Author Topic: Chancellor Goetz wants to speed up nickname timeline  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Chancellor Goetz wants to speed up nickname timeline
« on: September 13, 2008, 09:36:01 AM »
Goetz says he wants to speed up timeline for nickname resolution
Ryan Schuster Grand Forks Herald
Published Saturday, September 13, 2008
North Dakota University System Chancellor William Goetz said the process of seeking an agreement over the use of UND’s Fighting Sioux nickname and logo continues with no resolution in sight. But Goetz said he is hopeful a decision will be reached well before the three-year window for a deal expires.

A settlement agreement with the NCAA reached last October requires UND to gain approval from the tribal councils of both the Spirit Lake and Standing Rock Sioux reservations to retain its nickname and logo or retire them by Nov. 30, 2010.

“We can’t wait until November 2010,” Goetz said Friday during a meeting with the Herald’s editorial board. “When 2010 comes, we need to have a foundation in place with plans for a transition. All parties need to understand there will be some type of a transition.”

During Friday’s editorial board meeting, Goetz also stressed that UND and North Dakota State University should work together when possible, the importance of the university system attracting more non-traditional students, the need for more financial aid and keeping college tuition affordable for North Dakota students.

Goetz said he has discussed the nickname issue with tribal chairs, who have declined to support the school’s nickname and logo, but “they have held fast that their position hasn’t changed.”

He said forcing reservation-wide referendums on the issue won’t provide a long-term solution.

Goetz said he continues to discuss the situation with UND officials and State Board of Higher Education members, who will act on his eventual recommendation.

“This is a very emotional issue,” he said. “It has been very divisive in my mind. It has been very bad for the university and given it a negative image. This cannot continue. We need to bring this to a final resolution.”

But Goetz said it is not a forgone conclusion that UND’s nickname will be changed.

He said some type of resolution may be able to be reached between the parties. Goetz said he has discussed an option short of changing the nickname with tribal chairs, but declined to provide any specifics.

“We need to keep the door open,” he said.

Possibilities

Goetz said it is possible that the school’s Indian head logo could be changed with the nickname remaining the same or similar. He also said it is possible for the history of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo to be preserved in some way even if the nickname is changed.

Goetz estimated it could cost $1 million to remove most of the thousands of Fighting Sioux logos from Ralph Engelstad Arena, the hockey team’s home arena. He said Ralph Engelstad Arena officials are not willing to foot the bill for the potential removal of the logos.

The privately-owned arena was not a party to the settlement agreement with the NCAA last fall.

The arena’s board of directors and the Engelstad family have strongly supported keeping the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo. REA officials have declined to say if they would agree to a nickname or logo change, especially if it meant removing logos from the arena or losing the ability to host NCAA postseason events.

Maintain relationship

Goetz said he hopes to maintain a relationship with the Engelstad Foundation “that has been most positive for the university.”

“These are challenging days in terms of working through this,” he said.

But Goetz said a resolution in the best interest of UND and the state of North Dakota needs to be reached as soon as possible.

“Time is of the essence,” he said. “It is important that we continue to move this along. In my mind it has to happen sooner. How many years do we need?”

Regardless of the final decision, Goetz said nickname opponents and proponents will need to find some common ground and move forward in the best interest of everyone involved.

“This is not something that’s going to be decided and it will be over with,” Goetz said. “There will be healing involved.”

Schuster covers business. Reach him at (701) 780-1107; (800) 477-6572, ext. 107; or send e-mail to [email protected]. Read his business blog at www.areavoices.com/bizbuzz.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=86572&section=homepage

Everyone probably knows what I think of this.  Do you think the timeline should be accelerated?  Which "side" do you think would win out with an accelerated timeline?  What do you think of the REA's steadfast refusal to have anything to do with changing the arena should the nickname be changed?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Meest

• UND
Re: Chancellor Goetz wants to speed up nickname timeline
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:43:50 AM »
The REA is a separate entity. The Nick Name was a stipulation from the start. They have no reason to change the REA at all. I don't see a problem with it at all. Although I would wonder how the licensing rights for the name "Fighting Sioux" are going to do. Will UND still hold them? for how long? Will the REA have to pay them for the display of the logo?

Does the NCAA have a ruling on that? or is it just change the name and you can still make money on licensing the old name?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Chancellor Goetz wants to speed up nickname timeline
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 08:26:38 AM »
You know, that's interesting.  Because in theory couldn't UND just say "Sorry Ralph" and pull their permission for the REA to use the logo?  I doubt it will happen, because the REA will threaten to not allow UND to play hockey or basketball, but seriously, they aren't going to make money without those sports in there.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything