal government to raise the drinking age is not the way to go about making people understand what idiots alchohol can turn them into.

Offline roben.anderson

• UND
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 02:06:41 PM »
I think that with an age that's relatively old (compared to other countries), kids just want it more, and that makes them want to drink more. I think that if we give them a drink when they're really young, they'll learn that drinking tastes bad, or something like that, and wont like it at all. That's a bit extreme, but it'd be something like that. There's less alcoholics in other countries that have lower age limits. I think our culture needs to change as well.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 10:48:26 AM »
Having a drink at a young age and not liking the taste of it is not going to turn someone off to alcohol for the rest of their lives.  I didn't like pickles when I was a kid, and now I do. 

The difference here compared with some other countries is that someone stumbling around drunk here is entertainment, whereas somewhere else it might be considered a disgrace.

Offline netgeer

• UND
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 10:40:03 PM »
i def think the drinking age should be 18 so we can all go out.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything